Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: San Francisco and QB Alex Smith agree to contract terms

Quote Originally Posted by KurtWarner2005MVP
    Hmmm, I wonder if it were us who had drafted Smith if people would be bashing the money amount of the deal or calling Smith scrawny and saying that he never has played pro ball (either has Barron by the way, we don't seem to knock him for it).
    You don't see us giving Barron $24M in bonus money, either. If we did, I would be asking why we're giving Barron that much for someone who hasn't proved anything in the league. Rookie contracts at the top end are getting pretty out of control. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the new CBA have some kind of roof on the kind of contracts rookies can receive.

But is this what you do - go around and defend Ram rivals while calling all of us biased? Sounds like a fun hobby, but not one I'd think a Ram fan would take up. If the Rams had drafted Smith, I would be screaming, since we don't need a quarterback of the future from the first round. Furthermore, I'd be screaming if we gave Smith more money than someone like Manning, who is a better prospect. Please don't assume what we would and would not do.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

KWMVP2005, if you're a Ram fan, I'm a vermicious knid.

Preacher Jim is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    KWMVP2005, if you're a Ram fan, I'm a vermicious knid.
    But maybe he's just raising a question. Sometimes we don't read things the way they were meant. Maybe KWMVP2005's posts are being a little misinterpreted...maybe?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim
    But maybe he's just raising a question. Sometimes we don't read things the way they were meant. Maybe KWMVP2005's posts are being a little misinterpreted...maybe?
    PJ, I appreciate the peacemaker stance, but sometimes there are differing views on a football message board, and this is how things get worked out. If KW has been misinterpreted, he now has his chance to clarify.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Preacher Jim is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    PJ, I appreciate the peacemaker stance, but sometimes there are differing views on a football message board, and this is how things get worked out. If KW has been misinterpreted, he now has his chance to clarify.
    I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, I guess I just don't understand how some rules are interpreted on the board. That's all.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim
    I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, I guess I just don't understand how some rules are interpreted on the board. That's all.
    Don't worry Jim, no feathers ruffled so far, just check your PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Wow. If he plays 5 years of regular season games, without $1.00 in salary, figuring 40 hour work weeks, that's 7,500.00 / hour, and 6 months off a year.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

He's the number one pick in the draft. Is it a lot of money? yes. But that's just the league evolving. Number one picks will always continue to get more and more. Just the nature of the game. And comparing how much he's making to Barron is stupid. Barron isn't a number one pick. I was using Barron as a comparision of a player not having any experience. Us fans will never be able to understand or rationalize the ridiculous amounts of money these guys make. But as long as someone is willing to pay them, it means the funds are there. Just the way it is.

And lastly, as for defending the rivals, I am not. Just trying to give a tiny ounce of perspective. Why we all knock every move San Fran, Seattle, and Arizona make while praising every golden move the Rams make is befuddling to me. Y'all know where I stand on my division predictions. I think the Rams are by far the class of the west. But it gets old how one sided EVERYTHING seems to come off all the time. I admit that for the most part things tend to favor the Rams, just not EVERYTHING.

And comparing how much he's making to Barron is stupid.
    Hmmm, I wonder if it were us who had drafted Smith if people would be bashing the money amount of the deal or calling Smith scrawny and saying that he never has played pro ball (either has Barron by the way, we don't seem to knock him for it).
    So it's okay for you to make a comparison between Smith and Barron, but it's stupid when I do it. Yeah, that's a real winner of a position there.

Why we all knock every move San Fran, Seattle, and Arizona make while praising every golden move the Rams make is befuddling to me.
    I believe I've gone on record as praising Seattle for a number of their defensive acquisitions this offseason, as have other posters. Don't say how we all do things unless you know we all do them. Clearly, we all don't.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

I certainly wouldn't begin to speak for anyone else here in the Clan, but I, for one, defend and condemn MY RAMS equally. All is not sweetness and light here in Rams Land all the time, and Lord knows I WILL open my fat mouth and sound off about anything that rubs me wrong, toot sweet! However, with that being said, I will also be the first to admit that I cut the Rams much slack and defend questionable positions, simply because they are My Rams.
    As Nick stated himself, I, too, am very impressed with and admiring of some other teams moves, trades and/or acquisitions. Constantly bad-mouthing other teams because they are "other teams" is short-sighted, ignorant and a sure sign of poor-sportsmanship. However..........

I do not like the Whiners. I like nothing about them. Not just because they are our Division nemesis, but because they fill me with an urge to defecate (bonus points...anyone?) at the slightest mention. Nothing they do is right. All FO decisions of theirs suck, all players on their roster are closet pedophiles and they are all bed-wetting pinko Commie *******s with bad skin. It is irrational, potentially offensive to some and, like it or not, how I feel.
    Therefore please, in future posts, keep in mind that "fair" and "un-biased" are two things that aren't necessarily universal. You can almost bank on biased and un-fair opinion, commentary and reporting when one ventures onto a specific sports franchise's (sp?) fan-based website.
    Here in the Clan I have seen some of the most well-informed, thoughtful and intelligent sports commentary I have ever read, espoused by some very kind, forgiving and thoughtful RAMS FANS I've found anywhere. Forgive them their devotion and tendency to favor one above all others.
    So, in summation, just let me refer some peoples browsers to a little website called ESPN.com. It offers un-biased (snort!) and fair reporting on all teams, without anyone receiving preferential treatment. Both Pittsburgh and Detroit are well represented, as are all of the other 30 teams........

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Constantly bad-mouthing other teams because they are "other teams" is short-sighted, ignorant and a sure sign of poor-sportsmanship.
    Right on Scidog. That's all I'm saying.

I got a question. Why does it say "we think this guy might be a whiner fan" when you highlight the red spot under my stats? That's lame and unfair. I say lay off the Alex Smith bashing and all of a sudden I'm a Niner fan? Sheesh. I hoot and holler about the Rams and nobody says a thing, I even got a bit of "calm down buddy" from some when arguing with other teams fans. Now I say one tiny little thing and it's all differnt. Talk about unfair treatment and bullying. Preacher Jim, do you find that brotherly for Ram fans?

Right on Scidog. That's all I'm saying.
    It's a good thing, then, that the vast majority of the opinions in question regarding Smith's contract and the Alexander situation have been backed up by logical well thought out statements and conclusions rather than just hate for the sake of hate.

Why does it say "we think this guy might be a whiner fan" when you highlight the red spot under my stats?
    That is from the board feedback/reputation system. Users are able to contribute to another member's reputation by clicking the image of the scales () in the upper right hand corner of every post.

Let's say you want to leave feedback for me about this post. You would look at this post and find the scales in the top right corner, and then click them. That opens a pop-up window that gives you two selections - either you agree or you disagree with my post. Then, there is a space where you can leave additional comments. Once you've selected whether you agree or disagree and add any additional comments, you submit the feedback and it adds to the reputation of the member.

The reputation is calculated in points based on this feedback, and based on this point total, a brief statement about your reputation is shown when a person's cursor is left over the Reputation icon (the green or red gem that appears under a user's post count on the right hand side in every post). You can view the entire list of Reputation statements here, and can see a number of them in action by moving your mouse over various members' Reputation icons.

You can check your feedback in the User CP section of the board, where it will display what post the feedback was left regarding, whether the member submitting the feedback agreed or disagreed, and also any comments that were left. The entire feedback system is anonymous, except to those with special privledges. But in general, unless you sign your name, people do not know who the reputation is from. Also, it takes a number of submissions to significantly alter a person's reputation. You can't just get one submission and find yourself all over the chart. The point of the Reputation system is to monitor and log the quality of a member's time and contributions to the board, not a snap judgment decision based on this post or that. It should be used fairly, unlike one disagreement I received, which came with the comment, "stupid avatar." That, for instance, is not a good use of the reputation feature.

You joined the board this month. This reputation system has been in place much longer. So no, you did not receive this "we think this guy might be a whiner fan" statement all of a sudden, though if someone did leave you feedback disagreeing with a post of your's in this thread, that might contribute. The content of that statement combined with the topic of this thread, though, is purely a coincidence.

But again, this was not specifically edited onto your account as an act of bullying, so how about cooling off when it comes to how "lame and unfair" this is? Any member can leave you feedback, so if you've earned points in the negative, it's because the quality or content of your posts is not something that some have agreed with. The only person who can change that is you.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-27-2005 at 11:26 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's end this charade, KW. You are obviously a fan of another team who is pretending to be a Ram fan (sort of) and trying to instigate by accusing us of automatically expressing negativity about anything a rival team does. If I were taking you seriously, I'd say you were distorting and stereotyping in a manner that does not befit a newbie to the boards, but since its obvious that you're not who you claim to be, I'll just say...

Good bye.

Thanks for the clarification Nick. I was unaware of the ratings system. I appreciate clearing things up. I have a feeling that my arguments with the Skawk fans about the Cards being better than them got me a few negative points. Ha ha ha.

As for you Avenger, say whatever you like. I have my own personal opinions of you and the way you operate on this board as well. But I am going to stay above that kinda crap and keep them too myself. I've been on this board plenty long and you never had a problem. I get annoyed cuz my friends said this board was lame and asked if we could try to be level headed and you act this? How about some other posters besides you and Seiler chime in here. I've had people privately message me saying that you are being unfair with me. Just cuz I'm a Rams fan doesn't mean I can't think Shaun Alexander makes Seattle better or that Alex Smith might not totally suck. Sorry I didn't read the rules section that said that you aren't allowed to be a Ram fan and post anything positive about anybody else or that you can never question the popular opinion. I never got any crap when I bashed other teams. The first time I say one little thing, BOOM! I'm crucified on a stake.

I am going to take Nick's advice and chill out. This board crap isn't worth getting in a huff. But if I am continued to be treated like this from Avenger or others, I'll take off and find another Ram board. I thought this one was cool after the official board shut down, but maybe I was wrong. Too bad too, cuz there's some really good posters here like HuBison, Zigzagram, Seiler, Scidgo68, and Preacher Jim. And for the record, I don't think that most posters on this board are ignorant or overly biased. Only that there are a couple who are who are very prevelent and noticable. This few stands out and that was what I was referring to. Sorry if some took it as an inditement on the whole board. I do not wish to argue with you Avenger, so please don't take offense to this post. I hope I can continue to enjoy this site. If that can't be the case, I just want to say that I've enjoyed some of your conversation very much. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by KurtWarner2005MVP; -07-28-2005 at 01:41 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast