BerlinThunder is offline Registered User

Raiders sign Alston to their practice squad

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/03/2007

Joshua Luchs, the agent for Jon Alston, thought the Rams were kidding Saturday when informed that the second-year linebacker from Stanford was being cut. But it was no joke. Alston was released, with the Rams choosing to go with Tim McGarigle and Quinton Culberson for their final roster spots at linebacker.

"We were very surprised," Luchs said Monday. "It was shocking. But everything happens for a reason."

Within minutes after Alston cleared waivers on Sunday, he was signed to the Oakland Raiders' practice squad. According to Luchs, four teams inquired about signing Alston to their practice squad, but the Rams were not one of those four teams. As for Oakland, Luchs said Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin personally called Alston to invite him to join the Raiders' practice squad.

"He said, 'You're the only guy I've ever seen run down Reggie Bush,' " Luchs said.

Kiffin was offensive coordinator at the University of Southern California, where Bush played running back in college, before being hired by the Raiders this past offseason.

Luchs said he had received nothing but positive feedback from the Rams about Alston's play, adding to the surprise when Alston was cut.

"You win in this game with guys like Jon Alston," Luchs said. "High motor. High character. High intensity."

The Rams announced two additions to their practice squad Sunday: running back John David Washington and cornerback Darius Vinnett. They join wide receivers Derek Stanley and Dominique Thompson, quarterback Brock Berlin, center Dustin Fry, and defensive tackle Keith Jackson on the squad. The Rams still have one spot available on the eight-man practice squad, which practices with the team but can't play in games.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Raiders sign Alston to their practice squad

According to Luchs, four teams inquired about signing Alston to their practice squad, but the Rams were not one of those four teams.
    Ok that makes no sense at all...what in the heck did Alston do to piss off the coaching staff? There has to be a behind the scenes reason why he not only didn't make the team, but wasn't even wanted on the practice squad. something isn't right there.

The Rams announced two additions to their practice squad Sunday: running back John David Washington
    They must really like having Denzel around... :x

Rambos is offline Registered User

No room for Alston on the practice squad but we have a spot for John David Washington.

I guess he just not a good fit, not sure what has changed from when we drafted him and now.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-03-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Yeah, as said, there has to be something the Rams saw as to why he's not at least on the practice squad.

general counsel is offline Registered User

but its also interesting that not one team claimed him to put him on their 53 man roster, which is relevant in the context of most of us being shocked that we cut him in the first place.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    But it's also interesting that not one team claimed him to put him on their 53 man roster, which is relevant in the context of most of us being shocked that we cut him in the first place.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel

Exactly. Was thinking the same thing. I actually figured that Alston would be picked up right away by a team for their roster, not for their 'PS'.

What could it be? Beats me! :x

Well, for now, I hope things work out for Jon. We'll find out if this statement was not only right on the mark but also honest:

"You win in this game with guys like Jon Alston," Luchs said. "High motor. High character. High intensity."

Rambos is offline Registered User

I actually figured that Alston would be picked up right away by a team for their roster, not for their 'PS'.
    It will take him or anyone time to learn the play book, so it could take a few weeks to get him up to speed.

Drew is offline Registered User

I dont know what is more shocking us letting him go or Faiders signing someone with good charactor....unless the reason he was cut was because he was caught with his hands in Mrs Linehan`s knicker drawer....:x

general counsel is offline Registered User

i continue to believe that at the end of the day, he is a linebacker in a safetys body and thats really the issue.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    but its also interesting that not one team claimed him to put him on their 53 man roster, which is relevant in the context of most of us being shocked that we cut him in the first place.
    What a great point, GC. For as surprised as we were in Alston being cut, it's very interesting to note that he wasn't added to an active roster but rather the practice squad of the Raiders. I like to think that you learn a lot about how a player's talent is perceived by how quickly and how heavily the rest of the league goes after him as a free agent. By that standard, this would not be a good statement for Alston.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

The fact that he is a 6-0, 225 LB is the reason he isn't on a squad ...

He's too small, I don't care what kind of motor he has ...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The thing is, Alston is a weakside linebacker. Its probably our strongest position on the team with both Pisa Tinoisamoa and Chris Draft there on the depth chart.

Then you have to look at who got the roster spots ahead of him, and that was Culberson and McGarigle. Culberson is listed as one inch taller then Alston but is ten pounds heavier, while McGarigle is the same height but 15 pounds heavier. And like i said, we already had enough depth at weakside LB.

If Alston is a safety, well he was just too raw in coverage to be considered an upgrade over Jerome Carter and the veteran hard hitting special teamer Todd Johnson

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

While I tend to agree with gc and nick on this one, I don't think it is simple as saying he only made the raiders ps so he musn't be well thought of. I would be surprised if before long he isn't on their roster and another point to consider is at this time of the year teams are trying to pick up veteran guys who have been cut and are thus seen as a safer bet than basically a rookie, situational type player like Alston..

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I know he's small, but if that was such a problem, why'd we take him in the third round of the draft? He seemed to be improving, and according to this article he received nothing but positive feedback. You can ask a lot of things of a player, but you can't exactly ask him to grow...unless the player is Rodney Harrison. :x

viper is offline Registered User

Sheesh, I go away for a holiday weekend and all heck breaks loose...Alston getting cut, acquiring Pittman and Steussie breaking his foot.

I thought for sure Alston would make the 53 man roster. He did show flashes of great potential early in preseason. But, he did seem to become more of a non-factor as time went on. I did see him miss filling the gap that led to the 55 yard scamper against KC that gave me some doubt. Although, I was pretty sure he was safe.

You know who did impress me was McGarigle. I had heard a lot about him but, had never seen him play. Watching him against KC I came away quite impressed. He looks like a solid tackler with size who seem to be in the right place most of the time. The TD saving interception was just the icing on the cake. After watching him play I'm OK with keeping him over Alston and now I know why we did cut Alson. I'm all for getting bigger in our line backing core and McGarigle and Culberson are a step in the right direction. However, I probably would have kept Alston (or Kay-Jay Harris for that matter) on the practice squad over J. D. Washington.
    Last edited by viper; -09-04-2007 at 03:20 PM.