Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

QB Cassel may seek free agent deal similar to Aaron Rodgers' $65 million extension

From Adam Schefter:

When quarterback Matt Cassel hits the free-agent market this winter, it is not hard to guess what his asking price will be.

It will be similar to the six-year, $65 million contract that Green Bay recently awarded its quarterback, Aaron Rodgers.

For starters, Cassel and Rodgers have the same agent, David Dunn. They also have started almost the exact number of games after taking over their jobs from legendary quarterbacks this season. And once they did, the two quarterbacks have posted similar numbers, as the chart below shows.

Cassel might not be as productive as Rodgers so far, but he is not far from. So if Rodgers got an average of close to $11 million per year, Cassel is expected to be anywhere in the $6-to-$10 million per year range, depending on how he finishes the season.
    NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Cassel looking for Rodgers-type deal?

Unbelievable, IMO, if a team actually pays him that.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: QB Cassel may seek free agent deal similar to Aaron Rodgers' $65 million extensio

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    From Adam Schefter:

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Cassel looking for Rodgers-type deal?

Unbelievable, IMO, if a team actually pays him that.
    I agree Nick, it's crazy,this guy has played a half of a season and he is going to ask and maybe get that kind of money,this is why teams get in a bind with the cap giving unproven talent stupid money.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: QB Cassel may seek free agent deal similar to Aaron Rodgers' $65 million extensio

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I agree Nick, it's crazy,this guy has played a half of a season and he is going to ask and maybe get that kind of money,this is why teams get in a bind with the cap giving unproven talent stupid money.

Dare I say the Rams front office be that stupid.

He isnt that good and there is no other team in the NFL with Randy Moss and Welker and an o-line that does give him great protection for the most part. Also there is no team in the NFL with as many tapes of other teams play signals.
    Just Fix It

shower beers is offline Registered User

Free Agency is pretty crazy like that. It's even more plausible after his back to back 400 yard games. Not that I agree with paying him that, but hey, look at what's happening in the NFL right now, you never know.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Note to Patriots or any other team:

Don't be a dumb ass like the Rams were and make a commitment based on a couple of years of productivity that could be more a result of the talent around him that created the numbers as opposed to hid individual talent raising the level of play of those around him and creating the numbers. Think before you pay.
    Last edited by bigredman; -11-26-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mooselini is offline Registered User

...someone is getting cut...

Keenum is offline Registered User

I keep hearing the Pats may put the franchise tag on him. It makes some sense, I guess, because it would:
    1.) Possibly give you the best insurance policy at QB
    2.) Keep him away from other teams. If Favre retires the Jets could go after him. The Bills look like they need a QB now.
    3.) Just in case Brady is not able to go next year, or if they don't think he'll be able to start the season, Cassell would already know all he needs to.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I keep hearing the Pats may put the franchise tag on him. It makes some sense, I guess, because it would:
    1.) Possibly give you the best insurance policy at QB
    2.) Keep him away from other teams. If Favre retires the Jets could go after him. The Bills look like they need a QB now.
    3.) Just in case Brady is not able to go next year, or if they don't think he'll be able to start the season, Cassell would already know all he needs to.

Makes sense. It also sounds like a move the Patriots would make, keeping a player on their roster so other teams cant sign him.

Matt Light should be suspended!!!

swatter555 is offline Registered User

If you hit Kassel with the franchise tag, he will make the average of the top three players at his position. You don't want a 10+ million dollar bench warmer, unless his name is Bulger.

richtree is offline Registered User

Cassel isn't that good, bottom line. I think I rather have Kolb than Cassel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Cassel isn't that good, bottom line. I think I rather have Kolb than Cassel
    You're not serious are you? Cassel has done nothing but great this year. He had 27 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. You would rather take the bench warmer Kolb who has proved absolutely nothing?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Why is this even being discussed this topic is from 08...........

Trevor is offline Registered User

Lol, I was like Whaa?? Then I looked at the dates, and then I was like Oh..

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Poor horsey.