Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RuffRams

Thread: Pryor to the Raiders

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Pryor to the Raiders

The Associated Press.

Terrelle Pryor's troubled college football odyssey is finally over. His NFL journey has just begun.

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports that the Oakland Raiders selected Pryor in Monday's NFL supplemental draft, using a third-round pick to acquire the former Ohio State quarterback.

The Raiders confirmed the Pryor selection via their Twitter page. The team gave up the 18th pick in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft with the selection.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported Pryor was the only player taken in the draft.

The 22-year-old Pryor learned his fate while surrounded by family and friends at a draft party in Latrobe, Pa. On the phone with Raiders coach Hue Jackson, Pryor said "I'll be there, and I'll be ready ... I can't wait."

The Oakland Raiders hope Terrelle Pryor will add punch to their offense after selecting him in the third round of the supplemental draft. (Matthew Emmons/US Presswire)
    Pryor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said he's optimistic a deal will get done Monday night and that Pryor will be on a plane to Oakland this afternoon.

Rosenhaus said at Pryor's pro day Saturday that a contract would get done the same day he's drafted.

The NFL granted Pryor eligibility into the draft on Thursday with the caveat that he wouldn't be allowed to practice or play for the team that selected him until Week 6. Rosenhaus said the league has not clarified whether or not Pryor's suspension will be unpaid.

Pryor said Saturday he will not appeal the five-game suspension imposed by the NFL, as his attorney hinted at on Friday. Pryor would have faced a five-game suspension had he stayed at Ohio State.

More than half of the NFL's teams sent representatives to watch Pryor work out Saturday in Jeannette, Pa. NFL Network's Albert Breer reported the teams in attendance included the *****, Bengals, Bills, Browns, Buccaneers, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles, Lions, Patriots, Raiders, Redskins, Saints and Steelers.

Pryor measured at just under 6-foot-5 and just over 232 pounds. Breer reported one scout clocked Pryor’s first 40-yard dash -- on FieldTurf -- at 4.38 seconds, with his second slightly slower in the 4.4-second range. The Associated Press reported Pryor's first 40-yard time was as fast as 4.36 seconds.

Pryor told reporters after the workout that he will play any position he's asked.

"I would like the opportunity to play quarterback," Pryor said, "but I'll do anything that a team needs me to do to win."

Breer reported that while Pryor won’t be able to practice or play during his five-game suspension, he will be able to do field work with coaches, according to multiple sources. Rosenhaus told reporters Saturday that Pryor can participate in preseason games and training camp practices. The agent also said the quarterback will be allowed to attend team meetings and work out at team facilities during his suspension.

The supplemental draft, which allows qualified underclassmen who didn't request early entry into the regular draft to have a chance at entering the NFL, was supposed to be held on Aug. 17. Pryor's name wasn't on the NFL's initial list of players. But it was postponed a few days, and Pryor's name showed up Thursday.

If he hadn't been ruled eligible, Pryor would have had to wait until next April for the 2012 NFL Draft.

Regarded as the nation's top quarterback recruit coming out of high school, Pryor led Ohio State to an 8-1 record as a starter and was the Big Ten Conference's freshman of the year. He took the Buckeyes to the Big Ten title the following season and a victory in the Rose Bowl. He was named the game's MVP after Ohio State beat Oregon 26-17.

Pryor had his best season statistically as a junior, throwing for 2,772 yards and 27 touchdowns with 11 interceptions. He also ran for 754 yards and four scores while helping the Buckeyes win the Sugar Bowl.

Shortly before the game, it was revealed that Pryor and other players traded Buckeyes memorabilia for cash and discounted tattoos. In the following months, it became clear that coach Jim Tressel knew about the improper benefits in the spring of 2010 but didn't inform his bosses, as was required under his contract and NCAA rules. Tressel was forced out of his job May 30, and Pryor left Ohio State soon after.

Now, Pryor will have a chance to start his NFL career -- even if it doesn't happen until Week 6.

