Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Report: Bounty Player Suspensions Overturned

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Report: Bounty Player Suspensions Overturned

Sources: Bounty bans overturned
    Updated: September 7, 2012, 3:48 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services
    Suspensions for four players connected to the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal have been overturned by a three-man arbitration panel, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
    The ruling should clear Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove to start the season.
    "Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin," Vilma tweeted Friday afternoon.
    This is not going to look good for the Commish.

Could it impact the suspensions issued to the coaches?

Stay tuned.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Bounty Player Suspensions Overturned

It will not impact the suspensions of the coaches. Unless I am wrong, the coaches are not subject to the CBA, and the arbitration panel only has jurisdiction to rule on matters related to the CBA.

I am curious to know what the panel based its decision on. Whether it be that Goodell abused his authority, did not follow proper procedures, or that it was on-the-field conduct that he could not rule on.

In any case, I don't care about the end result of suspended or not suspended, it doesn't affect me as a Rams fan. All I care about is that the process was decided by the CBA, and not by Judge Berrigan in Federal Court, who IMO lacked jurisdiction, but seemed to be trying to find a way to rule in favor of the players anyway. Judges far too often in sports cases hang on to them when they shouldn't and make absurd rulings to get the results they want.

"Consistent with the panel's decision, commissioner Goodell will, as directed, make an expedited determination of the discipline imposed for violating the league's pay-for-performance/bounty rule. Until that determination is made, the four players are reinstated and eligible to play starting this weekend," the NFL said in a statement.
    From that statement I gleam that maybe the panel simply over-turned the suspensions as too harsh, and not anything else. I am quite curious now as to what the panel decided.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    It will not impact the suspensions of the coaches. Unless I am wrong, the coaches are not subject to the CBA, and the arbitration panel only has jurisdiction to rule on matters related to the CBA.

I am curious to know what the panel based its decision on. Whether it be that Goodell abused his authority, did not follow proper procedures, or that it was on-the-field conduct that he could not rule on.

In any case, I don't care about the end result of suspended or not suspended, it doesn't affect me as a Rams fan. All I care about is that the process was decided by the CBA, and not by Judge Berrigan in Federal Court, who IMO lacked jurisdiction, but seemed to be trying to find a way to rule in favor of the players anyway. Judges far too often in sports cases hang on to them when they shouldn't and make absurd rulings to get the results they want.
    Procedurally and jurisdictionally, the coaches cannot be impacted. However, if there are findings of fact that suggest that the league lacked evidence, the coaches could try to use that in their favor should they attempt to challenge their suspensions.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Procedurally and jurisdictionally, the coaches cannot be impacted. However, if there are findings of fact that suggest that the league lacked evidence, the coaches could try to use that in their favor should they attempt to challenge their suspensions.
    My understanding is that the NFL has established at the least a pay for performance program, which is not allowed under its rules. As such, it would seem the main thing the coaches could challenge would be the severity of their penalites, not the existance of a program. However, I'm not an employment law expert by any means, so I will defer to the experts in that regard.

I would however question the weight the Court would give to the panel's findings. This isn't an agency decision to which the Court owes deference.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    My understanding is that the NFL has established at the least a pay for performance program, which is not allowed under its rules. As such, it would seem the main thing the coaches could challenge would be the severity of their penalites, not the existance of a program. However, I'm not an employment law expert by any means, so I will defer to the experts in that regard.

I would however question the weight the Court would give to the panel's findings. This isn't an agency decision to which the Court owes deference.
    It comes down to a number of documents which I have not seen, including the coaches' contracts with their teams, and any agreements that exist with the league.

As for the panel's findings, while no court would be bound by them, they could work as a blueprint for resolving any future factual disputes.

The one guy I don't think will be helped by this at all is Gregg Williams. My understanding is that he basically admitted guilt.

Well as it turns out, the panel did not rule on the evidence, but rather that Goodell did not have the authority to rule on payment from performance pools. He would, however, have the authority to discipline should he prove the players acted with intent to injure, which would be conduct detrimental to the game.

So although the players are celebrating today, the war is not over.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Drew Brees ‏@drewbrees

Congratulations to our players and the Saints organization. A 3 judge panel UNANIMOUSLY overturned the bounty suspensions for players.
    Enough already, Drew your team was way over the line, stop acting like you guys got framed.
    berg8309 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Enough already, Drew your team was way over the line, stop acting like you guys got framed.
    I agree. The amount of chest beating by the players is ridiculous. Were the suspensions too harsh? Perhaps. Is some punishment warranted? Yep.

I can't help but note that Vilma's comments about meeting with Goodell read more like "I fully expect to Goodell to cave to every single one of my demands,and the meeting will be conducted as I dictate because I am the one in charge here"