HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Robinson in trouble again

It's interesting to see on Seahawk message boards how SOME (and I purposely stress some) hawk fans who called for Little's head on a platter AFTER he was acquitted last month are now waving the "innocent until proven guilty" flag for their guy.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Robinson in trouble again
    Maligned Seahawks receiver Koren Robinson charged with DUI

MIKE SANDO AND SEAN ROBINSON; The News Tribune
    Last updated: June 1st, 2005 07:30 AM

Koren Robinson has been charged with DUI and reckless driving following a May 6 incident in Medina, perhaps foreshadowing the troubled receiver’s release from the Seattle Seahawks.
    Robinson, 25, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to the misdemeanor criminal charges filed in Kirkland Municipal Court, and he is due back before Judge Albert Raines on July 18, documents show.

The Seahawks were not available to comment Tuesday night, but team sources previously indicated that Robinson had run out of second chances following a troubled four-year run with the team. Robinson has acknowledged as much.

“I know what I’ve got to do and they’re expecting me to do that,” Robinson said following an April 30 minicamp practice. “If not, I know the consequences. … Either you want to be in the NFL or you don’t. And I do. So, I have to do everything I gotta do to stay here.”

A first-round draft choice in 2001, Robinson served a four-game NFL suspension for substance abuse last season. Coach Mike Holmgren benched him for failing to show up at practice one day before an important Jan. 2 game against Atlanta.

The Seahawks won that game to clinch their first NFC West championship. Holmgren allowed Robinson to play in the playoff game Jan. 8 against St. Louis on the condition that the receiver would seek professional help after the season.

Robinson’s four-game league suspension had stemmed from a positive test for a substance consistent with the party drug ecstasy, sources have said. Further examination raised questions about an alcohol problem for which Robinson agreed to seek treatment.

Robinson emerged from treatment in time to participate in the team’s post-draft minicamp. Following practice April 30, Robinson said he had given up alcohol, his travails having served as a wake-up call.

“I’m not stupid, man,” Robinson said at the time. “I’m not going to be one of those people they talk about, ‘Oh, he had the potential to be a great player but he let this, that and the third, so many distractions’ – that’s not going to be me.”

Six days later, Medina Police officer David Obermiller cited Robinson on suspicion of DUI and reckless driving, court records show. Bail was set at $1,000.

Attempts to reach Robinson failed Tuesday night. His mother declined comment when reached on her cell phone.

The plan had been for Robinson’s mother and young son to live with him beginning this month.

“It’ll help me and keep me focused,” Robinson said in the April 30 interview.

New Seahawks president Tim Ruskell appears unwilling to tolerate players with off-field problems.

“We must be held accountable for our own actions, year round,” he wrote in a letter to players.

Robinson has 213 catches for 3,167 yards and 12 touchdowns in four NFL seasons. He led the team in 2002 with 78 catches for 1,240 yards, but the past two seasons marked a drop in production.

He caught 31 passes for 495 yards and two scores in 10 games last season.

Robinson is scheduled to earn $1.35 million in 2005. Counting bonuses received in past years, his contract counts a little more than $2.5 million against the Seahawks’ salary cap.

The release of Robinson, coupled with the long-anticipated release of veteran cornerback Bobby Taylor, might help the team sign its draft choices and add another veteran player.

The Seahawks have shown interest in free-agent pass rusher Peter Boulware, who spent his first eight NFL seasons with Baltimore.

Boulware is expected to visit the Cleveland Browns on Thursday before deciding whether to visit Seattle, ESPN.com reported.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: Robinson in trouble again

You fooled me! As this was a Rams board, I figured it had to do with this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    You fooled me! As this was a Rams board, I figured it had to do with this guy!
    You just gotta love the General NFL Talk forum. Every team and their players are fair game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

Here is what KFFL is saying:

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks WR Koren Robinson has been charged with DUI and reckless driving following a May 6 incident. This latest incident could spell the end for the troubled wide receiver in Seattle. He pleaded not guilty Tuesday, May 31 to the misdemeanor criminal charges filed in Kirkland Municipal Court, and he is due back in court July 18, documents show.

Robinson's troubles seem to be non-stop, as he served a four-game suspension last year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He was also benched for failing to show up for a practice the day before the Seahawks' 2004 regular season finale against the Atlanta Falcons. Robinson was allowed to play the following week in the NFC Wild Card game against the St. Louis Rams, with the agreement that he would seek professional help after the season.

Robinson entered treatment and then attended the team's post-draft minicamp, where he said he had given up alcohol. "I'm not stupid, man," Robinson said on April 30. "I'm not going to be one of those people they talk about, 'Oh, he had the potential to be a great player but he let this, that and the third, so many distractions' - that's not going to be me." However, just six days later, Robinson was cited on suspicion of DUI and reckless driving.

The Seahawks certainly can't deal with Robinson's off-field troubles much longer and it would be no surprise if he was released. Robinson led Seattle with 78 receptions and 1,240 yards in 2002, but his production has dropped off the past two seasons. He is scheduled to earn $1.35 million in 2005, and coupled with recent bonuses in the past two years, his cap value is just over $2.5 million. The Seahawks are expected to release CB Bobby Taylor, so if Robinson is also released, it could help Seattle add another player.

From a fantasy aspect, if Robinson is released, the Seahawks still have veteran WRs Bobby Engram, Jerome Pathon and Joe Jurevicius on the roster. Only Engram, who is currently slated to be Seattle's No. 3 receiver behind Robinson and WR Darrell Jackson, has produced over 80 receptions and 900 yards in a season. However, that was achieved with the Chicago Bears in 1999. Over the past five seasons, Engram has averaged just 36 receptions, 450 yards and 1.6 TDs, which is not the type of production Robinson can provide if his head is in the game.

Pathon has never been more than a role player and has never caught more than 50 passes in a season. Over the last three years, all with the New Orleans Saints, he's averaged 40 receptions, 561 yards and three touchdowns per season. Jurevicius, who came over from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the offseason, has shown flashes but has also been slowed by injuries the last few years. He, too, has had mediocre numbers. In the last two years, he's been active for just 15 games. Thus, these two bring more questions than answers. However, losing Robinson's attitude and issues could be addition by subtraction.

Seattle could also look at acquiring WR Rod Gardner, who is speculated to be a June 1 cut from the Washington Redskins. The Seahawks were speculated to be one of four teams to trade for Gardner prior to the 2005 NFL Draft in April.

For the time being, watch as this situation plays itself out. Engram, Pathon and Jurevicius should be considered no better than flier selections at the very end of your draft.

As for Robinson, his status remains as volatile as ever. If he can hold onto a roster spot with the team, he will be hanging on by a thread and any further issues could quickly result in his release. He is truly a gamble at the tail end of fantasy drafts at this point, but one has to wonder if his risk completely outweighs his potential reward.
    This space for rent...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I really hope their cutting Robinson and Taylor doesn't give them an in for Boulware. Even if the guy can't stay healthy, I'd rather see him in Ohio.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I don't see what the big deal about Boulware is. I don't think he'll make an impact as a DE in a 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I really hope their cutting Robinson and Taylor doesn't give them an in for Boulware. Even if the guy can't stay healthy, I'd rather see him in Ohio.
    From what I've read, those two cuts will give them about $3 mil of extra cap space, but they only have $200k now. Their fans aren't getting too upset about it, so either they have their rose-colored glasses on or I've got my numbers wrong. But the way I see it, is there's no way they can sign Boulware and all their rookies for $3.2 mil. They seem to think they can, but that would have to be a lot of home-town lovin' in those contracts to fit them all under the cap.

general counsel Guest

I would rather see them get boulware than gardner, who i think is a very good receiver and unlike the other guys seattle has at that position, can actually catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.

Koren Robinson is one of the great wastes of talent in the nfl. He is the next torry holt the same way damione lewis is the next warren sapp. At least in lewis' defense, he has never been physically right, whereas in robinsons case, despite all the size, speed and talent, he is a first rate spoiled brat with no self discipline of any kind.

ramming speed to all

general counsel