Well, how could he not go to the Raiders for a 3rd Rounder, it really was a no brainer right?

Stay tuned for Al Davis' announcement that this is his bona fide future star.

Also though, if he can catch the ball, his measurements and speed would make him an ideal WR, on paper anyways
    Last edited by Ram Mar Ram; -08-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: Pryor to the Raiders

LOL, two words everyone is thinking (including me) of course: Not Surprised

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

They actually got a low risk, high reward out of getting him. He has the physical attributes as well as experience for running a pro style offense but character issues are a potential risk. I actually think he's a better prospect than Dalton, Kaepernick, and Tebow in draft perspective.

I'm not sure giving up your 3rd round pick next year for Pryor is low risk. Especially when I think the raiders now don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I'm not sure giving up your 3rd round pick next year for Pryor is low risk. Especially when I think the raiders now don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year.
    They have a 3rd and 4th round compensation, if Pryor were to go to the draft, he would've been 3rd round value. Goodness some people treat the supplemental draft like an adopted ginger child...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    They have a 3rd and 4th round compensation, if Pryor were to go to the draft, he would've been 3rd round value. Goodness some people treat the supplemental draft like an adopted ginger child...
    Are you sure about those compensation picks? Those usually aren't assigned until just a few weeks prior to the draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I guess I really don't understand the supplemental draft at all. I still don't understand the compensation and how it works. But anyways I still don't think he is worth a 3rd round pick anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Are you sure about those compensation picks? Those usually aren't assigned until just a few weeks prior to the draft.
    Well I'm not entirely sure, it's pure speculation atm but I'd assume it's those after Zach Miller and Robert Gallery went to the Shesquawks.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Not really familiar with his case but seems like some pretty stiff punishment by both the NCAA & now the NFL if all he was doing was selling jerseys or trading gear for tats. No violence? No drugs/DUI ? How is this different than Quinn ?

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Not really familiar with his case but seems like some pretty stiff punishment by both the NCAA & now the NFL if all he was doing was selling jerseys or trading gear for tats. No violence? No drugs/DUI ? How is this different than Quinn ?
    I'm not advocating one way or the other, but one difference lies in that Quinn served his NCAA suspension, while Pryor went to the NFL to avoid his NCAA 5-game suspension.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but one difference lies in that Quinn served his NCAA suspension, while Pryor went to the NFL to avoid his NCAA 5-game suspension.
    He's still going to be suspended actually but he's trying to appeal it in court.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    He's still going to be suspended actually but he's trying to appeal it in court.
    He must have changed his mind. The last I heard from his lawyer was that he would NOT appeal.

And the fact that he is serving his suspension now is kind of the point........does Goodell want to send the message that the NFL will not be an escape route for soon-to-be-suspended college athletes? Ultimately, that's exactly what it is, but not w/o serving the suspension.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Nor am I condoning rule-breaking, no matter how hypocritical the rule may seem in the context of big money college football but Pryor's offense seems pretty petty compared to the recruitment bribery, grade fixing, and other shenanigans that benefit the schools more than the players which we all know goes on every day.

I also find myself a little disgusted by the NFL's highly moveable line in the sand when it comes to financial ethics. In a couple of months, Pryor could sell his toenail clippings to kids & they wouldn't bat an eye.....they might want points on the deal but it wouldn't keep them up nights. And how many millions of dollars did this kid lose by being draft blackballed? The NFL gets their cake & eats it ,too; they look symbolically tough on ethics - as if anyone could put ethics and NFL in the same sentence & keep a straight face- and get an exciting talent who will add to the value of their product - at a bargain basement price.

This kind of collusion between two supposedly discrete organizations just serves to highlight what a sham it is to call college football an amateur athletic endeavor, pretend outrage, & dish out punishment that means nothing except more money in the ruling bodies' coffers in the end,imo.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

How typical of the Raiders.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How typical of the Raiders.
    Al Davis just can't help himself, despite the fact that the Faiders have a dismal track record taking chances on "gimmick" players, which is exactly what Pryor will be.