AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Preseason All-Rookie Team

Each year, several NFL rookies make an immediate impact. Often, they're not the players expected to get off to strong starts. Likewise, they're not necessarily the players who will end up having the most productive careers among their fellow draftees.

With due consideration to NFL readiness, opportunity for immediate playing time, and overall skill levels, I give you my Preseason 2009 All-Rookie Team.

(Position/Player/Team/Draft Round/Selection Number)

QB: Matthew Stafford, Detroit (1/1)
    In the long run, I don’t necessarily expect Stafford to be a top NFL starting QB. I see a lot of Jeff George in him. Still, I believe he’ll start as a rookie (if not on opening day then shortly thereafter) and will have plenty of catch-up duty to rack up big passing yards. Mark Sanchez, on the other hand, will have to earn the right to lead a Jets team that was in the playoff hunt last year. He'll have to be much more cautious.

RB: Donald Brown, Indianapolis (1/27)
    With Joseph Addai’s health a question mark, I think Brown will quickly become the Colt’s workhorse (pun intended). Add the fact that Peyton Manning will always keep opposing defenses honest, and you have a formula for a great rookie campaign.

FB: Quinn Johnson, Green Bay (5/145)
    An “Old School” blocking fullback who will quickly become a favorite in blue collar Green Bay.

WR: Hakim Nicks, N.Y. Giants (1/29)
    Nicks will have a lot of pressure given the departure of Plaxico Burress. I think he can handle it, and will make an immediate impact.

WR: Brian Robiskie, Cleveland (2/36)
    Robiskie wasn’t the best WR in the draft, but he may have been the most polished. With Braylon Edwards drawing double teams, he’ll have plenty of opportunities to shine.

TE: Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit (1/20)
    Pettigrew will be Stafford’s second favorite target after Calvin Johnson. I expect he’ll be among the first in the draft class to get Pro Bowl consideration.

OT: Jason Smith, St. Louis (1/2)
    Whether he plays on the right or left side, Smith will play from Day 1. Steven Jackson and Marc Bulger will benefit greatly from his presence.

OT: Michael Oher, Baltimore (1/23)
    Oher won’t make anyone forget Jonathan Ogden, but he’ll be productive early.

OG: Max Unger, OG, Seattle (2/49)
    Unger is one of the most versatile linemen in the draft. He’ll bring stability that was lost when Steven Hutchinson departed.

OG: Herman Johnson, Arizona (5/167)
    A surprise choice, but I think Johnson will surprise. He can bring great size and toughness to the Cardinals O line, and keep DTs out of Kurt Warner’s face.

C: Antoine Caldwell, Houston (3/77)
    Great situation for early success on a team that is on the rise. Caldwell is a camera ready prospect.

DE: Brian Orakpo, Washington (1/13)
    With $100 million man Albert Haynesworth eating up blockers inside, Orakpo should find the QB early and often.

DE: Robert Ayers, Denver (1/18)
    Ayers, who will play a hybrid DE/OLB position in Denver’s new defense, will be a dynamic highlight film kind of player as a rookie.

DT: B.J. Raji, Green Bay (1/8)
    Perfect fit for Packers new 3-4. Raji will be the key to the Packers success on defense.

DT: Roy Miller, Tampa Bay (3/81)
    Miller’s skill set would not translate to every defense, but his quickness will be ideal in Bucs’ D. He can be somewhat of a poor man’s Warren Sapp.

OLB: Aaron Curry, Seattle (1/4)
    Best defensive prospect won’t disappoint. Look for him on Sportscenter’s Top 10 plays often.

OLB: Clint Sintim, N.Y. Giants (2/45)
    A bit of a sleeper on draft day, Sintim brings needed youth to he Giants’ LB corps.

ILB: James Laurinaitis, St. Louis (2/35)
    If I were to place a bet as to which rookie would lead the NFL in tackles, Laurinaitis would be my choice.

ILB: Jasper Brinkley, Minnesota (5/150)
    If the Vikings DTs can stay out of trouble and on the field, Brinkley will benefit, particularly with the departure of two veteran LBs (D.Thomas, N.Harris).

CB: Malcolm Jenkins, New Orleans (1/14)
    Too much analysis of his 40 times lead to question marks before the draft. Forget all that. This guy can play.

CB: Sean Smith, Miami (2/61)
    Will surpass fellow Phins rookie Vontae Davis and make an immediate impact.

S: Patrick Chung, New England (2/34)
    With Rodney Harrison’s departure, Chung will fill an immediate void.

S: William Moore, Atlanta (2/55)
    Underrated prospect will be a great addition to the Falcons’ defense.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Preseason All-Rookie Team

CB: Malcolm Jenkins, New Orleans (1/14)
    Too much analysis of his 40 times lead to question marks before the draft. Forget all that. This guy can play.

CB: Sean Smith, Miami (2/61)
    Will surpass fellow Phins rookie Vontae Davis and make an immediate impact.
    Hmm, a pair of Cover-2 corners........interesting.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod