UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Redskins's Synder under fire by the media and the fans

here is an article about one of the coaches defending Dan Snyder, owner of the redskins. The media and the fans are all up in arms about Dan Snyder and the way he runs the team. I am happy to see it. The redskins are the first team that brought me into watching football and Snyder has pushed me away from the team. I can't stand the way the man runs the team and makes bad football decisions. The stadium is not that impressive and the prices are ridiculous. Recently, Gibbs was let go, and so were the OC and the DC. Jim Zorn from Seattle was brought in and made HC. He has no experience as a HC and he was suppose to be the play caller. I blame Dan Snyder for all the coaching changes. Gregg Williams would have been the better decision for head coach, but instead Jim Zorn QB coach got the position.

I personally hope that the fans and the media make their point. I wish Dan Snyder would sell the team, or step back and make no football decisions. The fan base is still strong, but they are angry now.

Have you heard anything about this in other parts of the country? It is everyday news here in DC.

Redskins Coach Breaks Silence, Defends Danny
    Blache doesn't talk defense, but defends Snyder
    By CHRIS NEEDHAM
    Updated 10:15 AM EST, Fri, Nov 6, 2009

Print Email Share Buzz up! TWITTER FACEBOOK

Getty Images

Oh, so NOW Greg Blache wants to speak. The prickly defensive coordinator who doesn't like to answer questions, especially from no-nothings like you, has finally decided to speak up. And why? To defend the guy who signs his checks.

Blache has steadfastly avoided the media for weeks, circumventing the rules that require coaches to provide media availability by sending one of his underlings to answer questions, because he just didn't like the sass he was getting.

He decided he wanted to sound off, to defend not his team's defense, but his billionaire boss from John Riggins' assaults. How touching. The Times helpfully provides the transcript.

"I saw a comment that John Riggins had made about Mr. Snyder. It really bothered me. There has been a lot of criticism of him over the last few weeks. This is man I've known for six years and in the six years I've never seen John Riggins here."

And that means what? Outsiders can't have valid points? Outsiders can't come to the conclusion that the Snyder/Vinny relationship is killing the team?

"To hear such a vicious criticism of somebody I consider not just my employer, but a good friend, bothered me."

And that's an example of what's wrong with Snyder. He shouldn't be good friends with anyone on the team. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a healthy respect or that they shouldn't like each other, but "good friend" implies there's not the level of distance there probably should be.

"As much as I hadn't been talking to the media, this was something I felt I needed to do. Somebody needs to stand up and set this record straight because the comment that was made [about Snyder having] 'a dark heart' that's totally untrue."

Yes, because what Skins fans and analysts really want to hear about is your reaction to some old fogey windbag, not about your views on the team's defense or what you're looking to do in the coming weeks.

"The problem is the fans don't get to know Mr. Snyder like we do. They get an impression of things that are written and things are people say."

True. All we know him for is the decade of mediocre records, suing fans, banning signs, and keeping incompetent cronies around. But we're sure he's a nice guy.

"[I've] gone to him for things that I needed in my family. There's times that he's come to me when he's heard about issues in my family and offered his assistance. It's unsurpassed. He's one of the most generous, kind individuals you'll ever meet. My wife and I are involved in hospice and there's been countless times he's come and helped us with issues. I just felt like it was time for somebody to step up and set the record straight and I decided I was going to do it and do it today because it's enough. It really is."

No snark here. OK, maybe just a little: I wonder if the fans he's sued would agree about his generosity.

"We've had criticism from other people outside the building saying what Dan Snyder is and what he isn't. They don't know Dan Snyder."

Do you need to know his favorite color to evaluate his ownership?

"Do I agree with everything Dan Snyder does? No. Trust me. I'm not going to tell you this is a utopia. There's no utopias in football. There's no utopias in life."

Ain't that the truth. In a utopia, they'd have more than one home playoff game since the beginning of the original Bush Administration.

"All he wants to do is win. He'll spend his money. He'll spend his time. He wants to win."

That's obvious. Nobody questions that. We just question whether he has the judgment to put the right people in place to achieve that.

"He's here for the people, for the fans, for the Washington Redskins."

Especially if they fall behind in their ticket payments.

"There's nobody pains more when we're unsuccessful than Dan Snyder. There's nobody that cares more about the fans than Dan Snyder. There's no one that wants to win more than Dan Snyder."

Really? You don't think these fans who've lived and died with the team since they grew up care just as much as the guy who gets to sit back and profit off them? You sure you want to play the "bigger fan" card with the Redskins fanbase, the only fanbase who'd have settled for this much crap for this long, simply because of their loyalty?

"Everything that's wrong with this organization is not Dan Snyder."

No. Some of it's Vinny Cerrato, too. And the lawyers and public affairs people whose actions give off a "let them eat cake" vibe.

"I'm in a lot of those meetings when decisions are made."

OK, fine. We'll blame you, too. Your defense is overrated.

"I wish the best for Mr. Riggins in all of his endeavors. For me to wash my face in the morning and feel like a man and talk to my kids about doing the right thing, I needed to come here and make that comment today."

... while steadfastly ignoring my duties to the media and fans every other day of the week.

