RamWraith is offline Registered User

Saints slap DE Grant with franchise tag

Five-year veteran says he feels disrespected
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007
    By Mike Triplett

Defensive end Charles Grant expressed his frustration Tuesday after the Saints designated him as their franchise player.

The move requires the Saints to offer Grant a one-year contract worth $8.644 million the average of the top five players at his position. But it prevents the 28-year-old from becoming an unrestricted free agent March 2.

Grant can negotiate with other teams, but it is unlikely another team will offer a long-term deal.

The Saints have the right to match any offer Grant receives. Or, if they decide to let him go, the new team would have to compensate the Saints with two first-round draft picks.

"I still hope we can work something out," said Grant, who was hoping to either sign a long-term contract extension with the Saints or be allowed to test the free-agent waters.

He characterized the Saints' contract discussions so far as "treating me like I'm a scrub" and "trying to spit in our face."

"It's not so much being disappointed (with staying in New Orleans)," said Grant, a first-round draft pick in 2002. "I've been here five years. I love Louisiana. I love the people here. You can't get better people than here in New Orleans.

"But other teams are interested in me. If you don't think I can play the game of football, you should treat me like a man and let me go."

Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis declined to comment on the Saints' decision.

Grant's agent, William Johnson, echoed Grant's sentiments.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Saints slap DE Grant with franchise tag

I totally expected this. Grant doesn't seem to happy about it though.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

if we give him a decent contract offer, i reckon he could probably swing it so we only have to give up the 1 first rounder

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think Linehan and Haslett have some persuading to do...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    if we give him a decent contract offer, i reckon he could probably swing it so we only have to give up the 1 first rounder
    No, if we give him a contract offer, then the Saints would have a week to match or they'd receive two first round picks. You can't give him an offer and then try to negotiate other compensation terms. Once the offer sheet is made, the Saints are on the clock. If you don't want to pay the two first round picks, then you have to negotiate the trade first.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No, if we give him a contract offer, then the Saints would have a week to match or they'd receive two first round picks. You can't give him an offer and then try to negotiate other compensation terms. Once the offer sheet is made, the Saints are on the clock. If you don't want to pay the two first round picks, then you have to negotiate the trade first.
    Forget about Grant...Not worth what we would have to give up. NEXT!