r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Raiders Coach Tom Cable Punches, Breaks Jaw Of Assistant

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:01 pm EDT

Report: Raiders coach Tom Cable punches, breaks jaw of assistant
    By Chris Chase

An NFL coach reportedly punched an assistant in the face and broke his jaw. I'd give you three guesses as to whom, but I'm pretty sure you'd only need one.

Fanhouse reports that Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable punched defensive assistant Randy Hanson earlier this month during an altercation at the team's training facility in Napa, Calif. Hanson was taken to the hospital and suffered a broken jaw, but declined to press charges.

Police wouldn't identify the victim or attacker for confidentiality reasons (even though a spokesman had no problem talking at length about the incident), but FanHouse quotes a "well-placed source" that says of the attacker:

"It's a well-known coach. Very well-known."

I'd contend that on the "known" scale Cable is closer to "barely" than "well" but that's just semantics.

The details are still sketchy in this story, so we'll reserve full judgment on the incident until all the facts are leaked come out. We don't know what provoked Cable, if it was indeed a sucker punch (as some sources have alleged) or whether this was some sort of hazing ritual that all Al Davis employees have to go through.

Hanson, it should be noted, has ruffled the feathers of a superior before. He was suspended by then-head coach Lane Kiffin last year after questioning the team's game plan following a 31-point loss to Denver.

The good news for Cable is that Oakland is probably the only place in the NFL where a coach can break the jaw of an assistant and earn respect of fans.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: Raiders Coach Tom Cable Punches, Breaks Jaw Of Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    ...if it was indeed a sucker punch (as some sources have alleged) or whether this was some sort of hazing ritual that all Al Davis employees have to go through.
    Not to mention that they must also be arrested, threaten a fan and blame all of the teams downfalls on the commissioner of the NFL. Then and only then, are they truly a Raider!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

This is the same guy who was suspended last season by Kiffin. So one coach suspends you and the next punches you in the jaw. That doesnt say good things about this guy.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

All I can say , as a SF Bay area Rams fan, is that the Crabtree fiasco and The Cable Guy( aka The JawCracker) have provided some much needed comic relief during the latest Battle of The Bulger being waged on this board recently.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I dont condone punching anyone, but this sad franchise truly has a coach who gives a damn. I believe the RAIDERS are on the up, well, you never know.