Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Questions re: Sexual Orientation at Combine

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Questions re: Sexual Orientation at Combine

On my way in this morning, there was a discussion on ESPN radio about reports that several prospects were asked questions relating to their sexual orientation (i.e. "do you like girls) at their Combine interviews. The host (who was filling in for Colin Cowherd), made the statement "of course, those types of questions are illegal."

Actually, that's not necessarily correct.

Currently, there is no federal law that prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. There are states, counties and municipalities that have passes statuts and ordinances addressing this issue, but in the majority of jurisdictions in which no such law exists, an employer could reject an applicant on the basis of sexual orientation without liability.

That stated, the NFL, as a private organization, is free to enact a rule that prohibits this type of discrimination, and subject teams that make improper inquiries to fines or other penalties. I am not aware if the NFL has already done so.

People often debate whether a gay player could "fit in" with an NFL team given the nature of the game and its players. Of course, there was a time that people made similar arguments to justify keeping African-Americans out of the league.

This post is not an invitation to discuss political or religious views regarding homosexuality. Rather, given my particular profession, I simply wished to set the record straight regarding the legality of the questions that were allegedly asked at the Combine.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Questions re: Sexual Orientation at Combine

I certainly appreciate the clarity. I, myself, thought that he (teo) may have had a case against the nfl based off of some of those probing questions. In light of this situation I would expect some sort of "politically correct" policy be put in place by the nfl in the near future. If a guy helps the RAMS win games…I could care less his sexual orientation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Questions re: Sexual Orientation at Combine

I just want to know that I guy can get a sack. Not who he's doing in the sack.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

For those of you who know my political leanings, this may surprise you...

WHO CARES?

They want a job playing football. It shouldn't matter if they like girls or guys - it DOES matter if they know how to play football.

What business of ours is their sexual orientation or preference? If it does not affect those who are around them, it should not be an issue.
    Nick likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I say let them in. Would see fewer dropped balls.
    RuffRams likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Right or wrong, asking a potential NFL player about their sexual orientation is a complete waste of time. No prospect is going to admit to being gay with the current attitudes that exist in the league, no way. If teams think they'll get an honest answer to the question, they're delusional.
    Nick likes this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Agree with all. Like marriage (whole diff topic) if they want to play who cares who they like

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As we tend to do in situations like this, the Mods have pulled out the black bag and managed to "procure" some intel from the Combine. I'm not going to say how we got it, but we've acquired the following transcript from one of the Manti Teo interviews:

Coach - So, Manti, thanks for meeting with us.

Manti - Thanks for the opportunity.

Coach - Before we get into the football related questions, I have a.....umm, different question for you. If that's okay.

Manti - Sure coach, I'm an open book.

Coach - Okay, then. Uuumm, do you.....um, do you like.....girls?

Manti - What do you mean, coach?

Coach - Well, you know, I mean.....um do you, you know, date girls? Interested in girls? You know?

Manti - Oh! I get it. Yea, coach, I'm straight. I'm all about the ladies. I know there were some rumors going around, but that's all they were. Trust me, coach; if I'm not playing ball, I'm looking to bag a babe. In fact, the first thing I'm going to do after getting drafted is start checking out the team's cheerleaders. Know what I mean? Make my own little spirit squad! Yea, you know it!

Coach - So did you see "Say Yes To The Dress" last night?

Manti - OMG, yes! It was FAAAAAABULOUSSSSSSS!!! Oh, er, I mean...uh....

Coach - Ah ha!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the best response I saw to this topic came from some random person on Twitter whom a follower of mine retweeted, but he said that if any prospect was asked about his interest in girls, the response should be, "Why? Is your daughter on the market?" Talk about an awkward turn of the tables.
    jmk321 likes this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Every year something like this comes up out of the interviews. Last year it was; Is you mother a prostitute?

Beastified is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

WHO CARES?

They want a job playing football. It shouldn't matter if they like girls or guys - it DOES matter if they know how to play football.

What business of ours is their sexual orientation or preference? If it does not affect those who are around them, it should not be an issue.

See, that's the problem.... Especially on a young team like the Rams. Isn't the ILB suppose to be the leader of the defense? If for some reason Manti Te'O was drafted by the Rams and James Laurinaitis was traded, and everyone in the locker room knows he's gay, what do you think is going to happen? Remember, we got many young and immature players on this team. It would not go over well, and the team chemistry would be broken and it would be akward.

Teams do not want that, they want everything to run smoothly. Drafting a gay player would cause problems on the locker room and potentially impact players' performances. If a player with high draft stock like Te'O were to admit being gay before the draft, his stock would take a massive hit.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastified

See, that's the problem.... Especially on a young team like the Rams. Isn't the ILB suppose to be the leader of the defense? If for some reason Manti Te'O was drafted by the Rams and James Laurinaitis was traded, and everyone in the locker room knows he's gay, what do you think is going to happen? Remember, we got many young and immature players on this team. It would not go over well, and the team chemistry would be broken and it would be akward.

Teams do not want that, they want everything to run smoothly. Drafting a gay player would cause problems on the locker room and potentially impact players' performances. If a player with high draft stock like Te'O were to admit being gay before the draft, his stock would take a massive hit.
    Substitute "African-American" for "gay," and you have a perfect description of the 1940s.
    jmk321 and citr92 like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

WHO CARES?

this is what i was just about to say, WHO CARES?!

it shouldn't matter to anyone else

i say quit being an intolerable ***hole and just accept that people prefer different things

they're a human being, they want to play football, let them play without discrimination

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Every year something like this comes up out of the interviews. Last year it was; Is you mother a prostitute?
    .....really?

general counsel is offline Registered User

AV just hit the nail on the head. If you oppose discrimination, you need to oppose it in all forms. If someone was making a comment about disruption on racial grounds, there is no way that anyone would tolerate it, no matter what impact it had on the locker room. Why should sexual orientation be any different?

In the immortal works of Charles Barkley, who is in my view the single most direct commentator in all of sports, (paraphrasing), i would rather play with a guy that is gay than a straight guy that can't play.

Anyone that can help the team win and be a good team player should be welcome. Discrimination in any form is unacceptable on any level.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast