Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: PFT: "Kurt looks like krap."

I don't see how throwing a rookie QB to the wolves is beneficial in any way.

I don't care how much talent they have, in my opinion, there is no way that a year on the bench behind an established starter is not beneficial to a QB. Especially if it's a team with a suspect offensive line, in which case there is an increased chance of a major injury. Of course, if the team has no other competent starter, that's a different story.
    Last edited by Yodude; -08-05-2004 at 07:58 PM.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    With the exception of Elway, none of those players really improved their team during their rookie campaign. Does Ditka think that New Yorkers will stand for another 4-12 season?
    I don't think Elway really improved the Broncos his rookie year. He only started 10 games, getting benched after the first 5 and was 17th in passing in the AFC. But the experience most have been valuable because the following year the Broncos were something like 12-4.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    Of course, if the team has no other competent starter, that's a different story.
    Great point, because the Giants do have a competent (or so they think) starter. I think At least in terms of the last year or two, franchises can afford to let their star rookie QB sit because they have other options. Carson Palmer in Cincy, Byron Leftwich in Jacksonville. They had other options.

However, I think there is some benefit to letting the QB get out there and compete first hand in their rookie year. Look at Kyle Boller. He's a talented guy who didn't perform well in his time, but I'm sure that experience under his belt is pricesless in terms of his progression as a quarterback. Meanwhile, the pressure on someone like Palmer, who hasn't played one regular season game, to come in and start has to be huge, especially since Kitna had a near Pro Bowl season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    I don't think Elway really improved the Broncos his rookie year. He only started 10 games, getting benched after the first 5 and was 17th in passing in the AFC. But the experience most have been valuable because the following year the Broncos were something like 12-4.
    I'll take your word on it. I was just basing it off of the Broncos' record in Elway's rookie year (9-7) vs. the year before (2-7, strike-shortened). I honestly have no idea how much Elway played that year, I assumed it was his show with the way Ditka was talking, but as you say that may have been a false assumption.

Well then, with this new knowledge it now looks like none of the QB's mentioned in Ditka's remarks made major impact during their rookie year. Knowing that, wouldn't it be better for the Giants to let Manning observe the game for a season where the only injury could be a freak clipboard accident?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Eisen seems to think Kurt is throwing well. We shall see!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Anyways, I see what you're saying. New York is a high pressure city. I have to wonder though how many realistic New Yorkers think the Giants will be a Super Bowl contender this year, with Gibbs back in Washington, with Parcells in Dallas with his man starting, and with Terrell Owens giving McNabb a target in Philly.
    It is still early to predict this division. I have been talking to alot of friends about the Eagles, I have fealt they will be the team the Rams would have to beat this year to make it the big show. I am starting to rethink that a little though. Mcnabb has not proven he could pass in the pocket yet. With each year his mobility slows down. We have seen in philly b4 what happens to these mobile QB's when they start to slow down.(Randall Cunningham)
    The Giants and the Cowboys are gonna provide some good solid defence that will hurt the Eagles this year. If Mcnabb gets contained I think he will fail. Carolina put him in the pocket last year and crushed another Philly super bowl run.Terell is great but will he choke like he has done so much of his big mouthed carreer? I think we will see the same old Eagles this year, they will play great defence but when a team could put some points up with them they will not keep up.

Giants fans will not put up with another bad season but they may not have a choice. This team is capable of winning the division but if Warner is not ready to play they will be in trouble. Even if Eli can play well, I dont think he could hold up in the playoffs vs veteran playoff teams. The problem with rookies is they are rookies. They have not played in high pressure games with stakes as high as the NFL.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -08-06-2004 at 01:48 PM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I have no problem having a QB sit and learn his rookie year. I guess it really depends on the make up of the QB. Marino, Elway, and Aikman didn't do to bad for themselves after that rookie year. Peyton started his rookie year and has done pretty good also. But then again, none of these QB's played in a place like New York where the media is worse than any defensive rush a QB will see. So maybe it is best for Manning to sit and learn.
    Sprtsmac :football:

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
    We have seen in philly b4 what happens to these mobile QB's when they start to slow down.(Randall Cunningham)
    They go on to having MVP like years with another team? (Vikings)

Just *chunk* it to Moss...
    This space for rent...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12