Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Ricky Williams faces one-year suspension after fourth failed drug test

Dolphins' Williams tests positive for drug use
    BY JASON COLE
    jcole@MiamiHerald.com

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams faces at least a one-year suspension from the NFL after testing positive for drug use a fourth time under the league's substance abuse policy.

Two sources confirmed a report by WSVN-TV that Williams had failed the test, although neither would say the substance Williams used. On three previous occasions, Williams had tested positive for using marijuana.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined to comment Sunday night.

''Because of the confidential nature of the league's substance abuse policy, we can't comment on any aspect of that program,'' Greene said.

Williams returned to the NFL this season after retiring for the 2004 season. He missed the first four games of the season and was fined an additional four weeks of salary from the second and third violations of the substance abuse program.

Those positive tests had occurred in December 2003 and in the 2004 offseason. Williams returned to have a productive season.

Williams has spent much of the offseason in Northern California studying yoga and holistic medicine.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Ricky Williams faces one-year suspension after fourth failed drug test

What a moron. He says he is going clean and all that. What a moron. Ban him from the NFL for his career.
    RamsFan16

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

wow...unbelievable...how dumb can you get? i agree with RF16. They should just ban him forever.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

hes done,get'em out of here.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'll refrain from posting my lengthy thoughts on what I think of Williams at this point(as I laid into him already on a different board) but I was thinking, who would you consider worse at this point: Ryan Leaf or Ricky Williams? If you think about it, as much of a clod that Ryan Leaf was, it wasn't anything that he could control. Mental and emotional limitations are what they are. Ricky has chosen to throw it all away. For pot! It's not even an addictive drug is it? Lay off the weed for 2-5 years while you're in the NFL and then smoke your brains out when you're retired for good. Idiot, idiot, idiot.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Williams has spent much of the offseason in Northern California studying yoga and holistic medicine.
    Hope he's good at the holistic medicine thing 'cause he'll probably need it as a new career.

I don't know who's more stupid, Williams or the Dolphins. If this turns out to be a violation, is it possible that any team would take another chance on him??

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Hope he's good at the holistic medicine thing 'cause he'll probably need it as a new career.

I don't know who's more stupid, Williams or the Dolphins. If this turns out to be a violation, is it possible that any team would take another chance on him??
    I"m pretty sure if a guy gets caught with Pot that he won't get a medical job especially at a hospital.
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

This is a shame. He's such a talented back. It makes me think, how good could he have been if he hadnt let this stuff take control of his life?
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Um, I don't think they practice much holistic medicine at traditional hospitals, but I could be wrong.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Um, I don't think they practice much holistic medicine at traditional hospitals, but I could be wrong.
    I don't think even Billy Graham could practice hoilistic medicine at a traditional hospital.

Ricky Williams on the other hand would be welcome at any holistic medical facility with his vast knowledge of "herbal" therapy.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i support 100% ricky williams' decision to do whatever he wants with his life as long as he is prepared to live with the consequences. No allegations that the dolphins, the league or anyone else owes him money, that he has been treated unfairly or discrimated against. This is very simple. He signed a contract, he breached it and he should be liable for damages.

There is no basis for the nfl delivering an anti drug message to young people with a straight face if they are going to allow this guy back into the league. enough is enough and i will find it incredible (although sadly, not entirely surprising) if the players association defends him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Welker83 is offline Registered User

Ricky didn't fail a drug test...mainly cause he couldn't take one casue he's in india , and has been for the last month. Updated reports say he missed a test, not failed one.

ALSO it is un-confirmed as of now. Check out NFL.Com...not a peep about ricky. This makes you wonder since they would have to have a story about it if it has a base.

Additionally it has to go an Apeal process.

And Ricky is a different person. HE DOES NOT SMOKE WEED ANYMORE. As a Holistic healer pot is seen as a poison and is not allowed to be introduced to his body. He is currently in a temple studying Yoga.

Want some proof...Please read this article:
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...dolphins-front

He succesfully passed over 90 tests this year. And is even subject to up to 10 tests a month during the off-season. He must report with-in 4 hours or he gets a failed result. As india is a little further than 4 hours away it is impossible not to fail.

The NFL kinda makes you a prisoner...
    Last edited by Welker83; -02-20-2006 at 10:43 AM.
    And it looked like such a good day...

Thanks for that update welker, that is an interesting view. I would say this, the nfl didnt make ricky a prisoner, ricky made himself a prisoner with the prior failed tests.

As for visiting india, i dont care if he is visiting the north pole. He agreed to be subject to testing within a certain time frame. If he visits someplace that puts him outside that time frame for testing, he puts himself at risk. I dont care if he passed 90 tests, so what? Does that mean the league and the team should trust him. Why should he be given the benefit of the doubt given the multiple tests he had already failed.

Furthermore, while i appreciate that your point that as a holistic healer, pot isnt allowed into your system. I would point out that as a professional football player who signed a contract prohibiting him from violating the league substance abuse policy and the collective bargaining agreement, it was also not allowed into his system and it didnt seem to bother him then. This is a guy who makes his own rules as he goes, so forgive me if i view with skepticism his newfound status as a holistic healer.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -02-20-2006 at 10:54 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I will remind anyone who might be inclined to express the notion that "Ricky can do what he wants with his life" that he has children.

AV, whether he has children or not, i think that he can still do whatever he wants with his life, as long as he is prepared to deal with the consequences. Granted, having children certainly increases the consequences of certain actions, but i think that the point is still the same. In the context of children, it really just makes his behavior that much more irresponsible.

So what if he just "missed" a test. I just dont get the distinction. The point is that there is a policy and he is subject to that policy. The policy says you cant miss a test. It doesnt say you can travel wherever you want and potentially be out of timing range for a test. He violated the policy, whether he smoked weed or not, he still shows no responsibility for his own behavior and is not entitled to the benefit of any doubt in my view. It is irresponsible behavior and i dont see how anyone can defend that. he could have gone to the league and told them he would be in india and asked for some sort of exemption, but of course, he appararntly didnt do that.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast