Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Racism NFL

Kane is offline Registered User

Re: Racism NFL

Don't think this is racism at all, but there is certainly something of an inconsistancy.

In my opinion what Vick did was a disgrace. Yes he did apologise for it, but only after previously denying it and when the eveidence against him became undeniable. He has brought the NFL in to disrepute and I would be delighted if he never plays in the NFL again.

The Bellickeck story is still in its infancy, but I struggle to see how a FINE ( and loss of the odd draft pick) is sufficient punishment for blatant cheating. I do wonder how much of this soft treatment is because it's Bellicheck and because its the Patriots...

moklerman is offline Registered User

While I, by no means, support the Patriots or Bellichick I think that the fine wasn't blatantly disproportionate to what else the commissioner has done. All teams try to steal signs and doing it isn't against the rules of the NFL. Using modern technology is taking it to the next level and frowned upon but the motivation itself isn't.

Also, in terms of how much BB was fined, the amount was the maximum allowed under the current CBA. I can't really fault Goodell there either. I do think that a suspension was warranted but I also feel that Goodell has done too well so far to split hairs in this case. The whole situation is, I'm pretty sure, unprecidented so how much is enough?

As far as stealing signs in general, I'm undecided about how unscrupulous it is. If your team is that dependent on the signs coming in from the sideline then I think that is a weakness that should be guarded more securely. Change the calls every week or send them in by player or whatever. It is a huge advantage to have the other team's alignment but if it isn't forbidden by the league, who's responsibility is it to keep those signals safe? I gotta say, if Martz or Vermeil had been doing this sort of thing during the GSOT days that I wouldn't feel nearly as outraged and I think a lot of Rams fans would be quietly tipping their proverbial hat to them for doing everything they could to win.

Lastly, and it's hardly worth discussing in this case, I don't think racism is a motivator here or in any other decision that Goodell has made. I don't know if there is an actual term but false persecution seems evident to me. There has been, and always will be, racism. I think in today's USA that there is more being done to combat it than anywhere else. In fact, I would say there is a noticable amount of reverse-racism and reverse-discrimination. Speaking of specifics, if there isn't a double standard then why hasn't Donovan McNabb been fired for his accusatory racial comments? Why isn't there an outcry of support for racial equality at the RB or WR or K positions? Why aren't blacks upset that Mexican's, Chinese, Indian or other minority groups aren't represented more in the NFL? Is a race that feels persecuted by another ever going to hold hands and sing kum-by-yah together?

Bellichik wasn't suspended so Roger Goodell must hate black people. Gimme a break.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Racism in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    While I, by no means, support the Patriots or Bellichick I think that the fine wasn't blatantly disproportionate to what else the commissioner has done. All teams try to steal signs and doing it isn't against the rules of the NFL. Using modern technology is taking it to the next level and frowned upon but the motivation itself isn't.
    Sure all teams do what they can to get an advantage, and everybody knows it. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't see nearly every coach on the sideline who calls plays covering their mouths with their play cards. But while stealing signs isn't against the rules, using video cameras on the sidelines to do it is, big time. It's a cut and dry violation with absolutely no ambiguity. Belichick knew this, then tried to play stupid. No excuse, he cheated in a major way and should have been suspended.

Lastly, and it's hardly worth discussing in this case, I don't think racism is a motivator here or in any other decision that Goodell has made. I don't know if there is an actual term but false persecution seems evident to me. There has been, and always will be, racism. I think in today's USA that there is more being done to combat it than anywhere else. In fact, I would say there is a noticable amount of reverse-racism and reverse-discrimination. Speaking of specifics, if there isn't a double standard then why hasn't Donovan McNabb been fired for his accusatory racial comments? Why isn't there an outcry of support for racial equality at the RB or WR or K positions? Why aren't blacks upset that Mexican's, Chinese, Indian or other minority groups aren't represented more in the NFL? Is a race that feels persecuted by another ever going to hold hands and sing kum-by-yah together?

Bellichik wasn't suspended so Roger Goodell must hate black people. Gimme a break.
    This post by BigGame blasts any claim of racism with regard to NFL punishment out of the water with no if's, and's or but's:

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Oh and just to further debunk your racism claim, what about Wade Wilson?? There is a white man who got 5 games for HGH even though he isn't a player and has a medical condition! I suppose you just happened to forget about that one huh?

Belichick knew this, then tried to play stupid. No excuse, he cheated in a major way and should have been suspended.
    I would have "liked" to have seen BB suspended but is it written that this is an automatic suspension? I would argue your use of "in a major way" also. It is an extension of something that is accepted so I can see how the waters get muddied. BB & Co. got caught but they aren't the only one's doing it so I question how much of a practical advantage that it really is. It pisses me off and it makes me question how level the playing field is for NFL teams but NE kicking the crap out of SD also makes me think that it may not be as bad as I originally thought.
    This post by BigGame blasts any claim of racism with regard to NFL punishment out of the water with no if's, and's or but's:
    While I don't think racism is a problem in the NFL at all, I don't feel that example is anything conclusive. It really isn't the same situation (in my opinion) and it was addressed directly by the commissioner(asked by Rich Eisen) on NFL Access. Goodell basically said that what Wilson did was illegal. He broke the law so he was suspended. BB didn't break the law so it isn't comparable in terms of penalty.

I agree with doing what you can to win but I also feel that you have to pay the piper when you're caught with your pants down. The best solution I've heard(wish I could claim it) is to put the Pat's on probation. How long, I don't know but prevent them going to the playoffs regardless of record until they're off suspension. I think that would nip the problem in the bud. Completely and absolutely.

I would argue your use of "in a major way" also. It is an extension of something that is accepted so I can see how the waters get muddied. BB & Co. got caught but they aren't the only one's doing it so I question how much of a practical advantage that it really is.
    There have been no other allegations against any other team for blatently defying the NFL directive about using video cameras on the sideline. That rule was specifically highlighted and emphasized in a memo that was sent to all teams after the first complaint against the Patriots by the Packers for guess what, pointing a video camera at the defensive playcaller from the sideline.

While I don't think racism is a problem in the NFL at all, I don't feel that example is anything conclusive. It really isn't the same situation (in my opinion) and it was addressed directly by the commissioner(asked by Rich Eisen) on NFL Access. Goodell basically said that what Wilson did was illegal. He broke the law so he was suspended. BB didn't break the law so it isn't comparable in terms of penalty.
    The point is, severe penalties are indeed given out by the NFL, regardless of a persons color.

I don't know first hand but I've heard on various interviews that the Pat's aren't the only team doing it. Regardless of the penalties they've received or may still yet receive, it's enough for me to know that their legacy is tainted. No matter what they do from now on, all of their success will have, at the very least, a mental asterisk next to it.

I don't know first hand but I've heard on various interviews that the Pat's aren't the only team doing it. Regardless of the penalties they've received or may still yet receive, it's enough for me to know that their legacy is tainted. No matter what they do from now on, all of their success will have, at the very least, a mental asterisk next to it.
    I agree. There's no justice to be had for whatever rule breaking they did to achieve their success, but at least they've been exposed as what they truely are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123