"I have no other interest in it. I have a contract for next year so it's not like I'm trying to make something up. If they send me home, the way coaches' contracts are written, they gotta pay me anyways. This is unsolicited but it's from the heart, something I felt like I needed to do."

Gotta admire the guy's loyalty, I suppose. His heart -- whether it's dark or not -- is certainly in the right place. Now if only his defensive backs were in the right place, too.
    Copyright NBC Local Media
    First Published: Nov 6, 2009 9:35 AM EST
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -11-06-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: fixing spelling

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Redskins's Synder under fire by the media and the fans

They are banning all signs in the stadium since the fans are making anti Dan Snyder signs and there is some attempt to ban the fans from talking to the media. RB John Riggins is openly bashing Snyder and calling for fans not go to the games, and not buy anything if they do go.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone?
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -11-06-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Well I don't really have any thoughts on this situation as I'm too wrapped up in the problems of our Rams; however, I was wondering is there a reason why you spelled his last name "Synder" instead of Snyder throughout both of your posts?

Maybe its because this guy has a 'cinder' block for a brain the way he has run that team in the ground.

WHAT SAY YE?

Spelling is not my thing....sorry...I transpose letters all the time

Ok, see this means nothing to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I've always been glad he's not the owner of the Rams. He's been trying to buy a championship for years and he's been sticking his head in football decisions - and none of it ever seems to work out well for the Redskins. For one example I just loved it when they made Adam Archuleta the best paid safety in football ever (don't know if it has since been surpassed, probably) - anyone who'd been watching the Rams even a little could tell you Archuleta was done at that point.

Hadn't heard about him banning signs and suing fans before, but it sure doesn't make him look any better in my eyes...

I know a lot of fans take the team for what iit is and stay loyal to it. I apparently can put up with losses and bad seasons, but I draw the line at a bad owner making bad football moves. They say that Snyder acts like he is playing fantasy football with this team. Always falling for the big name players and spending large amounts of money on them. Adam Archuleta is a perfect example of one of his many bad football decisions.

He took the play calling away from Zorn recently and gave it to some guy that has not been in the league for a while. I don't know how any experienced head coach would want to work with him since it would never be their team to coach and mold.

Back in the day, we had Jack Kent Cooke as the owner and he was a colorful figure that was well known and he loved the team, but he stayed out of the football decisions.

I certainly hope that the Rams do not end up with an owner like Snyder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ramkokopelli is offline Registered User

All the clubs' owners want to win a championship and would happily pay if it was guaranteed… some are just a bit tighter with the money than others. If the fans are unhappy, it's up to them to stay away as money talks! Unfortunately, there are usually more fans lined up to take their places. The Rams have their own bad situation with their absentee owners, Chip and Lucia who don't have any more clue about the club than Georgia did. It's a shame the Rams continue to deteriorate. Wish the fans would speak up in St. Louis and get Chip and Lucia to get off the dime and sell the club to someone who cares about them and would provide direction. Maybe we could get back to having an actual winning season! Fans need to speak up when they have concerns. Too bad the signs are being banned in DC.

Slug is offline Registered User

Danny boy needs to fire Cerrato, hire a real, smart football GM, then back the hell off and let them build a team the right way. And he needs to realize this course of action soon or he's going to continue to lose both on and off the football field. I believe he wants to win and I believe that he /could be/ a good owner if he would swallow his pride and back off a bit. He needs to understand that "his way" isn't working and he needs to start listening to more knowledgeable football people.

I actually like the banning of the signs though. I don't like /why/ they were banned, but I like them gone nonetheless. Always thought it was pretty rude to have someone in the rows in front of me holding up some big ass piece of poster board over their heads that they seemed to think was hilarious but really just got in other fans' ways.

Signs have never been an issue for me, but that is probably because I usually am sitting up high in the stands where the tv cameras aren't looking.

I don't like the banning of the signs, or the fact that they are kicking fans out of the game for trying to send messages to Snyder. The fans can either try to have their opinions heard, or they can abandon the team and stop going to games, and stop spending money at Fed Ex Field. I'd rather not see the fan base leave the team because of a bad owner. It makes me sad to see the organization in this state.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, Snyder comes off very poorly with all of these authoritarian moves. It's almost like he's saying, "My team, not yours!" to the fans...and the coach. I don't even know if Vinny Cerrato is to blame when Dan has so much influence on personnel decisions. When the boss says to sign the $100 million defensive tackle, is it really any surprise that the team might wind up skimping on quality depth?

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Synder is like the new Al Davis of the Raiders or Jerry Jones of the Rams. He is the boss you love to hate!
    Happy Thanksgiving 2014!

rams_geek is offline Registered User

I hate the Redskins.

Was watching the news tonight, and they are saying the sign banning has been lifted at Fed Ex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    Synder is like the new Al Davis of the Raiders or Jerry Jones of the Rams. He is the boss you love to hate!
    No discussion of terrible owners should go without a mention of Al Davis that's for sure! Every single decision he has made for the last decade or so has been a complete disaster that's left everybody scratching their heads. He takes the prize as the worst owner in the league and it's not even close.