Rammed is offline Registered User

Raiders agree to terms with Archuleta

Raiders agree to terms with Archuleta

NAPA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders agreed to terms on a contract with Adam Archuleta on Monday in a move to add depth to their defense. Our old buddy......
    Archuleta was at the Raiders facility Monday morning and left with trainer Rod Martin to take a physical. Archuleta was expected to take part in the night practice. The team did not immediately announce a corresponding roster move to create space for Archuleta.
    Archuleta has been a safety in the NFL but played linebacker in college at Arizona State. He could contend for a spot as a backup safety or for the starting strong side linebacker job in Oakland.
    Ricky Brown, Robert Thomas and Sam Williams are competing for the starting role at linebacker alongside Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard.
    Coach Lane Kiffin said after the morning practice that he wanted to bring more players into camp to create more competition for jobs and improve the team's depth.
    "It's been a situation that unfortunately, we haven't brought guys in," he said. "I control what I can control, come out every day and get our guys as good as we can. I'm pleased with the top of our roster but we need to add to the bottom of our roster. We need more competition."
    Archuleta was cut in May by Chicago after one disappointing season with the Bears. He broke a hand early last season and started in just 10 of the 15 games in which he appeared. He lost his starting job to Brandon McGowan and finished the season on special teams.
    "He's a great guy with talent, a good nose for the ball, he brings a lot to the game. I'm excited to have him here," said Thomas, who played with Archuleta in St. Louis. "He can cover tight ends, play defense, play the run, so I'm excited to have him."
    Archuleta, a first-round pick by St. Louis in 2001, has been known throughout his career as a hard-hitting tackler who has struggled at times in coverage in the secondary.
    His career has gone downhill since signing as a free agent with Washington in 2006. He received the largest contract given to a safety, $30 million for six years, with a $10 million bonus. But he ended up starting only seven games and played mostly on special teams before being traded the following year to Chicago for a sixth-round draft pick.
    Archuleta has started 86 of his 103 games in the NFL, making 423 solo tackles and intercepting four passes

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Raiders agree to terms with Archuleta

I wonder if the double A has anything left? The Raiders thinks so.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

im doubting it but good luck to Arch all the same...he`s got the heart of a good player if not the rest of the body of one.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Their secondary just got a whole lot weaker. In my opinion, he was so overrated even when he was with the Rams. His short stints with the Redskins and Bears are just further proof. This guy was a shoddy tackler, took a lot of bad angles to the ball, couldn't cover my grandmother (who is dead), and had hands of stone.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Best of luck to him. He actually was a good thumper in the secondary for a couple of years. Lower back problems can be such a buzzkill.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Josh Guest

I think the raiders are going to use him as a Rover type player. He will be a linebacker in oakland I believe.