Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Reid gives Owens a reprieve

Reid gives Owens a reprieve
    Tuesday, October 26, 2004
    Coach takes lighter view of celebration
    By CHUCK GORMLEY
    Courier-Post Staff
    PHILADELPHIA

Terrell Owens has been given a reprieve, for now.

Following the Eagles' 34-31 overtime victory against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, Eagles coach Andy Reid said he was not particularly thrilled with his most demonstrative wide receiver following his second touchdown catch of the afternoon.

After that catch, his eighth touchdown reception of the season, Owens tore down an end zone banner that pictured Owens and a rat with the message: "It Takes One To Know One."

The Eagles were assessed a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play and Reid had a few words with Owens on the sideline.

Reid admitted Monday he did not see Owens tear down the sign, then softened his stance on the outspoken wideout.

"He's an emotional guy and he loves to play the game," Reid said. "I love that part of him. I think players feed off that. He's just got to be careful on what he does. I didn't see him rip down the sign. I've seen it since (on TV) but, heck, that wasn't a very good sign anyway."

Owens celebrated his first touchdown catch of the day by throwing the football at another sign directed at him by the Cleveland fans: "T.O. has B.O."

"Those are nothing compared to the ones hung here at the Vet when I first started," Reid said. "That was a mild one."

Mild was no way to describe Sunday's finish.

After winning their first five games of the season by double digits, the Eagles needed a 50-yarder by kicker David Akers to pull out Sunday's win, their first overtime victory since they beat the Steelers 26-23 on Nov. 12, 2000. Prior to Sunday, they had lost their last three overtime games.

"You're going to have highs and you're going to have lows," Reid said. "We can all be excited during the highs, but those lows, they test you. They make you stronger. I was glad we hung together and did some good thing. I haven't seen that side of this team. I liked what I saw."

Unbeaten and unwavered: It's been 23 years since the Eagles last started a season 6-0. But just because they and the New England Patriots are the only teams unbeaten in the NFL, you won't find Reid strutting around like Mick Jagger.

"As a coach, you've got to set that tempo," Reid said. "If you change during winning periods and walk around with your chest out, I think players will follow you. If you're matter-of-fact and keep it business as usual the players are going to follow that, too."

This and that: En route to completing 28 of 43 passes for 376 yards and four touchdowns Sunday, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb found 10 different receivers. . . . Reid would not elaborate on Brian Dawkins' roughing the passer penalty that led to the Browns' game-tying touchdown in the fourth quarter. "I'm not going to sit here and judge the officials," he said. "They did what they thought they had to do. I don't always agree with them. But I'm not going to comment on them." . . . Reid said he thought his team's defense was "out of whack" in the first half but made enough coverage adjustments in the second half to hold the Browns to two scores. . . . The Eagles' 62 points in the first quarter this season is the highest total in the NFL. . . . Next up for the Eagles are the 4-2 Baltimore Ravens, who are coming off Sunday's 20-6 win over the Buffalo Bills. The Ravens have allowed just 85 points in six games, the lowest total in the NFL. "They're a good football team," Reid said. "Their defense has a great leader in Ray Lewis and a great coaching staff. They play emotional football." The Eagles and Ravens have faced each other just once before, in 1997, and that game ended in a 10-10 tie.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Reid gives Owens a reprieve

Way to discipline Andy Reid. Don't worry. He'll be destroying your team in no time.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

hehe....well well TO. The antics continue. Reid is not going to be able to keep him in line. :redface:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I love 99% of football. But TO seems to live in that other 1%. I can't stand to see players take their head out of the game and put it in the stands (ie. end-zone cell phones, sock sharpies, ripping signs). I guess celebrating with the home team I can understand, but the rest of that nonsense gets under my skin.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But TO seems to live in that other 1%. I can't stand to see players take their head out of the game and put it in the stands (ie. end-zone cell phones, sock sharpies, ripping signs). I guess celebrating with the home team I can understand, but the rest of that nonsense gets under my skin.
    I guess I don't really surprise myself when I hear myself say I don't care what the players do in that sense. Is most of the nonsense silly? Sure. It's an entertainment business though, not war where discipline might be rigidly needed. Their antics are harmless for the most part.

But if they think they can disrespect other players with impunity, then let the players police themselves. Did Tony Williams deserve to be cut block like he was? Maybe not. But then again maybe so. Those are the antics that need taken care of, not mocking a sign.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Does T.O., in fact, have B.O. If so, how sad for him, and his teammates. Of course, it could help him get open.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    I guess I don't really surprise myself when I hear myself say I don't care what the players do in that sense. Is most of the nonsense silly? Sure. It's an entertainment business though, not war where discipline might be rigidly needed. Their antics are harmless for the most part.

But if they think they can disrespect other players with impunity, then let the players police themselves. Did Tony Williams deserve to be cut block like he was? Maybe not. But then again maybe so. Those are the antics that need taken care of, not mocking a sign.
    Yea, I know what you're saying Adarian, and you're right, most of that stuff is just harmless nonsense. But I guess the way I see it, if a player has enough focus to pull some of these stunts then they better have the focus to not make a single mental mistake on the field. I suppose that's the part that really burns me. One of these guys pulls some nonsense and then later in the same game makes some bonehead move that costs their team yards and/or points. That's the unprofessional part and that's what I can't stand.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But I guess the way I see it, if a player has enough focus to pull some of these stunts then they better have the focus to not make a single mental mistake on the field. I suppose that's the part that really burns me. One of these guys pulls some nonsense and then later in the same game makes some bonehead move that costs their team yards and/or points. That's the unprofessional part and that's what I can't stand.
    Well, didn't you have it all this past weekend. The Texan bobbled the ball out the endzone before he had crossed the goalline. Definitely boneheaded. What should the penalty be though? On the other hand, Owens parodied Lewis's antics pretty well I thought. Lewis shouldn't feel too bad since he "got such a good deal on his car insurance".

As long as TO goes over the middle for the bad passes, he can mock all he wants on the good ones. Now if he would just work on keeping his brain engaged while his mouth is running, I'd consider giving him a pay raise.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Well, didn't you have it all this past weekend. The Texan bobbled the ball out the endzone before he had crossed the goalline. Definitely boneheaded. What should the penalty be though? On the other hand, Owens parodied Lewis's antics pretty well I thought. Lewis shouldn't feel too bad since he "got such a good deal on his car insurance".

As long as TO goes over the middle for the bad passes, he can mock all he wants on the good ones. Now if he would just work on keeping his brain engaged while his mouth is running, I'd consider giving him a pay raise.
    Now we truly could make this into a soap opera with advertising appeal. Did you notice Plaxico Burress catching a bomb from Roethschild? He was on his way to paydirt and decided to carry the ball in his palm. Only problem was when he swung his arm to maintain momentum he brushed the ball against his leg and fumbled the ball out of bounds. Pittsburgh never did get the 28th point in that game. Another pre-endzone celebration blew up in someone's face.

At the same time, I wonder where TO got the idea that yelling in McNabb's ear was motivational? I still think his problem is getting his brain engaged before putting his mouth in drive. Security guards can take down Fan's signs that are unflattering to management all throughout the league, but TO gets penalized? Just more NFL contradictions and hypocrisy that are brushed aside.

TO knows he is a marked man now and is still going over the middle and still fighting to stay on his feet and take another hit. Sure would like to see that effort from the Rams receivers (Bruce was fighting earlier in the year but after he performed his antics after Seattle he has chosen to start diving at CB's feet instead of their chest and well Holt's antics in pink tutus tells me more than what I want to know about Terry the-Missing-Big-Game Holt at the moment).

So TO, get on with your bad self. Remember though TO, on most bikes it is one down and four up. Get in gear first.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Did you notice Plaxico Burress catching a bomb from Roethschild
    Is the former producer of the Doors a QB in the NFL?

Or was that Rothchild?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Yes, Dude
    Is the former producer of the Doors a QB in the NFL?

Or was that Rothchild?
    Are you questioning whether Roethlisberger could be confused with one of those wimpy french whine producers? Or are you questioning whether "strange days have found us?" Whether "strange days have tracked us down?"