Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rumor has it Moss is already creating trouble with new Raiders head coach Kiffin

Kiffin's first test
    Posted by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer on January 28th, 2007

The story making the rounds at the Senior Bowl is that Lane Kiffin's first attempt at establishing a rapport with Randy Moss didn't go too well.

Think Shell vs. Porter.

That confrontation, in the office of the head coach some 10 or 11 months ago, was the first crack in the foundation of the Shell regime.

Kiffin, by contrast, supposedly had trouble reaching Moss by phone. When he finally did, as the story goes, Moss told him in a pointed, profane terms he wasn't interested in talking.

It's been reported on a pair of ESPN radio interviews, and a source at the Senior Bowl confirms Kiffin vs. Moss was indeed a topic of discussion among coaches, scouts and personnel men in Mobile, Ala.

It's worth noting that no one has gone on the record with this story as of yet. Like the party game in which a story is whispered in the ear of one and passed down the line until it ends up being something completely different or exaggerated, maybe it's not as serious as it sounds.

But considering the way Moss acted last season, it certainly sounds possible.

The history of the Raiders new coach is that he addresses situations decisively, choosing a course of action then moving ahead, confident in his convictions. That he can sell an idea and is confident enough (some call it arrogant) to make it work.

I've spent the last few days researching and writing a profile on Kiffin, attempting to chart his path from a football savvy youth to, well, an NFL coaching youth. It will run in Monday's ANG Newspapers.

(That's at least part of my excuse for not filing blogs the past few days _ although it should be noted that with Kiffin hired, I won't be filing every day in this forum. Your own thoughts, however, are always welcome).

Family members, as well as friends and colleagues, have the utmost confidence Kiffin is up to handling even the most difficult veteran players.

David Watson, a USC assistant coach who went to high school with Kiffin, said his friend has dealt with all manner of personalities with the Trojans.

John Reaves, a former Florida quarterback who played nine years in the NFL and happens to be Kiffin's father-in-law, said Kiffin will have no problem taking a problem player "to the woodshed.''

Kiffin has two choices with Moss. He can either keep working to make nice, or tell Al Davis that the highest-salaried player on the team threatens to undermine his program before it starts.

If Moss indeed cursed Kiffin right off the bat, he may be doing the Raiders a favor. It's better for Moss to create an impossible situation and attempt to force at trade early than for him to show up, pretend to care, then turn off the spigot at his leisure.

It's possible that to have Moss insubordinate and uncooperative from Day 1 could be the first big break of the Kiffin regime becuase it could spur Davis to get rid of him.

The problem is Davis wants top dollar for top talent, and Moss has been so indifferent his value is at an all-time low.

If Kiffin didn't yet understand what it meant to be head coach of the Raiders at his press conference, he surely does now.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Rumor has it Moss is already creating trouble with new Raiders head coach Kiffin

Wouldn't shock me in the least if this happened. Moss hates it in Oakland and he knows as much as we do that they aren't getting any better anytime soon. I wonder how'd he'd be if he were part of a winning organization. I'm sure he'd still be a crybaby jackass but probably not anywhere as bad as he is now.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rumor has it Moss is already creating trouble with new Raiders head coach Kiffin

What a waste of talent.

Moss is a cancer....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

You're not in Trojanland any more Lane, welcome to the NFL. If Moss can't function with the Faiders, where can he? Maybe if he gets arrested, he could fit in with the Bengals, but I don't think there would be much room for him in Cincy. Randy's options seem rather limited these days.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You're not in Trojanland any more Lane, welcome to the NFL. If Moss can't function with the Faiders, where can he? Maybe if he gets arrested, he could fit in with the Bengals, but I don't think there would be much room for him in Cincy. Randy's options seem rather limited these days.
    As I stated in an earlier post on another thread, this soap-opera of an NFL team will be quite entertaining to watch. You're absolutely right r8hr8hrmike. Lane, you ain't in college anymore, you're playin' with the big boys. ...and a lot of these big boys are major prima donnas with attitudes. That college rah-rah stuff won't work with these guys. As laram said, Moss is a cancer, always has been, always will be. IMHO the only way to treat this cancer is to surgically remove it. Moss is the total "me-me" guy. He cares about nothing but himself. Why do team leaders continue to talk "team" yet continue to hire guys like this? The Faiders are getting everything they deserve, and I'm going to enjoy every single minute of it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

who would take Moss?

he hasnt even shown he can play taht well since he moved to Oakland.