RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Raiders Hire USC's Kiffin as Head Coach

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

Raiders hire Kiffin
    USC offensive boss gets 5-year deal in Oakland
    Posted: Monday January 22, 2007 11:04PM; Updated: Tuesday January 23, 2007 12:59AM

By Michael Silver, SI.com

Lane Kiffin, offensive coordinator at Southern California, agreed Monday night to a five-year contract to replace Art Shell as head coach of the Oakland Raiders, SI.com has learned.

Kiffin, the 31-year-old son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, becomes the youngest NFL head coach in decades.

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, Kiffin and the team completed the deal after negotiations began earlier Monday.

He earned the job with a strong interview after the Raiders failed to reach a deal last week with 32-year-old Steve Sarkisian, Kiffin's fellow assistant to Pete Carroll at USC.

Sarkisian had two strong interviews with the Raiders last week, but decided to stay at USC on Friday night. Both claimed Sarkisian never was offered the job, though numerous media reports said Sarkisian turned the club down.

Davis first interviewed Kiffin on Thursday -- apparently to explore the possibility of hiring Kiffin as the club's offensive coordinator. Kiffin, who also coached receivers for USC, returned to the Bay Area on Sunday for a second interview, this time to discuss becoming the Raiders' head coach.

Kiffin also was a finalist for the top job at the University of Minnesota earlier in the offseason.

At 31 years, 8 months, Kiffin is even younger than Harland Svare, who took over the Los Angeles Rams in 1962 at 31 years, 11 months. Svare is listed by the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Web site as the youngest coach in the modern era, though younger coaches -- including George Halas -- led teams during the league's founding years.

But Raiders owner Al Davis has ample reason to trust in young minds: Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan and John Madden all succeeded as Raiders head coaches in their 30s -- as did Davis.

Kiffin is 14 months younger than Madden was when the Hall of Fame coach took over the Raiders in 1969. Davis was 33 years, 6 months when he took charge of the Raiders in 1963.

The former Fresno State quarterback is younger than at least nine players who finished the season with Oakland, including defensive tackle Warren Sapp, fullback Zack Crockett and receiver Alvis Whitted.

After beginning his coach career as an assistant at Fresno State, Kiffin became a secondary coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2000. The following year, he joined Carroll's staff at USC as a tight ends coach, becoming wide receivers coach in 2002 and offensive coordinator in 2005.

Davis fired Shell on Jan. 4 after the Raiders finished with the NFL's worst record at 2-14. It was Oakland's worst record since going 1-13 in 1962.

Oakland has won just 15 games in the four seasons since reaching the Super Bowl after the 2002 season. Davis has fired Bill Callahan, Norv Turner and Shell since then, and many prime candidates for other top coaching jobs apparently are put off by Davis' management style.

The Raiders have serious personnel problems with one of the NFL's worst offenses, but their defense was among the league's best. Oakland also has the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft.

Good luck Kiffin, you're gonna need it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Raiders Hire USC's Kiffin as Head Coach

i hear The Stork is in shape. Maybe they should bring him back at one of the linebacker spots. Actually, George Blanda and Dave Casper would probably help them more. Art Shell may have been fired as coach, but i think they could still use him to suit up on the O line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i hear The Stork is in shape. Maybe they should bring him back at one of the linebacker spots. Actually, George Blanda and Dave Casper would probably help them more. Art Shell may have been fired as coach, but i think they could still use him to suit up on the O line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    They really need the Snake, with John Madden at the helm!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Well, this is exactly where we (I?) thought it would go.

No respectable coach with any real coaching creditials would take this awful job, so Al is forced to go to a guy that's hungry to get his foot in the door. It also serves Al well in that he's got another guy that he can manipulate as own personal puppet.

I almost feel sorry for Kiffin, ...almost. This is the same guy that was turned down for an HC job at Minnesota? ...And NOT the Minnesota Vikings, but the University of Minnesota. If he's not HC material at the college level, what chance does he have of turning around this horrific franchise? How will the players, mainly the prima-donna's, respond to a 31 year-old coach with no experience? You saw how this team of losers responded to an ex-NFL player, and a good one at that. Imagine the treatment Kiffin will get.

I can't wait to see how this all pans out. The train-wreck known as the Oakland Raiders is going to be real entertaining this season. Grab the popcorn, take a seat and enjoy!
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

When I saw the headline that Kiffin had got the job,I immediately thought that it must be his dad.Looking back I should have realized that no respected coach would want this job.He certainly will have his work cut out and it is hard to see when(if!!) the Raiders will be able to turn it around..:l

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The Faiders are really reaching here, but I guess they have little choice. Bringing in a guy who has zero head coaching experience at any level to try and straighten out a team that is in complete chaos looks like sheer desperation. Michael Vick as a coach killer has nothing over the Faiders in that department. Good luck Lane, you're going to need it.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

This story just keeps gettin' better....

Did anyone hear the introduction of Kiffin by Elvis? ....uh, I mean, Al Davis.

Besides the normal spewing by Al of the usual words and phrases such as "greatness of the Faiders", and "commitment to excellance", and "glory days of the past", Al says the Faiders needed to "turn the clock back" to get back to being the team they were. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Uh, Al buddy, that's been your problem, you ARE living in the past with this team. Your offensive philosophy is outdated, and doesn't work anymore. Not with the athletes and defensive schemes of today. You need to move FORWARD Al. Hello, is there anybody home?

Then, to make the sitcom even funnier, Kiffin reads a written statement (I'm paraphrasing here) and says; "We're going to attack and practice with high-energy and we're going to work so hard in practice that the game will seem easy". OMG! :O Can you just imagine what fatty Warren Sapp and the ultimate team player Randy Moss were thinking when they heard that? "We're gonna what?" This guy thinks he GOT the job in Minnesota! He still thinks he's at USC! He obviously has been mentored by USC's HC, Pete Carroll. But this isn't the NCAA, Lane. These guys won't respond to that kind of approach, especially from a 31 year-old "punk". And if I remember correctly, didn't Pete try the same approach in the NFL? ...and how well did that turn out?

Ya know, without teams like the Jokeland Faiders to kick around, the NFL wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Keep up the good work Al.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968