Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Redskins give OT Samuels HUGE contract extension (and somewhere, Pace salivates)

Signing bonus of $15.75M largest in 'Skins history
    Tuesday, March 1, 2005
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

A week of tough negotiations, including several tenuous moments Tuesday night when the deal nearly fell apart, has concluded in the Washington Redskins reaching a contract extension agreement with left offensive tackle Chris Samuels.

The five-year veteran, who has been a starter since his rookie season, agreed late Tuesday to a new seven-year contract worth $46.5 million. It includes a $15.75 million signing bonus, the largest in franchise history, and total guarantees of $19 million. Samuels will earn about $23 million in the first three years of the contract.

The deal, negotiated by agent Jimmy Sexton over the past week, continues the upward spiral of contracts for offensive tackles. The signing bonus is the third-largest ever paid an offensive linemen, trailing on the $18 million in upfront money received by Jonathan Ogden of the Baltimore Ravens two years ago and the $16 million signing bonus awarded Seattle's Walter Jones last week.

In terms of per-year average in the first three seasons of the contract, it is believed that Samuels is the second highest-paid lineman in league history.

Even though it seemed certain over the last few days that an agreement would be struck that would grant the Redskins salary cap relief before the beginning of free agency on Wednesday, there were some tense moments Tuesday evening as the two sides haggled over contract language and dollar distribution. By signing Samuels to the extension, the Redskins will recoup $3 million-$5 million in cap room.

Samuels, 27, was entering the final year of the contract he signed with Washington as one of the club's two first-round choices in the 2000 draft. He was due $6.5 million between base salary and bonuses in 2005 and carried a cap charge of $9.5 million. Team officials had been attempting to restructure Samuels' contract for more than a year.

Last week, it appeared that reaching a new deal with Samuels would be necessary, since the Redskins needed cap room in the event they traded wide receiver Laveranues Coles. Even though trade negotiations continued on Tuesday with the New York Jets, the talks did not result in a trade and likely won't now.

Roosevelt Barnes, the agent for Coles, told ESPN.com late Tuesday that it was "highly unlikely" that Washington will trade his client.

Still, by completing the Samuels contract, the Redskins will be well under the league ceiling of $85.5 million with which each NFL team must be in compliance Wednesday morning. And the cap savings will provide the Redskins with some wiggle room in the event they pursue some veteran free agents.

A former University of Alabama star, Samuels was the third prospect chosen overall in the 2000 draft. He has appeared in 76 games, all starts, in five seasons.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Redskins give OT Samuels HUGE contract extension (and somewhere, Pace salivates)

Well ... "thanks a lot" Samuels!

When will it ever end. *$igh* The color of money.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Redskins give OT Samuels HUGE contract extension (and somewhere, Pace salivates)

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel's contract
    seven-year contract worth $46.5 million. It includes a $15.75 million signing bonus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones' contract
    The dealís seven-year, $52.5 million total included a $16 million signing bonus
    Ok, Pace & Zygmunt, you now have TWO examples of what a top-tier LT is getting paid these days. I'll make a suggestion: 7 years, $53 million w/ $16 million signing bonus. Sounds good to me, now sign it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman Guest

How the hell did Daniel Snyder make his money? He generally seems to have no clue and generally tries to solve the team's problems by throwing money at them. I can understand overpaying a player that he really covets but EVERYONE who signs a contract there seems to be ridiculously overpaid.

I could be wrong but it seems like just about everyone that he's given a big/huge contract to has played mediocre at best. Coles, Brunell, Portis, etc. have all been duds for the Redskins as a whole.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd hardly put Portis - and perhaps not even Coles - in the dud category with Brunell. But his philosophy is suspect.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Chrisbob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    How the hell did Daniel Snyder make his money? He generally seems to have no clue and generally tries to solve the team's problems by throwing money at them. I can understand overpaying a player that he really covets but EVERYONE who signs a contract there seems to be ridiculously overpaid.

I could be wrong but it seems like just about everyone that he's given a big/huge contract to has played mediocre at best. Coles, Brunell, Portis, etc. have all been duds for the Redskins as a whole.
    Snyder pays big signing bonuses on backloaded contracts, the players will never see the big slaries at the back end of the deals but get the big guaranteed lump sum that all players want.

As for this move, Samuels had the Redskins by the short and curlies, Jones got a big deal and they needed cap relief off him.

But as Rams fans, I can understand why it upsets you all, more bargaining power for Pace.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Wow....well I guess here is my answer. The offensive line guys are getting the money and the big contracts. This blows my mind. A $15.75 million dollar signing bonus. Unbelievable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]