Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Now, as many of you are aware, I'm a man who has pleaded for patience on more than one occasion in my brief and turbulent times on these boards. I normally do so on behalf of others of course, which I like to think absolves me of the blame attached to the occasionally intemperate comments that I have been known to leave lying carelessly around.

    Nevertheless, I'm going to do so again.

    I know that there are many faults that afflict the male gender, and in particular the football fan variety, but there is one that strikes me as almost obligatory at this time of year and it's the premature exclamation mark. It appears when the fan in question feels the need to make daring and unsubstantiated predictions based upon the glaring evidence of one game.

    __________ will make the pro Bowl!

    ***edited by Wraith***

    __________ is lighting it up and should still be our QB!

    __________ is useless!

    ___________ is perfect!

    Now before anyone gets upset, I've done it myself before and I'll probably do it again. There's a certain amount of fun to be had with it and there are media types who've made careers out of it. We should however, always possess that nugget of doubt, that kernel of realism that lodges the subconscious protest. Think about it as the Tommy Tippee bib that catches the egg that misses our faces, or the safety net of a high wire artist. It's the one thing above all that prevents a bad season becoming a truly miserable one.

    I mean, if you win and you said all along that you would win, then you do garner the plaudits and satisfaction that go with it, but this pales into insignificance when you win when you aren't meant to. That's where the small beer disappears and the Champagne comes out. If sadly, you bomb where you were expecting to blast, then misery is truly company.

    Expectation is a weighty burden.

    So watch those premature exclamation marks and save yourself the agony.

    Last edited by RamWraith; -09-11-2006 at 07:12 AM.


  2. #2
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,126
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    I used your forms to make my own predictions:

    Some football guys will make the pro Bowl!

    ***edited by Wraith***

    Joe Namath is lighting it up and should still be our QB!

    Yo mama is useless!

    I is perfect!

    Last edited by RamWraith; -09-11-2006 at 07:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Hmmmmmmm.....................

    Not quite sure what to make of all that.

    Not sure my mother would either.

  4. #4
    talkstoangels61's Avatar
    talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    52
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Now, as many of you are aware, I'm a man who has pleaded for patience on more than one occasion in my brief and turbulent times on these boards. I normally do so on behalf of others of course, which I like to think absolves me of the blame attached to the occasionally intemperate comments that I have been known to leave lying carelessly around.

    Nevertheless, I'm going to do so again.

    I know that there are many faults that afflict the male gender, and in particular the football fan variety, but there is one that strikes me as almost obligatory at this time of year and it's the premature exclamation mark. It appears when the fan in question feels the need to make daring and unsubstantiated predictions based upon the glaring evidence of one game.

    __________ will make the pro Bowl!

    ***edited by Wraith***

    __________ is lighting it up and should still be our QB!

    __________ is useless!

    ___________ is perfect!

    Now before anyone gets upset, I've done it myself before and I'll probably do it again. There's a certain amount of fun to be had with it and there are media types who've made careers out of it. We should however, always possess that nugget of doubt, that kernel of realism that lodges the subconscious protest. Think about it as the Tommy Tippee bib that catches the egg that misses our faces, or the safety net of a high wire artist. It's the one thing above all that prevents a bad season becoming a truly miserable one.

    I mean, if you win and you said all along that you would win, then you do garner the plaudits and satisfaction that go with it, but this pales into insignificance when you win when you aren't meant to. That's where the small beer disappears and the Champagne comes out. If sadly, you bomb where you were expecting to blast, then misery is truly company.

    Expectation is a weighty burden.

    So watch those premature exclamation marks and save yourself the agony.

    Pros will make the pro bowl
    Smoker is lighting it up and should still be our qb
    This thread is useless
    a win is perfect

  5. #5
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61 View Post
    This thread is useless
    That's totally uncalled for. If it's useless, why bother posting in it! :x
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  6. #6
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,126
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    That's totally uncalled for. If it's useless, why bother posting in it! :x

    I'm sure he was just messing around like I did in my post. I love Fat Pang's posts, but I was just in too goofy of a mood to post something serious.

  7. #7
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. If I took it the wrong way, my mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  8. #8
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Thanks rb,

    As for the man who claims to talk in tongues.....................

    Maybe it would be of more use to you if I said it a little more simply.

    Statements after week one are useless. ITS ONE GAME.

    If I was Shannon Sharpe for example, I would have said it like this:

    By Shannon Sharpe
    Special to NFL.com


    (Sept. 11, 2006) -- I always take Week 1 in the NFL with a grain of salt. People like to get very excited or very down about their team, but the reality is that it really takes a good four games to get an idea of how your team's season is going to be. Do you think that Tom Brady and the Patriots are worried about how they played against Buffalo in a tight win? Trust me, they aren't. A win is a win and good teams find a way to win. They don't get too high with a win or too low with a loss. The good teams find a way to get it done.




    Oh incidentally Wraith, d**k in this context doesn't mean what it would in a purely North American one. I should have taken that in account when writing it however.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -09-11-2006 at 11:51 PM.

  9. #9
    talkstoangels61's Avatar
    talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    52
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    RB as Ramsfan said i was just messin around! Fat Phang i believe talking in tongues is uncalled for dont you think? I believe we are entitled to voice our opinions on the board here without having someone trying to ridicule another mans opinion. As far as talking to angels well, maybe you should try it. I was only trying to get those of us which do believe that KW is still a good QB to check out the game on direct tv to watch for themselves, and if they werent able to. I was trying to kind of give the people a little smile knowing that KW was playing well today period!!!!!!! We cant even post something around here without getting neutered! His play Sunday kinda reminded me of the old days where KW locked in on our targets and was throwing strikes most of the day. I am a football fan regardless on who's playing! I give credit when credit is due. Sorry to offended anyone by my post

  10. #10
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61 View Post
    RB as Ramsfan said i was just messin around!
    Fair enough, like I said a couple of posts ago my mistake. Sometimes it's hard to decipher text on a screen and what was really intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  11. #11
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Ah, no worries tta61.

    After reviewing that post I can see why you would feel I was out of order. I frequently am. I should learn not to post before the first cup of coffee.

    My apologies Sir.

    I have a history of getting myself in trouble when I touch on religion.

    I have no problem with KW, he can obviously still play it's just that if he returns to earth with a bump next week, they'll be plenty of people queuing up to say 'I told you so' .

    I'm as excited as anyone right now, I just think that if I temper that excitement a little it's going to be better for my anxiety issues down the road.

    Peace!

  12. #12
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    After reviewing that post I can see why you would feel I was out of order. I frequently am. I should learn not to post before the first cup of coffee.
    I for one enjoy your posts, and don't feel that you are frequently out of order. Once in a while we are all out of order.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  13. #13
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Thanks bud,

    I did go after him a little bit though..............



    Incidentally, did you see the Mooncakes performance in week one?


  14. #14
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Incidentally, did you see the Mooncakes performance in week one?
    I did, it was impressive. Good thing it's only week one.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  15. #15
    talkstoangels61's Avatar
    talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    52
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Premature exclamation!!!!!!

    Fat Pang and Ramsbruce thanks for being understanding and for the apologies. No harm I too have went after others on here and have tried to change my behavior! Thanks guys once again!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •