RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Ron Rivera let go of by Bears!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6...40813162&ATT=5
    FOXSports.com has learned that Chicago has decided to not renew the contract of defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Team sources say that Smith and Rivera met recently and agreed to allow Rivera to pursue other opportunities. The sources also contend that Smith will likely end up promoting Bob Babich from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator.
    Wow... Hire him as Assistant Defensive Coordinator:x

RamsFan16

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Ron Rivera let go of by Bears!

That is surprising; my only thought is that he has something lined up already.
    I seriously doubt he would take anything less than a DC job. He still might go to SD as a DC.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is offline Registered User

He is not going to san diego according to the reports. They are hiring ted cottrell, who has a prior relationship with the GM.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Something stinks here....What's going on?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

From what I hear nothing is really going on. Basically Rivera was making around $400,000 a year and wanted around $1,000,000. The Bears decided not to pay him for several reasons. One, who knows how long he will be there and two, they really liked Babich.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

He's decided to be the LB coach at San Diego!!!!

Is this the same guy everyone wanted as a head coach? What happened?

The Linebacker Coach? WTF??
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    He's decided to be the LB coach at San Diego!!!!

Is this the same guy everyone wanted as a head coach? What happened?

The Linebacker Coach? WTF??
    Yeah, this is a head scratcher for sure. Sounds like Rivera got caught between a rock and a hard place with the Bears. I'm sure the story will continue to unfold. It works out great for the Chargers though.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    From what I hear nothing is really going on. Basically Rivera was making around $400,000 a year and wanted around $1,000,000. The Bears decided not to pay him for several reasons. One, who knows how long he will be there and two, they really liked Babich.
    This is it and actually makes quite a bit of sense. The Bears weren't going to make a financial commitment to keep Rivera when he's just a year or two from a head coaching job. And when it comes down to it, this is Lovie's defense anyway, so they don't need to pay top dollar to keep Rivera there to run the thing. Also consider the Bears are trying to get Lovie signed to an extension, which will likely be costly. No way they do that for Lovie and then also spend the money on Rivera who won't be there long-term.

As for him going to San Diego, let's not forget that two weeks ago the rumor was that Norv Turner told Cowboys owner Jerry Jones that if he got the Dallas head coaching job he'd want Rivera as defensive coordinator. So Rivera joining Turner's staff in San Diego isn't that surprising, though his going there as a position coach is somewhat interesting. I imagine that's simply because the Chargers already hired Cottrell to be the coordinator and weren't going to go back on that. I doubt anyone in the front office or on the coaching staff has any delusions about Rivera staying in that role long-term.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is it and actually makes quite a bit of sense. The Bears weren't going to make a financial commitment to keep Rivera when he's just a year or two from a head coaching job. And when it comes down to it, this is Lovie's defense anyway, so they don't need to pay top dollar to keep Rivera there to run the thing. Also consider the Bears are trying to get Lovie signed to an extension, which will likely be costly. No way they do that for Lovie and then also spend the money on Rivera who won't be there long-term.

As for him going to San Diego, let's not forget that two weeks ago the rumor was that Norv Turner told Cowboys owner Jerry Jones that if he got the Dallas head coaching job he'd want Rivera as defensive coordinator. So Rivera joining Turner's staff in San Diego isn't that surprising, though his going there as a position coach is somewhat interesting. I imagine that's simply because the Chargers already hired Cottrell to be the coordinator and weren't going to go back on that. I doubt anyone in the front office or on the coaching staff has any delusions about Rivera staying in that role long-term.
    Rivera interviewed for HC positions last off season and this off season with no takers. Now taking a step backwards to LB's coach? How will that effect his desire to become a HC? Obviously OC's and DC's are looked at for HC positions but a LB's coach? How often are guys considered or better yet selected for a Head Coaching position from that level?