Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: The Refs Did a Very Good Job in the Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Refs did a very good job as the title of your thread indicates.

Without replay they blow two huge calls on the field.

Then, at the end, I think they owe it to the teams, their fans and the huge tv audience to at least pause the game and announce that the play is being reviewed. As it happened it looks as though they are simply trying to get the game over as quickly as possible. When the officiating crew does something goofy like that it leaves a sour taste with many.

In a superbowl, with supposedly the best officiating crew, blowing huge calls on the field and ending the game as they did is unacceptable and certainly not a very good job.

Hey ferter, do you think that Avenger really thinks they did a good job? I think not....he just wants other people to say it for him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Also, after seeing the replay and realizing that was a punter he was beating on, I think Harrison probably should have been ejected. After dropping a hammer fist on his back as he tried to get up and then going for the guy's face the second time he started up and then shoving the guy again, it was pretty excessive. At first, I thought it must have been a blocker who got a cheap shot on him during the play, but since his victim was the punter, I have to believe it was deliberate retaliation for Wilson hitting the Steelers' kicker earlier.
    I was totally shocked by Harrison. What was he thinking? Is this how he plays in all the games? I would have ejected him. Instead the cards got a foot or yard penalty for that beating since the special teams had stopped the ball right near the goal line and all they could give was half the distance to the goal. Harrison got away with it. I hope they fine him big time.

For me, the worst calls were the non-intential grounding turned into roughing the passer call so that the Steelers can keep moving the ball, and the roughing the holder penalty so that they can take another couple shots at the end zone. The cards did hold at the goal line and the roughing the holder penalty got them nothing.

I thought the facemask penalty was not worthy of a 15 yard penalty either. For big rough Steelers players, the refs sure did protect them a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I understand how reviews are done, and I agree. I certainly did not hear watching the game about the booth looking at it for 20 seconds. Where did you get this info? Had they looked at it, it would be a review in my opinion. Your comment leaves me having to ask what your sources are to make a comment like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    It wasn't the refs call to decide to review that last play though. The people in the booth decide if its reviewable and they looked at it for like 20 seconds and decided that the play stands, having no real official booth review. Not the refs fault that last play wasn't reviewed but their fault for the rest of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

RamMember Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm tired of hearing people complain about the job done by the refs last night. There were a lot of close calls, and they did a great job overall:

Roethlisberger at the goal line: Made the right call. He did not get in.

Dang right he didn't.

First half fumble call on Warner: Made the right call. Overturned incorrect call on field and ruled it a forward pass.

Is it just me or do the refs tend to give Warner more rope then other QB's when playing the bowl. Seems like they treated Warner like a cream puff during SB36. Then there was that ridiculous holding call when guess who fumbled. took away 7 points from the pats. Maybe cause it was Warner that fumbled eh?

I may have missed it in that last statement however the spelling checks out.

Harrison run at end of half: Made the right call. He did get in.

well we don't need to ask you on this one avenger cause John Madden decided that even if he did not get in, you have to give it to him anyways? I agree he got in however, what Madden said was in short stupid to any thinking NFL fan. HEY I know what your thinking about the context and all that however he said it twice and never uttered anything such as "but of course we can't award points for effort. It is as ridiculous and as insulting to fans as was the old tired line.

"The Patriots beat the Rams because they hit Marshall Faulk when he did not have the football." BRILLIANT!

As NFL fans we should all (all team fans) join together and denounce propaganda instead of suckling that teat without reference to common sense. We all look like a bunch of easily diluted, easily persuaded thoughtless idiots who in actuality do not know enough about the game to nip that in the bud.

Many fans (read: Patriot fans) happily repeated it. Weather those fans are our enemies or not we should not allow their minds to be so exposed. After all it is we who spend lots of time matching wits with them on these boards so we either expose it or cover it up either way works for me.

OH OH before I forget. THE QBT rule. Remember their final statement on that insulting in your face rhetoric?

"IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE RULE STATES" Bahhahaha again Patriot fans repeat without reference to common sense.

Face mask penalty on Rogers-Cromartie: Made the right call. He grabbed big time.

That’s not a face mask... Hakim SB36 now that’s a face mask.

Roughing the QB on Arizona: Made the wrong call. That was a legal hit.

Says you!

Madden said ah uh well yea they are yea going to call.......subject changed. He was pretty clear on that one.

Running into the holder on FG attempt: Made the right call. He buried the guy.

He did not bury him he simply caused the holder to do a backward summersault.

Late hit on Harrison, post-possession: Obvious call, and correctly called as a post-possession foul.

He didn't have the ball so it was obviously a legal hit. Need to read the rule again.

Non-call on grounding by Roethlisberger: Correct call. He was outside the "tackle box."

Now don't you go changing our lingo just because Jolly John Madden decided to use the phrase "tackle box". It is the tackle box which defines the pocket except on those final drives of those superbowls where Brady is involved.

TD to Holmes: Correct call. His toes were clearly in with possession.

Yea but it still sucked that he caught it.

Fumble by Warner: Correct call. The ball was knocked from Warner's hand before he moved his arm forward and he merely pushed the ball forward as it fell.

Hey that call was close enough to where you could be biased toward Warner and still not insult the Refs. What's wrong with you anyway?

When the refs do a good job, they should be given credit.
    they prefer Fiat currency or copper slugs.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Hey ferter, do you think that Avenger really thinks they did a good job? I think not....he just wants other people to say it for him.
    No, I do think they did a good job. Part of the refs' job is to use the replay system to overrule incorrect calls. The fact that they did so is a good thing, and shows that they won't uphold a call merely to protect their collective ego.

I think this game had an unusual number of key plays that involved very close calls. The refs, with the help of replay, ended up on the right side of the vast majority of those calls.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

There were 18 penalties that were accepted. Is that to many? I've always been under the impression that the refs approach this game a little bit different than the regular season as far as the calls go. (SEE SUPERBOWL XXXVI!) As in let the boys play.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

On the final fumble (from an article found at Pro Football Weekly):

According to NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira, the replay official upstairs did see the play clearly.
    “We confirmed it was a fumble,” said Pereira. “The replay assistant in the replay booth saw it was clearly a fumble. The ball got knocked loose and was rolling in his hand before it started forward. He has to have total control.”

No, I do think they did a good job. Part of the refs' job is to use the replay system to overrule incorrect calls. The fact that they did so is a good thing, and shows that they won't uphold a call merely to protect their collective ego.

I think this game had an unusual number of key plays that involved very close calls. The refs, with the help of replay, ended up on the right side of the vast majority of those calls.
    They should use the replay system, but they should also try to make correct calls. I don't have a problem with plays being reviewed.

So just to be clear than, you thought that the amount of penalties called against the Cardinals seemed fair and normal to you in light of the number of penalties they called on the Steelers. And you think that the amount of penalties seemed consistant with other SuperBowls?

You only had a problem with the roughing the QB penalty. That was the only call or non-call that bothered you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coralram28 is offline Registered User

Angry Re: The Refs Did a Very Good Job in the Super Bowl

Just as an example, if Big Ben was truly roughed on the call in question, Warner was roughed 5 to 6 times in comparison (not called). Also as another example, on one of the sacks of Big Ben the sacker was held all the way to the point of the sack and thrown down after. The refs were ridiculous, only 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter did they start to "catch up" by calling the blatant stuff on the Steelers. Just silly......

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

According to NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira, the replay official upstairs did see the play clearly.
    “We confirmed it was a fumble,” said Pereira. “The replay assistant in the replay booth saw it was clearly a fumble. The ball got knocked loose and was rolling in his hand before it started forward. He has to have total control.”
    Of course they are going to say this after the fact. I can understand the ruling. It was close and I do see both sides to the argument. I don't really have a beef with them calling it a fumble. The problem I have is the lack of courtesy to the teams their fans and the huge TV audience. Why not pause the game and announce that it is being looked at? What is the harm in that? A coach can't challenge in the final 2 mins. Arizona had challenges left, and if they could have used them they certainly would have. Since the rules dictate that the booth has control in the final 2 mins then the booth needs to show that they are in control and in the process of making certain to get the call correct. They do that by contacting the referee on the field. The referee can then pause the game and make the announcement. As it played out they left everyone wondering. Not only is it rude to those involved they open to skepticism. Once again I don't consider that as doing a very good job.

Part of the refs' job is to use the replay system to overrule incorrect calls. The fact that they did so is a good thing, and shows that they won't uphold a call merely to protect their collective ego.
    Only when challenged and the head coach has to risk giving something up to challenge. It's not like they are going to get away with upholding a bad call over their ego. Too many eyes are watching. And besides, I'm not sure that I can recall any such occurance of denial over an officials ego with the replay system in place. When they get the initial call wrong and the head coach then has to risk something to get it correct, I would not call that as being a very good job by the officials.

I'm not saying that they did an absolutely terrible job, yet at the same time, I'm not going to say they did a very good job. I do agree that there were quite a few close calls to make and overall they got the majority correct.

However, they botched some biggies. And those botches prevent me from agreeing that they did a very good job.

They completely botched the opening non-TD by the steelers. Big ben did not get in. He was also aided by a teammate. There is a rule against helping the runner. It's a 10 yard penalty. The Refs completely missed this and it was blatantly obvious to almost everyone else that was watching. That alone was enough to overturn the TD, but instead, arizona had to challenge.

They got the First Warner non-fumble wrong and arizona had to challenge to get it corrected. Going ahead to the end of the game, since they botched this one, all the more reason to pause the game and announce they are looking at it.

And finally, they botched the personal foul on harrison. Striking an opponent with the fist is 15 yards and disqualification if flagrant. Could it have possibly been any more flagrant? I think not.

In the end I really don't give a damn except that, to me, it once again shows the inconsistency with officiating. It's all part of the game and generally it is something that just has to be overcome by the teams.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Shouldn't this thread be called "I think the refs did a very good job in the Super Bowl"????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Umm, isn't it what the refs get paid to do? Bone head play's or not, that is their job.

You may now report me to management, because I do take issue with how this game was reffed.

Oh, if I may ask Mr. I know just about everything,.......when can I expect my write up? I ask this serious question of you because I need to call my HR department. Should I just wait for the write up BRM?

Quote Originally Posted by RamMember View Post
    When I posted on this topic earlier it was all about ho, ho ha ha because I assumed that what avenger said overall was perfectly obvious. I kind of think of it like this. and I don't mean to yell but. DON'T YOU THINK GIVEN THE SLOPPY AND BONEHEADED MISTAKES MADE BY PLAYERS ON BOTH TEAMS WARRANT A COMPLETE AMNESTY FOR THE REFS? The players were making mistakes that pop warner coaches would throw fits over so it ain't about no refin this time. Oh OK you all were just kidding when you said the refs did a bad job. Those of you who are not kidding and think we should make an issue about the referring, I need to know where I should report you to. I am sure the management here will write you up or something. You can't just disagree with what this guy posted. For crying out loud I can see it.
    I think you are all going like having me around because I know just about everything.
    Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -02-04-2009 at 01:22 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I think it was a typical game with typical Refereeing.

It simply was a bigger game on the largest stage.

The players were just players, some stepped their game up, some forgot their manners... typical game.

Referees had the same decisions as just about any other game, (just how flagrant do I let the hold get before I am forced to call it, how much impact on the play did it have, etc...)

I don't know how Harrison could NOT have been tossed after shown beating the AZ player.... how does using the football as a prop not get a flag....

Typical missed calls and no calls but just like any other game in any other sport sometimes you have to beat the refs AND the opponents. Sunday Pittsburgh did.

Did the team I was rooting for win? NO

Did the better team win? Yes, probably so.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Typical missed calls and no calls but just like any other game in any other sport sometimes you have to beat the refs AND the opponents. Sunday Pittsburgh did.

Did the better team win? Yes, probably so.
    In the end, it is just another game with some inconsistent calls, but it is the biggest game of the season and you would hope the refs would not be the first thing that I would want to talk about after the game.

Personally I think the interception and run back for a TD at the end of the second half was the key to the game. If that was not thrown and they kicked the field goal instead, momentum would have gone to the Cardinals earlier and there would have been a 10 point swing. The fact that the cardinals could not stop that run was huge.

I think these two teams looked pretty close to me. Either team could have won.
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -02-04-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fixing spelling yet again :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

our division rivals lost the Superbowl,thats all i care about.

im sure when we lost out to the Pats..their fans were crying over how bad the refs were.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast