Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    .ramfan. is offline Registered User

Saints Releasing Smith- Think we're Interested?

The New Orleans Saints apprised agent Drew Rosenhaus on Thursday that they have abandoned their efforts to trade starting free safety Dwight Smith, one of their steadiest defenders during a dismal 2005 season, and instead will release the veteran defensive back after just one year with the franchise.

The move comes after New Orleans officials spent much of the offseason attempting to trade Smith, and just one week before Saints players are scheduled to report to summer training camp at Millsaps College near Jackson, Miss.

A five-year veteran, Smith will become an unrestricted free agent once his name officially appears on the NFL internal transactions network, which could come as early as Thursday afternoon. While the Saints apparently could not find a trade deal to their liking, it is expected that Smith will have multiple suitors as a free agent.

One franchise that probably will pursue him is Tampa Bay, the franchise with which Smith began his NFL career. It will not be surprising if Smith has a new home within two or three days.

The former Akron standout, a third-round pick of the Bucs in the 2001 draft, is the kind of safety many teams covet -- an interior defender with cornerback-level coverage skills. In fact, Smith started his career with the Bucs as a standout nickel cornerback and then was moved to safety 2003.

Smith, 27, provides a defense with tremendous flexibility because of his hybrid skills and his ability to move out into the slot and cover wide receivers.

As arguably the Saints' most notable veteran addition in 2005, Smith signed a five-year, $15 million contract as an unrestricted free agent, and the deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus. The four years that were remaining on his New Orleans contract were for base salaries of $1.2 million (for 2006), $1.6 million (2007), $2.5 million (2008) and $3.5 million (2009). Given the palatable level of those salaries for the next two seasons, it is surprising that no team stepped up and traded for him.

In his only season with the Saints, Smith appeared in 15 games, all starts, and registered 86 tackles, one sack, two interceptions, seven passes defensed and two forced fumbles.

It has been rumored that Smith might have experienced some personality conflicts with some members of the New Orleans management team. It is also possible that with a new head coach (Sean Payton) and new defensive coordinator (Gary Gibbs), he simply did not fit into the Saints' plans any longer.

New Orleans has dramatically reshapes its safety corps in the last 14 months. The Saints used second-round picks on Josh Bullocks in 2005 and on Roman Harper in 2006. A player the coaches regard very highly, Bullocks started 13 games as a rookie last year. New Orleans also signed veteran Omar Stoutmire as a free agent in the offseason and acquired former second-rounder Bryan Scott in a trade with Atlanta.

For his career, Smith has appeared in 78 games and started 49 of them. He has 306 tackles, one sack, 14 interceptions, 45 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and two recoveries. In Tampa Bay's victory over the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII, Smith returned two interceptions for touchdowns.

Despite having Atogwe and others competing for the FS spot, do you think Haslet would bring him in?
    Last edited by .ramfan.; -07-20-2006 at 03:26 PM.

As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

saints expected to release dwight smith...

this guy is a proven combo safety/corner that could be a big addiition to anybody's ballclub... if the rams could bring smith in at a reasonable price that would defenitely sure up our safety concerns... as much as i like atogwe i think smith could come play and play more productive this year for the rams...

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Saints Releasing Smith- Think we're Interested?

In his only season with the Saints, Smith appeared in 15 games, all starts, and registered 86 tackles, one sack, two interceptions, seven passes defensed and two forced fumbles.
    He can Tackle! We are probably going to try to get him since he played on the same team with Haslett. If we do sign him, the FS battle spot would be Smith VS Atogwe VS Carter. And it probably be Smith coming out victorious. He would be a great addition. Would we have enough money to sign our draft picks or do we have to cut people to get enough money.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't know how the money looks, but if Faulk does retire, that would probably free up more than enough. But it is strange that the team would release him after only one year...especially when he was a defensive standout on the team in that year. I'd like to know more about what happened there. Otherwise, he sounds like just the kind of player you'd want at free safety. He hasn't missed a lot of games or had injury issues, he's in his prime and coming off a good year, and he might not cost that much.

As arguably the Saints' most notable veteran addition in 2005, Smith signed a five-year, $15 million contract as an unrestricted free agent, and the deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus. The four years that were remaining on his New Orleans contract were for base salaries of $1.2 million (for 2006), $1.6 million (2007), $2.5 million (2008) and $3.5 million (2009). Given the palatable level of those salaries for the next two seasons, it is surprising that no team stepped up and traded for him.
    Yeah, that doesnt sound that much and it would probably fit in with the Draft Picks. And if we do sign him,.... hes in his 5th year so it should be like a 4-5 year deal. And that does concern me that they released him after a great year.
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -07-20-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, I suspect one of the reasons the Saints are willing to part ways with Smith is because they simply have sooooo many bodies back at the safety position. They've got Josh Bullocks likely starting at free safety after a solid 2005 season, and they added Omar Stoutmire and Bryan Scott this offseason and drafted Roman Harper in round two. Add that on top of Jay Bellamy and it's a very deep unit. One of the reasons they were shopping Smith was because they thought he'd fetch the highest offer, but I suspect they just feel they have so much talent there that they just don't need him.

At 5'10", Smith is a slightly undersized safety who started in the NFL as a cornerback and saw quite a bit of starting action there because of injuries while in Tampa. He could likely succeed there in the right scheme because of his man to man and press skills. He has great speed and could be a good addition to the team because of his versatility. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams look into him since he was brought to the Saints under Haslett last year. That said, the Bucs have shown a lot of interest so they may jump on him pretty quickly.

