Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: S Mays Available

TekeRam is offline Registered User

S Mays Available

The San Francisco ***** want to trade safety Taylor Mays, and they want every NFL team to know heís available.
    Adam Schefter reported this afternoon that the ***** sent out an e-mail to every team in the league to try to trade Mays. One front office of another team told Schefter it has never seen a team just mass e-mail a trade availability like that.
    It would be interesting to know whether the Seahawks have any interest, considering that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was Maysí coach at USC. Mays was furious at Carroll last year when the Seahawks didnít draft him.
    The ***** drafted Mays in the second round last year, No. 49 overall, and he played in 16 games, starting six. But the new regime apparently isnít as high on Mays as the old regime in San Francisco was, and after signing safety Madieu Williams, the ***** apparently view Mays as expendable.
    It'd probably be hard to accomplish an intra-division trade, but they do happen, and as much as I hate U$C, he was a fairly good safety and he'll come cheap. Anyone interested in acquiring him? If they desperately emailed everyone, he's gotta be cheap, right? Like 7th rounder cheap!

I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: S Mays Available

No thanks, and lets think about it, theres a reason he is available for trade after one year (THINK MARDY GILYARD).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Don't get fooled by the name recognition. Mays is stiff in the hips and struggles in coverage; he is essentially a straight line player, which severely limits what a coach is able to do with him. Hence why he was benched after a short experiment as a starter last year. Also, there's a reason his former college coach Pete Carroll didn't draft the guy when he needed a safety.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

But how about if he puts on say 10 - 12 lbs. and we convert him to a OLB? IMO this should have been his NFL position from the start as he never did project to the safety position.

He is very physical and athletic, two qualities that would serve him well as a WILL LB.

WHAT SAY YE?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Obviously depends on the asking price, but I won't lie, I was infatuated with him last year during the draft. Glad we chose Rodger of course, but the kid is as fast as a corner and hits like a linebacker. Now, I don't want them to go crazy just because he is a "name", but if say a fifth will do it, he would be a nice little project for Spags.

And RAMarkable, love the idea at putting him at Will, not sure if he could hold up against the inside runs, but it would mean no more backs beating us in the flats all season long.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    But how about if he puts on say 10 - 12 lbs. and we convert him to a OLB?
    There are rumblings that the ***** asked him to do just that and he refused.

But even if he was willing, he'd be a major project. He'd need to learn how to take on and shed blocks, get through traffic to make plays behind the line, and properly wrap up rather than just launching himself at ball carriers.

Situationally, he may be able to contribute, but I don't know if it'd be worth all the effort. Ultimately, I think he'll end up in the same boat as Darnell Bing, another former USC player who is sort of stuck between being a safety or linebacker.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

A mass e-mail ?! Sounds to me like this guy may have had a serious spat with The Whiners. Not particularly interested in him for The Rams but I'd buy him a beer for telling the Whiners to shove it if that's what happened. Too funny.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

As is the case with many U$C players, Mays was/is overrated, and questions about his ability to play the safety position go back to his days as a Trojan. The mass e-mail is not only telling, but as Azul mentioned, hilarious.
    TekeRam likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I would say it def. speaks volumes that Carroll,who coached him that year, turned up his nose when he needed a safety.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

This is what I heard of him. He is an awesome physical athletic specimen. Just not cut out for football. He has awesome vertical speed. But that doesn't do anything to you in football.

Carroll passed up. ***** mass emailed. Carroll hasn't changed his mind, neither has the whole league.

He is just a great physical athlete that is not a football player. So I say pass unless... they cut him and we can sign for cheap and see if spags can change him.