Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Refs Did a Very Good Job in the Super Bowl

I'm tired of hearing people complain about the job done by the refs last night. There were a lot of close calls, and they did a great job overall:

Roethlisberger at the goal line: Made the right call. He did not get in.

First half fumble call on Warner: Made the right call. Overturned incorrect call on field and ruled it a forward pass.

Harrison run at end of half: Made the right call. He did get in.

Face mask penalty on Rogers-Cromartie: Made the right call. He grabbed big time.

Roughing the QB on Arizona: Made the wrong call. That was a legal hit.

Running into the holder on FG attempt: Made the right call. He buried the guy.

Late hit on Harrsion, post-possession: Obvious call, and correctly called as a post-possession foul.

Non-call on grounding by Roethlisberger: Correct call. He was outside the "tackle box."

TD to Holmes: Correct call. His toes were clearly in with possession.

Fumble by Warner: Correct call. The ball was knocked from Warner's hand before he moved his arm forward and he merely pushed the ball forward as it fell.

When the refs do a good job, they should be given credit.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: The Refs Did a Very Good Job in the Super Bowl

I have to disagree on the fumble. To many of us it looked like a forward pass. I think that deserved a booth review, and that booth review never came.

I and many were shouting at the TV for a booth review. That was tragic, and game ending.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I still think the last play should've been reviewed.

I also saw a lot of missed obvious holding calls when Ben was scrambling throughout the entire game.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

They did review the fumble and upheld the call, according to both Michaels and the ESPN crawl after the game.

It was a fumble.

bigredman is offline Registered User

True, he got in, but what everybody missed was the fact that his guard grabbed him and pulled him across, which is illegal.

True, but they totally missed a block in the back that directly effected the play.

No way. For starters, the guy just released from being blocked, was obviously holding up and even put his hand out to lessen the impact when he saw he couldn't avoid him. If he had come in with his shoulder or elbows, then yes. That was a BS call. The holder rolled back once..boo hoo...IT'S FOOTBALL!

Fumble by Warner: Correct call. The ball was knocked from Warner's hand before he moved his arm forward and he merely pushed the ball forward as it fell.

This rule needs to be fixed. This could have easily gone the other way given the "interpretation" from Referee to Referee. I say, you get hit before the ball leaves your hand, it's a fumble unless it goes beyond the line of scrimmage.

Also, if the ground can't cause a fumble when you are running the ball, then it shouldn't cause a fumble after a catch and you have possession on the way down.

I will also add that many have said it was wrong of the umpire to throw the flag for holding in the end zone against Pittsburgh because they were at the end of the game. Couldn't disagree more. There were two holds, one was an outright takedown, and Big Ben would have never gotten that ball down field like he did if it weren't for the holds. I don't care what time in the game it is, the Refs should never turn a blind eye to legitimate infractions.
    Last edited by bigredman; -02-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

According to the NFL.com play-by-play, there was no review on the last play. I don't recall seeing the guy under the hood or an official announcement of the ruling, either. I got the impression that the announcers spoke too soon in assuming that there would be one. It was an iffy call either way, but I don't think it got reviewed.

Also, after seeing the replay and realizing that was a punter he was beating on, I think Harrison probably should have been ejected. After dropping a hammer fist on his back as he tried to get up and then going for the guy's face the second time he started up and then shoving the guy again, it was pretty excessive. At first, I thought it must have been a blocker who got a cheap shot on him during the play, but since his victim was the punter, I have to believe it was deliberate retaliation for Wilson hitting the Steelers' kicker earlier.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Yea he got in, but I thought i saw a block in the back and that is being able to see only a little bit of the field.

Face mask penalty on Rogers-Cromartie: Made the right call. He grabbed big time.
    Rodgers-Cromartie was getting his facemask pulled pretty good too. I dont know if they call it a penalty on the offensive player cause it might be a stiff arm. I think it should've been a no-call.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm tired of hearing people complain about the job done by the refs last night. There were a lot of close calls, and they did a great job overall:

No argument here

First half fumble call on Warner: Made the right call. Overturned incorrect call on field and ruled it a forward pass.
    I disagree because it was still in his hand, and his hand propelled the ball forward. That is an incomplete pass every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

No argument here

1/2 and 1/2. Should have been offsetting, and replay the down. The stiff arm was over the edge, and also turned the defender's helmet. That is also a facemask penalty; one that was not called.

No argument here

Disagree. The blocker was HOLDING (not called) the defender, and that HOLD directed him into the ball-holder. Too many past history to quote them all, but any time a defender is blocked into a kicker (first time I have ever seen this called for a holder), there is no penalty. Need I mention our first loss of 1999?

Late hit on Harrsion, post-possession: Obvious call, and correctly called as a post-possession foul.
    No argument here

Non-call on grounding by Roethlisberger: Correct call. He was outside the "tackle box."
    No argument here, but barely. Close enough to be called against a "bottom feeder" team.

TD to Holmes: Correct call. His toes were clearly in with possession.
    No argument here, but I think "clearly" is a stretch of the imagination. Not enough to overturn, no matter what the initial call.

I disagree because it was still in his hand, and his hand propelled the ball forward. That is an incomplete pass every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

When the refs do a good job, they should be given credit.
    I agree that they should get credit when they do a good job, but I disagree that they did a good job. Unless your a stealers fan. Then they did a good job. ;/

I disagree mainly because there were five replays required for this game. Only four were executed, and one was executed improperly. The point that shows me that something was fishy about this game is that all five of those "judgement calls" were in favor of the stealers. The law of averages says that at least one of those calls should have been initially called in favor of the Cards. Also... The stealers center was holding the whole game long, and he was only flagged when he actually tackled his guy. If they used that same criteria for the Cards, they might have had one, instead of three.

Add to all of this Roger Goodell's statement that they put together an exciting game. How did they make it exciting? By waiting til the end of the game to finally penalize the stealers OL, to give that Cards a chance at a fair game? Too little too late in my book.

gap

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

There was also an intentional grounding on that play that was forgot about. [QUOTE]Running into the holder on FG attempt: Made the right call. He buried the guy[QUOTE] He couldn't stop that was BS. Those are my riffs and I was rooting for the steelers

itsguud is offline Registered User

Can't agree with that last call AV. I've seen the reply. He started forward motion before the ball loosened. Wasn't a fumble.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

AV, true or not,..........The booth review is supposed to be after the play, not after the game. When I have 30 people watching the replay's and yelling forward pass, (Myself included), I really don't care what the ref's decide after the game. Cali is going with her 30 peeps and self, any day of the week against one dumb Ref, or 2, or however many zebras can fit under the hood after the game.

Stated with love.
    They did review the fumble and upheld the call, according to both Michaels and the ESPN crawl after the game.

It was a fumble.
    Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -02-03-2009 at 12:00 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

how about the non call on holmes, when he scored and celebrated, he used the ball as a prop that should be 15 yards on the kick off. i know it was a big play and he wanted to celebrate but that 15 yards could be huge when you are attempting a last second hail merry to fitzgerald.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Personally, I don't think the Refs did a very good job as the title of your thread indicates.

Without replay they blow two huge calls on the field.

Then, at the end, I think they owe it to the teams, their fans and the huge tv audience to at least pause the game and announce that the play is being reviewed. As it happened it looks as though they are simply trying to get the game over as quickly as possible. When the officiating crew does something goofy like that it leaves a sour taste with many.

In a superbowl, with supposedly the best officiating crew, blowing huge calls on the field and ending the game as they did is unacceptable and certainly not a very good job.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

It wasn't the refs call to decide to review that last play though. The people in the booth decide if its reviewable and they looked at it for like 20 seconds and decided that the play stands, having no real official booth review. Not the refs fault that last play wasn't reviewed but their fault for the rest of the game.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Just as in any NFL game, there were many calls NOT made and a few controversial.

The Cards had opportunity to tackle Harrison regardless and the prevent defense worked it's magic again.

Rothlisberger was the MVP for the Steelers, not Holmes. It was Roth who refused to be sacked and gave the receivers time to break free from coverage and then put the TD throw where only Holmes had the possibility of catching it.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast