Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: Players have to give in for NFL to reach a deal according to Kurt Warnier ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Players have to give in for NFL to reach a deal according to Kurt Warnier ..

By Kurt Warner
    May 27
    USA Today

"Former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner is a deeply religious man who carried a Bible to the podium during his postgame interviews.

So when Warner says he has faith that there will be football in 2011, but that there needs to be real urgency from owners and players to reach a collective bargaining agreement compromise instead of trying to litigate the other side into a corner, both sides would do well to listen.

The NFL Network analyst speaks from the heart about the game he loves. Warner urges his former brethren to consider compromise because there's so much to lose the longer the lockout lingers. He notes that players, who average $1.7 million per year, risk missing game checks and time they can't make up on often-brief careers.

"I'm still optimistic that they're going to find a way to make sure there's football," Warner said. "The players have too much to lose. And as much as I hate to say it, at some point, the players have to give in. And, hopefully, they can gain some other things on their side.

"But ultimately, they have too much to lose."

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will hold a hearing June 3 on whether to overturn U.S. District Judge Susan Nelson's decision to lift the lockout April 25 after issuing a permanent stay on Nelson's decision May 16.

Eric Winston, the Houston Texans offensive tackle and alternate player representative, has said that before matters got this deeply into the courts, players were willing to split $9.3 billion in annual revenue "50-50" to strike a new CBA.

When the last CBA was struck in 2006, players received 59.6% of the revenue pie after owners first took a $1 billion slice off the top for cost benefits.

But Winston adds that owners now want players to take 40%, saying, "The owners essentially wanted a billion dollars back without any justification for it. And we could really never move off of that issue."

But the field seemingly tilted toward the owners with the ruling for a permanent stay until the June 3 hearing on the legal validity of the lockout.

"It's easy to say, 'We're not only fighting for next year. We're fighting for the next 10 years.' And I agree and appreciate that," Warner said. "But when push comes to shove, and you've got a few years left in your career or you've got one year left, or if the lockout continues (and) you have to retire, those things put a lot of pressure on players.

"Because owners will be owners 10 years from now. But players won't be players 10 years from now for the most part."

And that could be the dynamic that eventually breaks the deadlock.

"Ultimately, I think that helps shape this thing in the end so we get football because players have too much to lose in that one season," Warner said.

But he also wants owners to treat players like the football business partners they are by producing a more equitable offer than their 11th-hour proposal March 11, when the players decided to decertify as a union and pursue their antitrust litigation."

So when Warner says he has faith that there will be football in 2011, but that there needs to be real urgency from owners and players to reach a collective bargaining agreement compromise instead of trying to litigate the other side into a corner, both sides would do well to listen.

The NFL Network analyst speaks from the heart about the game he loves. Warner urges his former brethren to consider compromise because there's so much to lose the longer the lockout lingers. He notes that players, who average $1.7 million per year, risk missing game checks and time they can't make up on often-brief careers.

"I'm still optimistic that they're going to find a way to make sure there's football," Warner said. "The players have too much to lose. And as much as I hate to say it, at some point, the players have to give in. And, hopefully, they can gain some other things on their side.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Players have to give in for NFL to reach a deal according to Kurt Warnier ..

Warner wrote this article, quoting himself and speaking in the third person?
    Keenum likes this.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Players have to give in for NFL to reach a deal according to Kurt Warnier ..

I think he is right. It really looks like now if we are going to have NFL football in 2011 the players are going to have to give in, at least some. Unless something crazy happens with an upcoming ruling it looks like the owners will be gaining more and more leverage as the weeks go by.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Warner wrote this article, quoting himself and speaking in the third person?

5/27/2011 12:15:56 PM

NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner urges NFL players to consider compromise because there's so much to lose the longer the lockout lingers. He notes that players, who average $1.7 million per year, risk missing game checks and time they can't make up on often-brief careers.

"I'm still optimistic that they're going to find a way to make sure there's football," Warner told Jim Corbett of USA Today.

"The players have too much to lose. And as much as I hate to say it, at some point, the players have to give in. And, hopefully, they can gain some other things on their side.

"I don't think there's any question the players have to give back money," Warner said. "And we have to realize we've had it great for a number of years.

"We made a lot of money, and the salaries went crazy. As a player, you have to say, 'It's OK for us to pull back a little bit and make less.'

Easy for him to say now that he's retired .. He's probably right, but saying it now after he's retired doesn''t have the same impact as say if Peyton Manning or Drew Brees were to opine similarly at this point in time ..