Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: Robert Mathis suspended 4 games

Rambos is offline Registered User

Robert Mathis suspended 4 games

Please send Quinn his Deacon Jones Award

ESPN.com news services

Linebacker Robert Mathis has been suspended without pay for the Indianapolis Colts' first four games of the 2014 regular season for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Mathis will be eligible to return to the Colts' active roster on Monday, Sept. 29, following the team's Sept. 28 game against the Tennessee Titans.

[+] EnlargeRobert Mathis
    Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesIndianapolis linebacker Robert Mathis has been suspended for the Colts' first four games of the 2014 regular season for violating the NFL policy on PEDs.

He released a statement detailing his explanation for the positive test:

"It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double-check before I took the medication at the end of last season.

"The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union.

"The incredible blessing of this very upsetting situation is that, after I took the medication very briefly at the end of last season, we learned that my wife is expecting a baby. We are thrilled that we will be welcoming a new member in several months, but I apologize to my teammates, coaches and Colts fans that I will not be able to contribute to my team for the first four weeks of the 2014 season. I will work extremely hard during that time to stay in top football shape and will be prepared to contribute immediately upon my return."

Hard to Replace

Robert Mathis led the NFL in sacks and forced fumbles last season. In fact, he nearly outproduced the rest of the Colts in those areas.
    Category Mathis Colts
    Sacks 19.5 22.5
    Forced Fumbles 8 8
    ESPN Stats & Information

Denise White, Mathis' spokesperson, said the player's mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 esophogal cancer last August. To help give her another grandchild, Mathis began consulting a physician, Steven Morganstern in Atlanta, about fertility drugs. His wife, Brandi, was unable to take them due to a health situation, so the doctor recommended Mathis taking Clomid to speed up the process.

He began taking Clomid last November and stopped taking it after he found out his wife was pregnant. Mathis was notified this year that he violated the league's substance policy. He had appealed the decision and lost. His wife is pregnant with a girl and is due this fall.

Mathis' mother still is alive.

"We have learned that Robert Mathis will be required to serve a four-game suspension under the league's policy on prohibited substances," a statement from the Colts read. "We recognize the extreme seriousness of this matter and will honor the confidentiality requirements of the league's program. We nevertheless wish to assure Robert and our fans that he remains an honored and cherished member of the Colts family and that we support him as he deals with this difficult challenge."

Losing Mathis is a substantial blow to the Colts' defense. He had 19.5 sacks last season, and Indianapolis will miss his presence because its first two games in 2014 are at Denver, which led the league in scoring this past season, and against Philadelphia.

He remains eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Robert Mathis suspended 4 games

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Please send Quinn his Deacon Jones Award.
    Exactly. He took a substance that the NFL designates as "performance enhancing" at the end of the season, gets several sacks, and wins the Deacon Jones Award. IMO, it makes no difference why he was taking it, he was taking it. And did he really think his doctor was the right guy to ask about whether or not the medication he was taking was banned by the NFL? Really? They should absolutely send Quinn his Deacon Jones Award.
    Rambos likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Pretty sure Clomid is what my sister took to promote egg production when she was trying for a baby some time ago.If RM's doctor prescribed it to HIM, that quack needs more re-education than just a list of NFL banned chemicals....
    Since Mathis has been in the NFL for a decade, I think he more than deserved the suspension, even if the Clmid thing is just garbled reporting. Ignorance of the protocol as a vet is inexcusable, unlike Bailey's screw-up.
    Would be nice if they took away that award but somehow I doubt the NFL will do it.

Mikey is offline Registered User

There are a couple important points to make here.
    *For one, it's no surprise the NFL would be wary of making exceptions to its PEDs policy. Any such action could undermine further efforts to enforce the policy by setting a precedent that might give future offenders legal standing to fight their own violations.

*Regarding the point about Clomid lacking government approval for infertility treatment in males (it's commonly used by women), the league is correct on that point. However, the substance is widely used by males as some believe there is a tangible benefit. Mathis claims it helped he and his wife conceive a baby girl, who is due later this year. While Mathis still made a costly mistake in not verifying his ability to use the substance, it's still plausible that he was using it in the way he claimed (as opposed to using it to regulate the production of testosterone as some steroid users are known to do).

The FDA's position on male use of Clomid for infertility reads as follows: "There are no adequate or well-controlled studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of Clomid in the treatment of male infertility. In addition, testicular tumors and gynecomastia have been reported in males using clomiphene. The cause and effect relationship between reports of testicular tumors and the administration of Clomid is not known."

A portion of the article at NFL issues sharp response to Robert Mathis' claims

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I call B.S.

First of all there are other drugs available to help with his little problem; more importantly, there are other treatments that don't even involve drugs...male fertility issues break down mainly into 3 areas...you don't make little troopers...you don't have enough of them...or they are deformed useless troopers. No medication helps with issues 1 and 3, where collecting and storing solves issue number 2

Considering the amount of money the NFL and teams pay for in doctors, I can't buy his whole story--since am sure the doctors in the Colts organization would gladly have helped with sound advise.

Now if all this is true, that he got bad medical advise, Mathis has nothing to worry about--he can sue his doctor for malpractice and make even more money...lost wages/salary and damage to his marketable name and reputation...I just looked and I don't see or hear mathis has filed suit---strange don't you think?

clive is offline Registered User

Is there a precedent of someone having an award taken from them for rules violations?

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Is there a precedent of someone having an award taken from them for rules violations?
    Considering doing so would give the Award to the player that actually had more real sacks (including those taken away by completely bogus penalties, but not altered like Mathis' post game addition), and that player being a St Louis RAM, I doubt the NFL would do this, even if there was a precedent.

gap