Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Redskins sign Troy Vincent, interesting Archuleta tidbit in the article

Struggling Redskins sign DB Vincent
    By Joseph White
    AP Sports Writer

ASHBURN, Va. -- After six weeks of letting receivers run unfettered through the secondary, the slumping Washington Redskins addressed the problem Monday by signing five-time Pro Bowl defensive back Troy Vincent.

Vincent, whose 47 interceptions ranks second among active players, was released from the Buffalo Bills' injured reserve list last week. The 15-year veteran hurt his hamstring during the preseason and aggravated it in the season opener against New England, but he said he has fully recovered. He could play Sunday when the Redskins visit the Indianapolis Colts.

"Obviously, I'm not the answer," said Vincent, who spent the day taking a crash course in the defense. "But I do believe I can bring some value."

Vincent, 35, joins a team that has spent heavily on safeties and cornerbacks, only to watch them allow more passing plays of 20-plus yards (25) than any team except Green Bay. The Redskins (2-4) ranked 23rd in the league in pass defense through Sunday's games, and they lost on Sunday to a rookie quarterback (Vince Young) starting for a winless team (Tennessee).

"We felt like it was a chance to add somebody who was a quality guy," coach Joe Gibbs said, "a guy who can play multiple positions back there for us."

Vincent had a strong season last year, with a career-high 102 tackles and a team-high four interceptions with the Bills. The No. 7 overall pick by Miami in 1992, Vincent played four seasons with the Dolphins and eight with Philadelphia before joining Buffalo in 2004, where he switched to free safety after spending his first 12 seasons as a cornerback.

Vincent was surprised when the Bills placed him on IR last month, given that his injury was relatively minor, but the team said it needed to clear a roster spot for other purposes. He was released Thursday and was courted immediately by Arizona, San Francisco, Tampa.

Vincent's disdain for Dallas kept him from considering an overture from the Cowboys, and he said there was no serious possibility of returning to the Eagles: "I felt like my days were over in Philly," he said.

He said he chose the Redskins, signing a one-year deal, to stay near his family. He still has a home near Philadelphia and is building one in northern Virginia.

Vincent said he will initially work at safety. Defensive backs coach Jerry Gray, who was also Vincent's position coach in Buffalo, said Vincent will serve as a "player-coach on the field."

The Redskins need help at both safety and cornerback. The defense has only two interceptions this year, and one of those was by a lineman.

Adam Archuleta was signed to the richest contract given to a safety in NFL history in the offseason, but he has struggled in pass coverage and hasn't been a force as a run-stopper. Third-year safety Sean Taylor was expected to establish himself as one of the best in the league this year, but he has lacked his usual ferocity and has also been susceptible to passes over the middle. Nickel safety Pierson Prioleau was lost for the season opener with a knee injury in the opening game.

Shawn Springs, the team's only shutdown cornerback, made his season debut Sunday after missing the first five games with abdomen and groin injuries. Even then, he only played in nickel packages, and he said Monday he's not yet fit enough to play an entire game.

Second-year cornerback Carlos Rogers has been a disappointment and broke his thumb in Sunday's game. His status is uncertain for the Colts game. Free agent pickup Kenny Wright lost his receiver on a fourth-down, 23-yard completion Sunday against the Titans. The performance of another new acquisition, Mike Rumph, has been such a letdown that he was made inactive Sunday.

Vincent, whose next game will be his 200th as a pro, is also the president of the NFL Players Association.

The signing provided a distraction on an otherwise somber day at Redskins Park. Many players were at a loss to explain the team's struggles, although some hinted that the team is missing the swagger it had last year.

"We've just got to go out on the field and want it and be hungry and know how to put things away," defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "And right now I don't think we're doing that."

Gibbs addressed two sticky issues, saying he will stick with Mark Brunell at quarterback and that the offense stopped running the ball in the second half against the Titans because it was averaging barely one yard per carry.

Asked why he will keep playing Brunell if the quarterback is inconsistent, Gibbs said: "You can probably say that about every position on our team."

To make room for Vincent, the Redskins released safety Curry Burns.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Redskins sign Troy Vincent, interesting Archuleta tidbit in the article

Adam Archuleta was signed to the richest contract given to a safety in NFL history in the offseason, but he has struggled in pass coverage and hasn't been a force as a run-stopper.
    Had Snyder only asked the Clan, we could have saved him a ton of money.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Had Snyder only asked the Clan, we could have saved him a ton of money.
    Seriously...he had tons of potential, just never seemed to tap into it.

Adam Archuleta was signed to the richest contract given to a safety in NFL history in the offseason, but he has struggled in pass coverage and hasn't been a force as a run-stopper.
    I knew he got a fat contract, but somehow I missed that it was the biggest ever. WOW, what a horrible mismanagement of money on the Redskins part.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

I knew he got a fat contract, but somehow I missed that it was the biggest ever. WOW, what a horrible mismanagement of money on the Redskins part.
    Lol, its what they do every year. They spend so much money, and still aren't an above average team. They're like the Cards, every year, they'll be amazing becase of spectacular drafts and all that nonsense. But still, its the same old team.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Well, but I don't think it was ever a potential issue with Arch. We knew going into his rookie year what Arch was.......a small LB workout warrior who would have to shift to S. And that's exactly how he played. He was a hammer on the run, but couldn't cover to save his life. The argument could be made that he lived up to his potential and even surpassed it in a lot of ways.

That is, until the back injury. Ever since then, he's been damaged goods. And in today's market, damaged goods should not receive the largest contract in history at a given position.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Hubison needs to change his screen name. He should be known as The Oracle.

The big bison hit the nail on the head yet again. Archuleta has played EXACTLY to his potential. What makes anyone think that he would ever be any good in pass coverage. In addition, why would anything think that he would recover fully from that back injury? I have never heard of anyone with a back injury like that ever recovering fully, let alone a pro football player who makes his living throwing his body around and getting crunched.

I will say this about arch. He was a lot closer to being the next john lynch than damnione lewis was to being the next warren sapp.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Hubison needs to change his screen name. He should be known as The Oracle.

The big bison hit the nail on the head yet again. Archuleta has played EXACTLY to his potential. What makes anyone think that he would ever be any good in pass coverage. In addition, why would anything think that he would recover fully from that back injury? I have never heard of anyone with a back injury like that ever recovering fully, let alone a pro football player who makes his living throwing his body around and getting crunched.

I will say this about arch. He was a lot closer to being the next john lynch than damnione lewis was to being the next warren sapp.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Maybe I confused future potential with feelings associated with desperately hoping for a young defensive back to turn into an all-star. Our defense had been missing that super star Pro Bowler for so long that I, like many others, spoke about Archuleta's potential for stardom because didn't have much else to be proud of. Every time someone showed promise or skill we either shipped them off or let them go to a higher bidder. Since lovie Smith left, until this year, there was little to get excited about on our D.

In hind sight it's easy to piont out all of Arch's short comings when we know his strengths couldn't overcome them. But in his rookie year everyone I knew(I was not involved in clanram then) was pumped up about his future as a Ram and being a key component of our defense for years to come. What he lacked in size he made up for with toughness and passion. Funny how things can change so fast. Can you honestly say that had he not gotten injured, he wouldn't turn into a top 5 safety in the league? I'd like to think maybe he would have. But now I don't think he would be in the top 15. Can you blame him for playing worse after that type of back injury? Not really. Can you blame him for going after the huge contract he never would have gotten had he stayed a Ram? You shouldn't. If someone offered you that type of money to continue doing the same thing you love to do, just in a different location, I'd hope you'd take the giant pay raise and move as well.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe I confused future potential with feelings associated with desperately hoping for a young defensive back to turn into an all-star. Our defense had been missing that super star Pro Bowler for so long that I, like many others, spoke about Archuleta's potential for stardom because didn't have much else to be proud of. Every time someone showed promise or skill we either shipped them off or let them go to a higher bidder. Since lovie Smith left, until this year, there was little to get excited about on our D.

In hind sight it's easy to piont out all of Arch's short comings when we know his strengths couldn't overcome them. But in his rookie year everyone I knew(I was not involved in clanram then) was pumped up about his future as a Ram and being a key component of our defense for years to come. What he lacked in size he made up for with toughness and passion. Funny how things can change so fast. Can you honestly say that had he not gotten injured, he wouldn't turn into a top 5 safety in the league? I'd like to think maybe he would have. But now I don't think he would be in the top 15. Can you blame him for playing worse after that type of back injury? Not really. Can you blame him for going after the huge contract he never would have gotten had he stayed a Ram? You shouldn't. If someone offered you that type of money to continue doing the same thing you love to do, just in a different location, I'd hope you'd take the giant pay raise and move as well.
    I agree with almost everything in this post. The only thing I can't agree on is leaving for more money. See I'm old school and wish more Professional players of all the sports would show a true loyalty to their respective teams. I mean when is enough enough ?:x

After all what about the fans ???

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree with almost everything in this post. The only thing I can't agree on is leaving for more money. See I'm old school and wish more Professional players of all the sports would show a true loyalty to their respective teams. I mean when is enough enough ?:x

After all what about the fans ???
    I agree too, but honestly what would you do if someone offered you 5 million a year instead of say 3 million a year? Think of the good you could do for your family or whatever with the xtra 2 mil a year? It's a huge difference. And while you may be loyal to a team, it is still just a job really. Family concerns outweigh job loyalty every time in my book. If the Rams would have made an offer even close and he turned it down for a little more, that is a deifferent story. It's hard to judge when we don't really know the figures/contracts discussed.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The sad thing is it seems like they're in "win now" mode and they'll be lucky not to finish at the bottom of their division, but then again it always seems like they're spending and trading like there's no tomorrow.

They traded a 3rd round pick in the 2006 draft and a 4th next year for Brandon Lloyd.

They traded a minimum of a 3rd and a 4th for T.J. Duckett, who has seen 5 carries since.

They had already traded away their 2006 1st round pick.

They paid Randle El like a no. 1 receiver, even though he's their no. 3.

As mentioned, they gave Archuleta the biggest contract for a safety ever, and if Vincent sees the field as a safety that means either Arch or Taylor comes off. Either that or he'll be relegated to nickelback duties.

Oh yeah, and if the cap hadn't gone up, they would have been $20 million over last year. People were saying they were going to be in worse shape than any other team in the league; so they manage a reprieve with the new CBA and what do they do? Turn around and spend like mad with just as poor judgement as always.

Sweets is offline Registered User

lol @ Synder, still trying to buy a Super Bowl...He needs a coach not stuck in the "Back in the day" mode

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The Redskins need to apply "Home Depot", "Tide", "Dupont" etc. stickers on their helmets. That will bring Gibbs back home.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Wow, some Joe Gibbs bashing going on. I've always like GIbbs as a coach and think he can still get it done. He, like any coach, needs the right talent to win. He's got a washed up QB, an overrated RB (IMO), a recieving corp that I'm not impressed with, and a very inconsistent D. Not to mention the fact he's got a knee jerk owner who doesn't know how to build a team. I think if Joe gave it time, and they tried to build a little more instead of signing high priced FA's, that he could get this team back in the SB.

I remember when he left football and started up his Nascar Team, a lot of people in the Nascar ranks said he would fail. He won several championships and was a great owner. I think he has a knack for winning.

In hind sight it's easy to piont out all of Arch's short comings when we know his strengths couldn't overcome them.
    It is easy in hindsight. But it was pretty easy early on as well. Great run stopper, outstanding blitzing S....but a liability in coverage.
    But in his rookie year everyone I knew(I was not involved in clanram then) was pumped up about his future as a Ram and being a key component of our defense for years to come. What he lacked in size he made up for with toughness and passion.
    And he was a key component. Pre-injury, he was a star in the making, and should have been to a pro-bowl at some point within his first three years.
    Funny how things can change so fast. Can you honestly say that had he not gotten injured, he wouldn't turn into a top 5 safety in the league?
    Had he not got injured, he very well could have been on his way. But if my aunt had marbles, she'd be my uncle.
    Can you blame him for playing worse after that type of back injury?
    Not at all. In fact, I admire his heart for playing through the pain.
    Can you blame him for going after the huge contract he never would have gotten had he stayed a Ram?
    Not at all. He has a very short window of time in which to make all the money he can. He has to do the best by him and his.
    If someone offered you that type of money to continue doing the same thing you love to do, just in a different location, I'd hope you'd take the giant pay raise and move as well.
    Absolutely. I love the Rams, but for the right money, I'd go work for the whiners or the seahawks in a heartbeat.

Nobody's blaming Arch for doing what he had to do. However, nobody should be blaming the FO for not matching Snyder's crazy offer either.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Wow, some Joe Gibbs bashing going on. I've always like GIbbs as a coach and think he can still get it done. He, like any coach, needs the right talent to win. He's got a washed up QB, an overrated RB (IMO), a recieving corp that I'm not impressed with, and a very inconsistent D. Not to mention the fact he's got a knee jerk owner who doesn't know how to build a team. I think if Joe gave it time, and they tried to build a little more instead of signing high priced FA's, that he could get this team back in the SB.
    That "inconsistent" D is one of the only units that has consistently been in the top 10 in total defense at least four out of the last five years. They share that honor with Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and Miami. Not bad company if you ask me. I'll agree with you on the QB, but Portis overrated? He's never had less than 1300 yards in a season, and he's had over 1500 in three out of the last four seasons. His career average is 96 yards/game. It's not like he's playing behind "the Hogs" here either. What exactly makes him overrated? Does he drop passes or have a lot of plays for negative yardage? The only way I see that he qualifies as overrated is that you could argue he wasn't worth the loss of Champ Bailey. Otherwise, I think he has done enough to prove his reputation is deserved. Last year's 'Skins broke franchise records for individual rushing yards (Portis), individual receiving yards (Moss), and number of receptions by a tight end (Cooley). I agree with your criticisms of Snyder, but I think it's awful difficult to make a case that the Redskins aren't one of the most talented teams in the league on paper right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast