Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Report: Ex-NFL S Darren Sharper arrested on suspicion of rape

Report: Ex-NFL S Darren Sharper arrested on suspicion of rape
    By John Breech | CBSSports.com
    January 18, 2014 11:53 am ET

Former NFL safety Darren Sharper was arrested on Friday and charged with sexual assault, according to TMZ.com. The Los Angeles County Sheriff Department's website confirms that Sharper was taken into custody at 3 p.m. PT on Friday. The 38-year-old was released from jail on a $200,000 bond just before midnight.

According to TMZ, Sharper has been linked to two sexual assaults over the past three months. The alleged assaults happened in October 2013 and January 2014. Sharper's first court date is scheduled for Feb. 14.

Sharper was working as an analyst for NFL Network before the arrest.

"Darren has been suspended without pay until further notice, effective immediately," the NFL Network said in a statement to ProFootballTalk.com. "Regarding the charges, as a matter of policy, we don't comment on pending legal action."

Sharper spent 14 seasons in the NFL, playing with the Packers, Vikings and Saints. The five-time Pro Bowl selection was a second-round pick of the Packers in the 1997 NFL Draft and won a Super Bowl with the Saints in 2009-10.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Re: Report: Ex-NFL S Darren Sharper arrested on suspicion of rape

i'll find another source besides TMZ

-after checking, many articles almost say the exactly same thing

not cool, what was he thinking?

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Allegations of Steven Jackson involved in domestic violence against his ex also came from TMZ in 2009, nothing to see here until evidence is proven.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Allegations of Steven Jackson involved in domestic violence against his ex also came from TMZ in 2009, nothing to see here until evidence is proven.
    I agree with FR, until there is a guilty verdict, I tend to think someone is digging for gold.

gap

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

WOW! That's all I can say is WOW!!!!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Prosecutors: Darren Sharper drugged, raped two women
    Brent Schrotenboer and Mike Perlstein, USA TODAY Sports 3:55 p.m. EST February 14, 2014
    2-14-14-sharper

Former NFL player Darren Sharper has been charged with drugging and raping two women in California and also is suspected of doing the same to other women in Arizona, Nevada and Louisiana, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney's office.

Sharper, once a star safety with the New Orleans Saints, is suspected of raping a total of seven women in four states, all after offering them shots laced with drugs, according to a Los Angeles police officer investigating the case.

So far he faces criminal charges only in Los Angeles two counts of rape by use of drugs, four counts of furnishing illegal drugs and one count of illegal drug possession, all felonies. The drugs allegedly involved were zolpidem, a sedative, and morphine, a narcotic painkiller both delivered by shot glass in separate incidents on Oct. 30 and Jan. 14.

Sharper's attorney couldn't be reached for comment. Sharper, 38, was arrested by Los Angeles police on Jan. 17 and released on $200,000 bond. If convicted, he faces more than 30 years in state prison.

The district attorney said it wants to raise his bail to $10 million because Sharper also is suspected of raping women in New Orleans, Tempe, Ariz., and Las Vegas since September.

His arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 20.?

The district attorney alleges that Sharper met two women at a nightclub in West Hollywood on Oct. 30 and invited them to another party. On the way, Sharper invited them up to his hotel room and gave each woman a shot glass. Each woman passed out.

One of the women "woke up naked hours later with Sharper sexually assaulting her," the district attorney said in a statement. "The second woman allegedly woke up and interrupted his actions, according to the district attorney.

On Jan. 14, Sharper met two other women at the same West Hollywood nightclub and invited them to a party. He then invited them up to his room again and offered them a shot. Both passed out, and when they woke up hours later on Jan. 15, one woman believed she had been sexually assaulted, according to the district attorney. Both left the hotel and sought medical treatment.

The 38-year-old Sharper spent 14 years in the NFL. He played for three teams, the Green Bay Packers, the Minnesota Vikings and the New Orleans Saints. He was a five-time Pro-Bowl selection and was on the Saints' Super Bowl championship team in 2009. Following his second year with the Saints in 2010, Sharper announced his retirement.

Sharper, who lives in Miami, Fla., had been working as a consultant for the NFL Network, which suspended him indefinitely without pay after his arrest.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I usually hold off till all the facts are in and a judge and jury have had their say. But WT(freak), if true this is sickening...I can think of a lot worst punishments then jail--for an ego like his, it would be to take every cent he has and THEN a super max.

Still I am left with WHY? Money, looks, personality, and fame, even if he couldn't find anything but shallow relationships and women of poor standing, there was no need for something like that. There would have to be some serious messed up wiring in his head--if this story is true

punahou is online now Registered User

Now I know this may not be the politically correct response or opinion....

Pro athletes-
    and even more so

All Star Pro Athletes who are on national TV, will always get my benefit of the doubt in situations like this.

These guys dont have to 'work' to get members of the opposite sex to be intimately interested in them. The situation is reveresed for these people, as they have other people soliciting them.

It just boggles my mind that someone like this would force himself on a woman., when many other women would willingly do so.

This smacks of 'stings attached' sex, where someone wants something in return and didnt get it. Thats the grey area that may or may not be revealed-- sorry to say.