Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Reggie Bush = Overrated? CBS's Mike Freeman thinks so.

Bush is fast becoming 21st-century Mandarich
    By Mike Freeman
    CBSSports.com National Columnist
    Sep. 26, 2007

This is who running back Reggie Bush is starting to resemble. He's beginning to look a lot like Tony Mandarich.

You remember Mandarich. It was Mandarich who literally fooled the entire NFL industrial complex - coaches, general managers and the media. Everyone. In the months leading to the 1989 draft, stories of Mandarich's athletic prowess grew to almost legendary status. He was Paul Bunyan Mandarich. He could pancake a defensive lineman with one arm tied behind his back.

The legend of Mandarich grew so rapidly and suckered so many people it remains one of the great draft con jobs of all time. What Mandarich did was take a good college career - he was an All-American player at Michigan State, an Outland finalist and twice was the Big Ten lineman of the year - added some Guns N' Roses tatts, talked smack about how he could beat up Mike Tyson, acted like he loved the smell of Napalm in the morning and soon enough, people bought the tough guy act. He was right.

Sports Illustrated put Mandarich on its cover and actually wondered if he was the best offensive line draft prospect in history. Incredibly, Mandarich was selected by the Green Bay Packers ahead of players like Deion Sanders and Barry Sanders.

Mandarich is without question the most overrated draft prospect in the history of sports. And this is where Bush comes in. He's not so far behind Mandarich when it comes to creating a magnanimous image that isn't real. Not so far at all.

In fact, as I revise my list of the top 10 most overrated athletes of all time, not just draft selections, but all professional athletes, Bush is quickly advancing past the top five. My top 10 now goes something like this:

10. Vince Carter -- His terrible shooting makes him one dimensional.

9. Chris Webber -- Average NBA career but grand name recognition.

8. Jose Canseco -- Has had more of an impact on baseball post-career with his mouth than he ever did with his bat.

7. John Daly -- Could easily be top three.

6. Bo Jackson -- Both overrated and underrated. Overrated because his career was so short; underrated because he is one of the best athletes sports has ever witnessed.

5. Reggie Bush -- This from former Denver offensive lineman and current analyst Mark Schlereth: "You look at Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush doesn't know how to run between the tackles right now. He's a guy that's an edge runner. He's a guy that right now is not fulfilling his part of this offense."

4. Joe Namath -- 220 interceptions, one championship and a lot of horrible seasons.

3. Michael Vick -- Good player but career shortened due to stupidity.

2. Mike Tyson -- Devastating puncher and one trick fighter.

1. David Beckham -- No one, but no one, comes even close.

(A quick top 10 most underrated ever: Marion Motley, Artis Gilmore, Justine Henin, Bo Jackson, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Olympic star Rafer Johnson, Donovan McNabb -- maybe the most under-appreciated player in NFL history -- Don Hutson, Jim Rice and Lenny Moore.)

The problem with Bush is that his impact on a game is extremely minimal as compared to the media hype and endorsement frenzy. I may be sick of seeing Peyton Manning's mug on television more than Larry King's but Manning is one of the top five most pivotal players in football.

Defensive coordinators have told me this season that Bush may be seen as a superstar to the general public but he is not someone who keeps them awake at night. They say he's not as fast as he looks, can be covered by a linebacker one-on-one and gets shy around contact. That last description is not exactly what you want to hear about your franchise runner.

Now we will get to see just how good Bush is and if he is worth the hype. With the loss of the Saints' real running back, Deuce McAllister, to a torn knee ligament, the team will rely heavily on Bush.

I can tell you everyone in football is watching what happens next not with the Saints but with Bush.

If Bush is so good, as his P.R. machine wants everyone to believe, he'll use McAllister's absence to prove me and his critics wrong and take the Saints on his back.

But I don't think Bush will prove anyone wrong because Bush has pulled a Mandarich on the Saints and the NFL by bamboozling many normally smart guys who should know better. His USC hype and Denzel looks overpowered the Saints' common sense. Now, they're paying the price for utilizing such a high pick on a guy who is basically Dave Meggett.

Do you remember how people were actually comparing Bush to Gale Sayers?

Bush = Gale Sayers. That's just insane in the membrane.

Bill Parcells called Bush a "satellite player." (Leave it to Bill "Gandolfini" Parcells to come up with some smart-ass Jersey lexicon.) Parcells went on to explain the phrase satellite player by stating Bush plays in space. Great. Now Bush is Reggie Sputnik.

The coming days and months will get interesting for Bush and the Saints. He was last year's golden dude but this season he is receiving much more scrutiny and even criticism. Bush in 2006 enjoyed a post-Katrina boost from the league, the media and fans with all three overlooking Bush's on-field shortcomings because of his charitable contributions and the team's special circumstances.

Now that the Saints are 0-3 and their best player is gone for the year, that once-present glow has thinned and reality has hit.

And the reality is that Bush is not so far off from being the 21st century version of Mandarich, the greatest draft huckster ever.

So good luck with Bush, New Orleans.

Is it too late for the Saints to draft a running back?

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Re: Reggie Bush = Overrated? CBS's Mike Freeman thinks so.

He's been overrated since he was a draft prospect. Maybe overhyped would be a better word, I use them interchangeably, though. Take a look back into the past. Fans and media "experts" alike had practically sculpted a bronze bust for Bush and shipped it off to Canton. "He reminds me of Marshall Faulk or Barry Sanders!" "Best draft prospect in years!" "Think about how many Super Bowls you'd win with Reggie Bush!"

People blasted Mike Nolan and the ***** for not tanking the last two games of 2005. Why? Because he lost out on Reggie Bush! Then the Texans actually passed over Reggie Bush in favor of Mario Williams. The fools! They missed out on a once in a generation player! Which was lucky for him because Dom Davis ended up on IR not much later. Had Bush ended up with the Texans, he would have been exposed almost immediately. However unfair it might've been, people would've started throwing the "B word" (bust) around when talking about Bush. No, Bush was fortunate enough to land with the Saints.

In landing with the Saints, Bush was in a place where he someone else would carry the load, despite the insistence of some that he would immediately send McAllister to the bench. This worked out great for Bush, as being a complementary player allowed him to minimize the number of negative plays in which he was involved while giving him a chance to make the kinds of plays that end up on highlight reels. And as a complementary player, he set the record for receptions by a rookie RB. This record, along with the highlight reel plays, was celebrated by many. But to give you an idea how significant or meaningful that record really is, look at the previous record holder. The record was previously held by ***** first round draft choice and bust, Earl Cooper. After being ineffective at RB, Cooper was moved to TE. He played for seven years and during his last year, which was with the Raiders, he didn't touch the ball once. In other words, the rookie RB receptions record is much ado about nothing.

With the Saints struggling this year, Bush isn't making as many highlight reel plays while the negative plays add up. The hype machine is losing steam and people are starting to see the real Reggie Bush (a good receiver out of the backfield who doesn't run very well between the tackles). Others still cling to the hype.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

One thing is for sure, with McCallister out, if Bush doesn't put up huge numbers the charade will be over.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

most definitely overrated he fits more on dancing with the stars than in the Nfl because that is how he runs.

Milan is offline Registered User

That was a terrible Top 10 but I called him being a bust long before the draft.

Vince Carter? Bo Jackson? MIKE TYSON?? Arguably the best heavyweight ever.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So what everyone is saying is that the Houston Texans did the right thing drafting the Defensive End instead of Reggie Bush?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ahh, music to my ears.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

David Beckham? Im not a fan of him as a person, and because he played for a rival team to the one i support, but to say he is the most overrated player of all time is ridiculous.

He hasnt done anything for Galaxy due to his injury. But for Man Utd and England he has put in some sensational performances, and in his last season at Real Madrid he pretty much single handedly won them the title.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I can't say that the rest of that top 10 list gives this guy a whole lot of credibility. That said, Bush certainly has not lived up to the hype yet. I was skeptical even before the draft because of his size, but I do think he deserves the same learning curve you'd expect for any other rookie before I pass judgement on whether he ranks anywhere near the top of a list like that.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

the strange thing is, if he had gone to the Texans he would probably be playing better then he is now because he would have had more playing time in his first year.

At the moment he is limited in what he can do because he hasnt had to do much else but return kicks, run to the outside and catch passes on screens

tom33 is offline Registered User

I have always thought of him as a Warrick Dunn type with his perimeter running style.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Bonnie Blair is the most underated athelete of all time. I think al oerter goes on that list as well. 4 olympic golds over a 16 year period? You have to be kidding me. Bonnie Blair is as dominant an athlete as this country has ever produced.

The A Train was truly a great player, but he was also lazy and a cocaine user (i personally witnessed that in chicago). He was a lot less underated than robert parish, joe dumars, or the most underated player of that era, mo cheeks.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

DualHazzarD is offline Registered User

Reggie Bush is definetly overated, on Madden 08, and in the real NFL. He is said to be the "play maker", the guys whose suppose to break lose every other time the team has the ball, and make a big play. But i never heard anything of him any more, besides him being overated, I agree, he is overated, and isnt playing like he should be. I think if he was put with a good team, maybe the patriots, he would be berzerk, he just needs a team that can lead him, make holes, hold the blocks.

general counsel is offline Registered User

And to think that people called this guy as better than marshall faulk. what a joke.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

DualHazzarD is offline Registered User

Faulk has the speed of Reggie Bush, and the Power of Jerome Bettis, and the moves of L.T. Faulk was a playmaker, and I think he was underated. Bush is nothing compared to Faulk.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-27-2008, 07:24 PM