San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Police officer, who delayed Texans' Moats as relative died, placed on leave

DALLAS -- A police officer was placed on administrative leave Thursday after pulling over an NFL player who was rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drawing his gun, threatening the player with jail and holding him in the hospital parking lot as the woman died.
    Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle apologized to the family of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats over the March 18 incident and announced that Officer Robert Powell would be on paid leave pending an internal investigation.
    When we at the command staff reviewed the tape, we were embarrassed, disappointed," Kunkle said. "It's hard to find the right word and still be professional in my role as the police chief. But the behavior was not appropriate."
    Police officials said Powell told his commanders he believed he was doing his job and that he drew his gun but didn't point it. Kunkle said Powell wasn't necessarily acting improperly when he pulled out his weapon, but that once he realized what was happening, he should have put the gun back, apologized and offered to help the family in any way.
    "His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, the discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit," Kunkle said.
    Moats' wife, who was in the car along with other relatives, said Powell pointed his weapon at her.
    "He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News.
    The Moats family didn't immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Powell didn't respond to requests for comment through the Dallas police union.
    Powell, a three-year member of the Dallas police force, stopped Moats outside Baylor Regional Medical Center after Moats rolled his sport-utility vehicle through a red light. Video from a dashboard camera inside the officer's vehicle, obtained by Dallas-Fort Worth station WFAA-TV, revealed an intense exchange in which Powell threatened to jail Moats.
    Powell ordered Tamishia Moats to get back in the SUV, but after pausing for a few seconds, she and another woman rushed into the hospital. Tamishia Moats was by the side of her mother, 45-year-old Jonetta Collinsworth, when she died a short time later from breast cancer.
    "Get in there," said Powell, yelling at 27-year-old Tamishia Moats, as she exited the vehicle. "Let me see your hands!"
    "Excuse me, my mom is dying," Tamishia Moats said. "Do you understand?"
    Ryan Moats explained that he waited until there was no traffic before proceeding through the red light. When Powell asked for proof of insurance, Moats grew more agitated and told the officer to go find it.
    "My mother-in-law is dying! Right now! You're wasting my time!" Moats yelled. "I don't understand why you can't understand that."
    As he argued with Moats, the officer grew irritated. "Shut your mouth," said Powell, 25. "You can either settle down and cooperate or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."
    By the time Moats, 26, received a ticket and a lecture from Powell, about 13 minutes had passed. When he and Collinsworth's father entered the hospital, they learned Collinsworth was dead.
    Kunkle said the video showed that Moats and his wife "exercised extraordinary patience, restraint in dealing with the behavior of our officer."
    "At no time did Mr. Moats identify himself as an NFL football player or expect any kind of special consideration," Kunkle said. "He handled himself very, very well."
    The Moats family, who are black, said they can't help but think that race might have played a part in the white officer's behavior toward them.
    "I think he should lose his job," Ryan Moats said.
    When the exchange was at its most contentious, Powell said he could tow Moats' SUV if he didn't have insurance and could arrest him for fleeing because he didn't immediately stop when the officer turned on his sirens. The pursuit lasted a little more than a minute.
    "I can screw you over," Powell said. "I'd rather not do that. Your attitude will dictate everything that happens."
    The exchange soon ended, and Powell returned to his cruiser to write a ticket. A few minutes later, another officer approached Powell to tell him a nurse said the mother-in-law was dying right then and Moats needed to get into the hospital.
    "All right. I'm almost done," Powell said in response.
    The ticket issued to Moats was dismissed, Dallas Police spokesman Lt. Andy Harvey said.
    Moats, a third-round draft choice of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2005 out of Louisiana Tech, was cut by the team in August and later signed with the Texans. In three seasons as a backup in the NFL, he has rushed for 441 yards and scored four touchdowns.
    Moats was a standout at Bishop Lynch High School, a private school in Dallas, rushing for more than 2,600 yards and 33 touchdowns as a senior.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Police officer, who delayed Texans' Moats as relative died, placed on leave

When i read this, it made me sad, and i think race did play a part of it

I like how Ryan Moats did not try to say he was a NFL player to get a special treatment.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i dont know about it being a race issue...some cops are good cops but some are also power tripping buffoons with a " we the law..do what we say and dont give any back chat " attitudes..theres no reasoning with some of them..albeit a minority as im not anti-police atall,its a pretty thankless task and they do often put their lives on the line to protect us.

but i do remember being at a ball game a few years back and my buddy had disappeared after he went to get us some dogs...he was gone for over an hour and when he came back minus the dogs he told us what had happened...

he had had a couple of beers but was in no way disorderly..he`s just not that type..always a gentleman..anyway he had said to one cop whilst passing...

"theres daylight robbery goin` on down there....hot dogs $3!"

some cop had no sense of humour and had actually arrested him for something like wasting police time by informing them of a crime that didnt exist or something like that...in the end they just put him in the back of the van for an hour and let him out once the game was half over!

they can act senseless sometimes but again...they do more good than harm.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I hate to hear things like this.
    It wasn't wrong that he was stopped, that's what policemen are suppose to do, BUT as soon as the policeman realized his mother-in-law was in trouble, he should have let him go right then and there!
    Rather than 13 minutes, the whole thing should have just taken a few seconds. Those several extra minutes really could have made a difference.
    That police officers needs to apologize for the family, not be a wuss and have somebody else do it for him.
    It's the a-holes like this that give some people a bad image of police officers, when in reality, most of them are great people.

This part really irriated me:
    When the exchange was at its most contentious, Powell said he could tow Moats' SUV if he didn't have insurance and could arrest him for fleeing because he didn't immediately stop when the officer turned on his sirens. The pursuit lasted a little more than a minute.
    "I can screw you over," Powell said. "I'd rather not do that. Your attitude will dictate everything that happens."
    The exchange soon ended, and Powell returned to his cruiser to write a ticket. A few minutes later, another officer approached Powell to tell him a nurse said the mother-in-law was dying right then and Moats needed to get into the hospital.
    "All right. I'm almost done," Powell said in response.

Moats, you handled this with more class and patience that 99% of the world's population. May your mother-in-law rest in peace.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Cops definitely have a tough, often thankless job, but I just don't know what this moron was thinking. I watched the tape and even after being told there was a dying family member situation AND having a nurse from the hospital actually came outside and substantiate it, he still was playing power trips and worried about attitude and car insurance. Unbelievable.

To his credit, Moats didn't freak out or get physical, he simply tried to plead his case.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

That power hungry cop makes me sick. He better lose his job. He knows this guy's Mom is dying...a security guard, 2 cops, and 2 different nurses tell that d-bag to let the man go since she is dying that very moment and he still doesn't care and does everything he can to slow down the process. Sickening.

The dash cam videos are here:

YouTube - Shutdown Corner: Ryan Moats Police Video, Part One

YouTube - Shutdown Corner: Ryan Moats Police Video Part 2

AbramAssassin is offline Registered User

that cop needs to get fired, what a complete tool, moats should have hit him like he was a RB coming up the middle haha. on a serious note, that cop thinks he's better than everyone else because he has a little "power" and should have used common sense but he seemed to me that as soon as he got out of the car and approached moats' car he had an attitude problem and was looking for an argument.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Looks like the cop just quit...probably one of those quit or we'll fire you deals. Here's to hoping this bum can't get another job as a police officer and has to work security at Walmart busting shoplifters.

DALLAS (AP) -- A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot while the player's mother-in-law was dying inside has resigned.

An attorney for Officer Robert Powell said Powell resigned Wednesday over the March 18 incident in which he drew his gun and threatened Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

Powell stopped Moats' SUV in the Plano parking lot after the vehicle rolled through a red light. Moats' wife, Tamishia, and other relatives were also in the car.

Moats' mother-in-law died while Powell was ticketing and lecturing him. Powell later issued an apology, which Moats accepted.

The resignation was first reported by Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

FIRE THE COP....

moats Team mates ought to picket the police station--bet that woudl draw some unwelcome media attention.

Sadly, if this can be turned into a possitive, it might bring changes