I definitely would like to see us give him a call, because outside of Chavous, Atogwe, and Carter, we have virtually nothing else at safety unless you count Bartell. It'd be nice to get another vet in there, especially one of the caliber of Smith who would at worst challenge Atogwe directly for the starting FS job.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I would like Nick said. Definately give him a call. We have Atogwe competing who is a Free Safety, Carter who is a SS trying for FS and Carpenter? No chance. I think if we signed Smith that him and Atogwe would be fun to watch compete for a Starting Free Safety job. I'd definately be more confident with Atogwe and Smith in at the same time on certain plays back in coverage than Carter and Atogwe.

I'd say give him a call!
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well, I suspect one of the reasons the Saints are willing to part ways with Smith is because they simply have sooooo many bodies back at the safety position. They've got Josh Bullocks likely starting at free safety after a solid 2005 season, and they added Omar Stoutmire and Bryan Scott this offseason and drafted Roman Harper in round two. Add that on top of Jay Bellamy and it's a very deep unit. One of the reasons they were shopping Smith was because they thought he'd fetch the highest offer, but I suspect they just feel they have so much talent there that they just don't need him.

At 5'10", Smith is a slightly undersized safety who started in the NFL as a cornerback and saw quite a bit of starting action there because of injuries while in Tampa. He could likely succeed there in the right scheme because of his man to man and press skills. He has great speed and could be a good addition to the team because of his versatility. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams look into him since he was brought to the Saints under Haslett last year. That said, the Bucs have shown a lot of interest so they may jump on him pretty quickly.

I definitely would like to see us give him a call, because outside of Chavous, Atogwe, and Carter, we have virtually nothing else at safety unless you count Bartell. It'd be nice to get another vet in there, especially one of the caliber of Smith who would at worst challenge Atogwe directly for the starting FS job.
    Agreed, but with the whole Draft thing, and us not having enough money, who is this all going to workout? I wonder if that whole draft pick thing is the cause of why we haven't gotten Bennett? That's definitely something that was taken into consideration, hopefully we give him a call, and see what goes down, but we gotta do it quickly, Tampa wants this guy apparently, so we gotta get a move on...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    Agreed, but with the whole Draft thing, and us not having enough money, who is this all going to workout? I wonder if that whole draft pick thing is the cause of why we haven't gotten Bennett?
    No, it's not, because it's two different things. Trading for Michael Bennett or signing Dwight Smith is going to lessen our salary cap room, but our rookie pool amount is fixed since it's based on the number and position of our draft selections.

To elaborate, as of May 24th the Rams had $7.14451 million in cap space. Their rookie pool - the maximum amount of their cap they can use to sign rookies - is $4.88 million according to Balzer. Assuming they use all of that, then that leaves a little over $2 million in cap space that the Rams can work with for other non-drafted players. Michael Bennett's 2006 salary is $700,000 so the Rams would absorb that if they traded for him and still have some cap room to work with. The Rams could sign Smith so long as his 2006 salary and pro-rated signing bonus cap charge does not exceed the $2+ million they have free.

Doing either of those isn't going to affect/change the $4.88 million we have slotted for rookies. The problem with the rookies is that we have so many that it's going to be a tight fit to get them under that rookie pool of $4.88. The problem is NOT that we don't have enough main cap space to sign them all, which if that were the case, would inhibit our ability to sign veteran players.

Hope that cleared things up.

TNRamFan23 is offline Registered User

Dwight Smith is being released because he's a locker room cancer and he's not that great. He constantly gets beat because he misplays a pass or is always going for the big play.

He's been arrested I believe twice since being in the NFL, the last time was for waving a gun at a crowd of people at a Tampa night club.

He was reported as telling people in the Saints locker room that he was upset that he lost playing time to Josh Bullocks and that he was the starter because he makes starters money.

And finally, he was quoted while playing flag football as saying " I play for the money it doesn't matter if we lose every game, I still get paid "

I'm not sure we need a guy like this.

Is there something you dont know Nick? Your so smart!

"I play for the money it doesn't matter if we lose every game, I still get paid "
    Did he really say that? Wont he have to play very good to get the money or if he doesnt play good, he gets released and no other team would want him... so he's got to play good! or else he wont get the money

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Did he really say that? Wont he have to play very good to get the money or if he doesnt play good, he gets released and no other team would want him... so he's got to play good! or else he wont get the money
    Yes, he really said that...

He had just won the Super Bowl in Tampa and the next season signed a 5 year deal with the Saints.. I think it was around 15-16M and a bonus of around 3M or so...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Is there something you dont know Nick? Your so smart!
    Well I didn't know much of anything about the info TNRamFan23 posted.

That said, the Sporting News reports that Smith started in all 15 games in which he played, so I'm kind of baffled as to why he would make a statement about losing playing time to Josh Bullocks. I'd like to see a link on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well I didn't know much of anything about the info TNRamFan23 posted.

That said, the Sporting News reports that Smith started in all 15 games in which he played, so I'm kind of baffled as to why he would make a statement about losing playing time to Josh Bullocks. I'd like to see a link on that one.
    I don't have any links on his comments as I was told he said those things by some of my family that lives in Houma, LA.

I do have links to a few of his off the field problems but this MB says I can't post URL's until I get to 14 or 15 posts...

Quote Originally Posted by TNRamFan23
    I do have links to a few of his off the field problems but this MB says I can't post URL's until I get to 14 or 15 posts...
    PM the link to a Moderator and they will post it for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast