throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5fingerRing Guest

Re: Plummer retires - WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    You're absolutely right. Those losses to perhaps the NFL's worst team exposed a lot of problems. Since then we've replaced the coaching staff and half the defensive starters. We brought in several former Pro Bowl defenders, signed one of the highest profile defensive free agents, and took the best pure corner in the draft...What have the ***** done? They've lost Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, and Ahmed Plummer this offseason and added Manny Lawson. I'd say that's a net loss.
    Peterson hasn't been the same since his achilles injury, Carter never quite fit Nolan's 3-4 scheme and Plummer is just pretty much injury prone.

You'll see how good your rookie corner is once the season starts. Unless you have a dominating front 4, rookie corners don't amount to anything.

The 'Niners are actually trying to get back into a comfortable salary cap position so signing high profile/high priced vets is pretty much out of the equation. The rookies that were brought in are just going to have to step up their game and produce.

Losing those 3(4 if you want to count Lloyd) is what I'd call addition by subtraction.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-19-2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: ClanRam Rules: Watch the profanity, including misspelled words to fool the board censor

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 5fingerRing
    The 'Niners are actually trying to get back into a comfortable salary cap position so signing high profile/high priced vets is pretty much out of the equation. The rookies that were brought in are just going to have to step up their game and produce.
    Are the rings on those fingers there to stop you from shoving them up your nose too far and into your brain?

The Whiners aren't trying to get back into a comfortable salary cap position, their current owner and President husband are cheap, make a buck at all costs, morons. You are the Arizona Cardinals by the Bay. You had some GREAT teams in the past, I'll give you that, but you must also admit that Eddie cheated to keep that roster by hiding compensation to players against salary cap rules (which he got off with something like only a half million dollar fine, a slap on the hand).

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree that Peterson isn't what he used to be. Carter may not have fit the scheme, but wasn't he still your best pass-rusher? Likewise, Plummer wasn't amazing, but were any of the other corners better? If I were a ***** fan, I would be concerned about whether the team is actually replacing their losses. Last I heard, the team was $11 million under the cap. Even if half that goes to signing rookies, the money is and was there for a pretty decent signing. For example, I believe Witherspoon is counting $3.5 million against the cap for us this year (assuming they prorate the $9 million dollar bonus over the length of the 6 year contract, it would be $1.5 million/year + $2 million in base salary for 2006). I just don't think the owner is willing to spend.

Hill may take some time to adjust to the NFL, but I'd still take him over Shantae Spencer or Derrick Johnson. As far as needing a pass rush for our corners to succeed, I'd have to agree with you. I think La'roi Glover will help out there, but we will need more out of Hargrove.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -06-19-2006 at 08:32 PM.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It amazes me how everyone dogs a team after only 2 bad seasons. But I guess you come to expect it after dominating the '80's and most of the '90's w/5 SB rings to show for it.
    Typical ***** fan banter. It would be refreashing to find one ***** fan who isn't still living in the 80's.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Brain Daddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rams!
    Bruce,Bulger and Holt are licking their chops at the news. That 9ers backfield just made itself very vulnerable. ( Evil laughter )
    He hasn't played since week 3. Not like he'd be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr
    ...everyone was already licking their chops at having them on the schedule.
    Really now. I would think some teams would have a bitter taste in their mouth after last year.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    Other than losing a wild card playoff game for the 2002 season, what have the **** done lately?
    Correction, they won that wild card game. And what have the Rams accomplished since then? They've won a wild card game. Big whoop.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    our team is ignored, and no one takes us seriously. We have one of the top 3 QB's, one of the best WR corps, above average RBs
    hahahahaha top 3 QB? Only if you mean top 3 on the Rams roster, or top 3 in the NFCW. Otherwise, no. He's top ten, but not top 5, and definitely not top 3.

As for your WRs, they've (deservedly) been regarded as one of the best WR tandems in the league, Jackson is regarded as an up and coming star, and Faulk is a lock for the HOF. The Rams have generally been regarded as an offensive powerhouse and one of the better teams in the NFC. If that's not respect, I don't what is.

What have the ***** done? They've lost Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, and Ahmed Plummer this offseason and added Manny Lawson. I'd say that's a net loss.
    In addition to Lawson, they added Larry Allen, Vernon Davis, and Antonio Bryant. So no, net gain.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    The Whiners aren't trying to get back into a comfortable salary cap position, their current owner and President husband are cheap, make a buck at all costs, morons.
    Nope it was the salary cap. York keeps his hands out of football operations. The team can thank Donahue for that. And speaking of Donahue, York gave him a huge contract, only to eat said contract when he fired Donahue three months later. I can give other examples that show York isn't the cheapwad he's made out to be if you're interested, but I doubt you really care.

I agree that Peterson isn't what he used to be. Carter may not have fit the scheme, but wasn't he still your best pass-rusher? Likewise, Plummer wasn't amazing, but were any of the other corners better?
    Carter wasn't the best pass rusher, that would be Bryant Young. Carter hasn't been the same since he hurt his back. The next best pass rusher was Brandon Moore. Both guys will be back. By the end of the season, Spencer was as good as Plummer. The other guys, I'm not so sure about, but Plummer was never on the field anyway (9 games in 2 years), so it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, I'm one fan who will be somewhat careful with the smack talk. The dad burn whiners beat us twice last year and that still chaps my arse.
    That's probably a good policy. I'll be honest, if you had asked me before the start of last season, I wouldn't have expected my Niners to beat the rams once, let alone sweep them. You never know what can happen. I won't make any predictions about the outcomes, but it's probably a good bet that both games this year will be hard-fought.

Nice meeting you guys. Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I saw some things I couldn't leave alone. Hope to see you around

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Those Niner games last year were terrible, watching our defense whiff on tackles like they did was just disgraceful. And the pass blocking in the first game was terrible.

Anyway, i was hoping this was Jake Plummer, it would have been good for the team to start the season against a rookie QB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12