MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ryan Clark rips the owners' 'greed' in interview ..

From the Redzone

2/16/2011 8:10:23 PM

Steelers safety Ryan Clark went on The Morning Show on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh via Sports Radio Interviews and discussed how no progress has been made between the players and the owners on a new CBA according to the Huffington Post.

"If they told me you know what Ryan, whatever your salary is we're going to give it to you even if you don't come to work. What's your incentive to come to work? And essentially that's what the owners have done," Clark explained. "When you make deals with networks that say we're going to pay you even if you don't play. So what's my incentive to play when if I'm not playing, I cut my biggest overhead out which is my players, and I'm still going to make my money."

Later, Clark called the offers proposed by the owners "ridiculous" and said the NFL "does a good job at posturing."

Clark went on to say that Goodell "claims" he works for the players, but he "clearly" doesn't.

"I have D Smith's cell phone number because he works for us. I don't have Roger's. Maybe he'll call me after this because he's mad at me and make me come to New York or something," he said.

Looks like we're in for a long acerbic offseason ..

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Ryan Clark rips the owners' 'greed' in interview ..

Yes, it makes complete sense that the NFL would want to stop actually having games all the time and just sit around and money would automatically come to them for years and years....

Idiot.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Yes, it makes complete sense that the NFL would want to stop actually having games all the time and just sit around and money would automatically come to them for years and years....

Idiot.
    Actually, BW, I think what Clark is referring to is the strong rumor that the TV deal has already paid the NFL their money for next season, much like a signing bonus for a player. So it isn't idiotic under those circumstances to say that the NFL is in a very strong position for the next year at least. I'm sure the TV folks would try to get that money back but it would take years of battling an army of NFL lawyers through the court system.

The way his comment reads is he's saying the NFL won't lose money by not putting out a product...which is incorrect, even if they still get money from the TV people, there are going to be a bunch of empty buildings sitting around with no one in them. That's where the huge revenue loss comes in. Companies do not make money by not producing a product. Even if they have insurance (tv contract).

Also, I'm just really frustrated with this constant bickering back and forth with his player saying that thing and that owner saying another thing and the two sides just acting like idiots. It helps no one to say what he said.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, I'm just really frustrated with this constant bickering back and forth with his player saying that thing and that owner saying another thing and the two sides just acting like idiots. It helps no one to say what he said.
    Fair point. The "he said/she said" is annoying but it's not our money they're yapping about, either.I'd agree the guy is probably not helping but there seems to be some grounds for his frustration.And while I'm sure the owners would lose money in a lockout, it's unlikely to be debilitating to the same degree; they're built for the longhaul but the players are not.

Btw, the facilities are not sitting empty in any case. NFL games only account for a maximum of...what?..10-12 days a year, if your team does well & gets a couple of home playoff games? They'd just fill it with the stuff that goes on the other 350+ days. The ED, for eg, is hosting motocross, a home & garden show, monster trucks, and high school football,among other events, this next two months alone. The owners will scrape by, trust me.

Oh I'm not worried the owners will go bankrupt, and I realize the stadium serve other functions, but when it comes to their use as an NFL stadium, they will be empty and that's alot of money down the drain for the NFL. I realize the owners aren't going to go bankrupt, but if you look at the trend in sports lockouts (that's a sad phrase) whenever this happens to a sport the loss of revenue lasts for at least a few years after the initial lockout because of reduced interest and a need to rebuild the image of the sport. I think the NFL will survive just fine, though I think numbers will be down across the board if there is a lockout for any length of regular season time. It will be more of an MLB level problem than an NHL level catastrophe.