RamWraith is offline Registered User

Raiders might talk to Martz

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

All was quiet at Raiders headquarters Tuesday as team officials (namely, Al Davis) plotted the next step in the search for their eighth head coach in 13 years.

Davis interviewed USC assistant Steve Sarkisian on Monday and wants to interview at least two more candidates to replace Art Shell, who was fired Thursday after going 2-14 in his first season back with the Raiders.

No arrangements had been finalized to bring in the next candidate, according to several team sources. The Raiders as an organization do not openly discuss job searches.

One candidate to watch for is former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz, who is interviewing for the Miami Dolphins' head-coaching vacancy today. According to a league source close to Martz, he would be "very interested" in interviewing with the Raiders for the second time in two years.

A Raiders official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that Martz is believed to be on Davis' short list of candidates. As of Tuesday, the Raiders had not contacted Martz for an interview.

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan also are considered candidates. Former Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green and San Diego Chargers assistant James Lofton also could get sit-down interviews with Davis before the process is over.

Martz, who coached the Rams from 2000 through '05, is the sort of offensive mastermind some within the organization believe the Raiders desperately need after they ranked last in the NFL in offense and scoring.

With the Rams, he engineered a high-flying offense dubbed the "Greatest Show on Turf." Hired as their offensive coordinator in 1999, he took an offense that was 27th in the NFL in 1998 and turned it unto the No. 1 offense in the NFL the next season, culminating in a Super Bowl victory.

Their 526 points scored was fourth-best in NFL history. Promoted to head coach one year later, Martz's Rams became the first NFL team to score at least 500 points in three straight seasons.

The Raiders, in stark contrast, scored 169 points with 12 offensive touchdowns this past season. That's the fewest points scored in franchise history (including the 1982 strike-shortened season) and the fifth-fewest points since the advent of the 16-game schedule in 1978 (excluding the strike season).

The Rams fired Martz after the 2005 season after he missed most the season with a heart ailment. Hired to run the Detroit Lions' offense, Martz took a passing offense that was 27th in the NFL in 2005 and churned out the No. 7 passing game in the league in 2006.

Unlike in St. Louis, it did not result in a magical turnaround. The Lions finished with a 3-13 record, second-worst to the Raiders.

Given his track record, Martz likely would demand more say in running the team than the previous three coaches enjoyed, something more along the lines of the authority granted to Jon Gruden to make some personnel decisions during his coaching stay from 1998 through 2001.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Raiders might talk to Martz

Mike Martz + Al Davis= Disaster!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Or Al Davis dieing in an argument?

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    According to a league source close to Martz, he would be "very interested" in interviewing with the Raiders for the second time in two years.
    I don't know what's funnier, the thought of how horrible of a mess there would be if Martz and Davis tried to coexist, or the fact that they denied Martz the job last year in favor of Shell...this is getting good.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The problems Martz had with the Rams front office would pale in comparison to what he'd have to deal with in Choaktown with Al Davis. Two intense control freaks is not a recipe for success or harmony. If Mad Mike were to take over and somehow make something out of the complete disaster that is the Faider offense, his status of "offensive genious" would be cemented in history.

Personally, I'd love to watch the circus unfold if a Martz/Davis marriage were to happen.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i wouldn't wish that job on anybody including Martz.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I don't know what's funnier, the thought of how horrible of a mess there would be if Martz and Davis tried to coexist, or the fact that they denied Martz the job last year in favor of Shell...this is getting good.
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe Martz turned down the Raider job last year. Shell was more of a "nobody wants this job so let's give it to Shell" type of deal.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -01-10-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

While I would enjoy the hilarity of a Martz/Davis combo, I think it would be a good idea for Davis to promote Ryan from DC to HC. Since he had the defense playing at a respectable level, maybe he could have the rest of the team play well, too. Plus he has the look of an Oakland Raider

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I can't see any up-and-coming coach taking this job. It's a career killer if there ever was one. Until Davis sells the team or dies, the Raiders will truly be a "black hole". I can understand Martz wanting to be closer to home in SD, but Oakland just wouldn't be a good thing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

If Martz goes to Oakland he might as well retire because that is a dieing franchise and its not a good place for any player or coach to go nothing good comes out of being their.With Martz history i would hate for him to go out with such a terrible team he deserves better.I dont want the Raiders to be his last home so i hope he doesnt go.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Personally, I'd love to see Martz coach up in Jokeland.

Grab a beer and plate of nachos every Sunday and watch the fun unfold. Can you imagine Mike trying to teach his offense to that bunch of losers?

Talk about funny.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968