throwback week

Thread: Playoffs: Day 1

moklerman Guest

Playoffs: Day 1

Just a couple thoughts on the playoffs after day one (minus Rams).

-Does Matt Hasslebeck throw an uncatchable ball? I've heard the term "catchable ball" but MH seems to have the opposite. Either that or there's something in the drinking water in Seattle. Don't worry about Matt though, I think we'll be seeing just as much of him when he and Holmgren take over in San Franscisco (my early prediction).

-The Marty Schottenheimer curse is alive and well in San Diego. I've never liked his style as a coach. From a fan's standpoint he's the worst kind of coach to have because he's just good enough to get a team into the playoffs but always chokes it in the big games (nice unsportsmanlike penalty, Marty). Kaeding probably should have made the field goal to win it but why did MS wait until 4th down to kick it? Conventional wisdom, especially in a sudden death situation, is to attempt the fg on third down in case of a muffed snap. Oh well, nice season San Diego.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Playoffs: Day 1

On Hasselbeck: I've got a gut suspicion he's somewhere else next season as well. I suspect he's getting tired of having receivers drop his passes on a regular basis. While I'm not sure if San Francisco is the destination - the ***** aren't going to be out of their cap-strapped hell in 2005 from what I hear, and won't be able to go after many big name free agents - I wouldn't be surprised to see him in other colors.

On the Chargers: I thought for sure fate was behind the Chargers after that Eric Barton hit to Drew Brees's head on fourth down that gave the Chargers the chance to tie it up. I was actually kind of rooting for the Chargers. They've had a very impressive season, and I would have liked to see them at least make it out of Round One. Now you have to wonder when the Brees/Rivers issue is going to be addressed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    On the Chargers: I thought for sure fate was behind the Chargers after that Eric Barton hit to Drew Brees's head on fourth down that gave the Chargers the chance to tie it up. I was actually kind of rooting for the Chargers. They've had a very impressive season, and I would have liked to see them at least make it out of Round One.

If the Rams don't go all the way...I'd like to see Curtis Martin holding a Lombardi Trophy.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

moklerman Guest

and won't be able to go after many big name free agents - I wouldn't be surprised to see him in other colors.
    I think that Holmgren will be the deciding factor. Wherever Holmgren goes (or stays) Hasslebeck will follow. I happen to think that Holmgren probably wants out of Seattle, especially with all the free agents they'll have to try and re-sign. San Fran has been impressed with Romeo so far but I think they would take Holmgren and his early ties to the team over an unproven commodity. A return to excellence type of thing. I just don't see Seattle being anywhere near the same team next year.
    On the Chargers: I thought for sure fate was behind the Chargers after that Eric Barton hit to Drew Brees's head on fourth down that gave the Chargers the chance to tie it up.
    I agree with you on that, but that's really why they lost in the long run. Fate was the only thing keeping in the game at certain points and you just can't depend on that in the playoffs. Mainly though, I'll always bet against Marty-ball come playoff time. Cleveland, Kansas City and now San Diego have all had the talent to get to the next level, and I suppose it's a credit to Marty to be able to rebuild those teams in the first place, but he just doesn't have "it" in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I think that Holmgren will be the deciding factor. Wherever Holmgren goes (or stays) Hasslebeck will follow. I happen to think that Holmgren probably wants out of Seattle, especially with all the free agents they'll have to try and re-sign. San Fran has been impressed with Romeo so far but I think they would take Holmgren and his early ties to the team over an unproven commodity. A return to excellence type of thing. I just don't see Seattle being anywhere near the same team next year.
    Very true, but I have to think that Carroll is on the top of their list right now. And if they do get Carroll, chances are he drafts his own QB in Leinart, although Matt needs to declare before next weekend.

moklerman Guest

Originally, that's what I thought was going to happen also but everything I've read since the Trojans won, has Carroll staying at SC. Apparently, he's asking for a LOT to go to SF. He wants total control, a huge contract and some guarentees that basically show that he's using San Fran's interest to bolster his position and contract at USC.

Leinert is a different story. He seems like a natural choice for SF picking #1 but I'm hoping that the shear force of my will, will keep him from going there. It's a relatively light qb class this year and I don't know if that would help or hurt him contract-wise. I happen to think that he'll declare for the draft but I could see him going back for another year.

Back to San Diego for a minute and speaking of qb's in the draft, I've heard that there's a good chance Phillip will be trade bait in the draft. I don't know how plausable it is but I've heard that Dallas might make a move on Rivers with their #1. I think Miami will get Leinert if he declares. Saban's fresh out of college and might want a franchise guy to build around. Plus a rookie might be easier to "sell" on a college coach's ideas. Overall, lot's of hot stove football this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Back to San Diego for a minute and speaking of qb's in the draft, I've heard that there's a good chance Phillip will be trade bait in the draft. I don't know how plausable it is but I've heard that Dallas might make a move on Rivers with their #1.
    Yeah, Mort reported that earlier today on ESPN. You have to wonder what that says about Drew Henson, if the Cowboys are thinking of dealing a first rounder for another QB.

moklerman Guest

Henson's crap and nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. The guy only played in 8 college games over two years ago and the Cowboys really got suckered in that deal.

DJRamFan Guest

If I were Hasselbeck I'd bolt for a team that has receivers that can catch.

I'm not knocking Marty in SD....yet. Consider this the beginning of a rebuilding so we'll see how next year happens.

The Cowboys are a mess. I went to college near Pittsburgh so I wouldn't mind seeing them take care of the AFC.

moklerman Guest

If I were Hasselbeck I'd bolt for a team that has receivers that can catch.
    I agree and I think San Fran would actually fit the bill. Brandon Lloyd, Cedric Wilson, Eric Johnson and Kevin Barlow out of the backfield give a qb some pretty good, up and coming, options. The o-line is obviously a huge drawback but if it can be made servicable, I think the skill positions have plenty of potential.
    I'm not knocking Marty in SD....yet.
    I'm not optimistic about him at all. San Diego was a Cinderalla story this year and on a huge roll. The score in the playoff game wasn't even indicitive of how the game really went. The Jets outplayed and beat SD. The score was close but so much of the Chargers success that day was due to penalties. If this was just a fluke type of thing I might agree with you but it's just the same old story for Marty. He has good teams that always underacheive in the playoffs.

Personally, I think Hasselbeck stays in Seattle, as does Holmgren. I don't think you can fire a coach after he wins his division, even in a weak conference. Hell, if Jim Haslett can get an extension in the NFL, I don't see how Holmgren can be fired.

And if Hasselbeck does hit the free agent market, I could see him going to Arizona to throw to Fitzgerald and Boldin - can you imagine the Cardinals then? I still don't think the ***** have the cap room, and I think they'd rather go after a franchise QB like Leinart or Rodgers in the draft.