jdpbmo is offline Registered User

Thumbs down reviewing calls from the booth

Okay, enough is enough. I can usually sit by and hold my piece, but I am so tired of this idiotic process the NFL uses to review calls. It isn't that I'm against the reviewing of questionable calls. I am 100 % for it. I want the call to be right. A noncall or wrong call shouldn't cost a team the game. It all came to a head in the Detroit/GB game when they didn't bother reviewing the touchdown late in the game. How crazy was that? If I was in charge of that part of the game, there would be some people looking for work tomorrow. My main problem with the process is that you are asking officials that make a call, or maybe don't make a call, to reverse their own decision. You are asking them to second-guess themselves or perhaps members of their crew. Now we can sit there and say "well, so what if they have to reverse a call to get it right". Hey, news flash, these officials have egos. They don't want to come out and say "sorry everyone, we just blew that last call". So they look at the replay to satisfy us, then come back and say "indisputable evidence to reverse the call on the field". That's a load of crap. There have been plenty of calls that they show that need to be reversed, but until you get a seperate crew of 2 or 3 people in the booth who do nothing but review a call when it's challenged, you will continue to see this craziness happen. Why wouldn't you have people not associated with the officiating crew reveiwing these calls? If you did, you would find a number of calls overturned when it's obvious they are wrong. You would find calls that are legitimate standing as good calls. People would be satisfied for the most part. Except for the Z E B R A S. They will find they are making a call or two incorrectly in important situations. But you know what else you are doing? You are taking some responsibility from them. What does everyone think? jd

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    JD, the WR's foot foot for the Lions hit the pylon before the catch. Only call was out of bounds. I have to agree with the officials on this one. I guess I am taking the Mike Tirico point of view from the commercial on this one. The instant replay option we now have is much better than none.

replay

So is it out when the pylon is hit? If that's out, you and the officials were right. If not, both feet came down in bounds. My whole point is that they should have people not affiliated with the officiating crew making calls from the booth.

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    If your foot hits the pylon, technically you are out of bounds. However, now that I think of it, that little piece of the rules has been a gray area for years.

Hey, Matt Millen has some moves in the booth. Did you see him jumping up and down for the replay? Hilarious.

questionable calls

Don't you get sick and tired of the calls that should be overturned and aren't? It's amazing the system that the NFL has in place for these events. I think they need to look at the procedures they have in place because there's nothing worse than a bad call that is reviewed and upheld. I hate it. jd