Thread: Sanders signed

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Sanders signed

Colts signed S Bob Sanders to a five-year, $37.5 million extension through 2012. The deal includes $20 million in guarantees.

The deal makes him the NFL's highest paid safety. Sanders, a two-time Pro Bowler who entered the league as only a second-round pick in 2004 due to concerns over his height (5'8), is the leading candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. He has 90 tackles, 2.5 sacks, two interceptions, and six breakups as the starting strong safety in the NFL's top secondary this year

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sanders signed

That's a bummer. I was hoping he'd be changing from the Horseshoes to the HORNS.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We NEVER had a shot of getting this guy. With the franchise in limbo, i cant believe its realistic to think that we would lay out that kind of guaranteed money. Lets hope we are at least willing to spend to sign jackson long term.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    We NEVER had a shot of getting this guy. With the franchise in limbo, i cant believe its realistic to think that we would lay out that kind of guaranteed money.
    Yep, there was no way the Colts were going to let the cornerstone of their defense get away, and like GC noted, the Rams wouldn't have paid the price even if he was on the market.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

He would have seriously upgraded that position but seriously the Rams wouldn't have had a shot at him, as TX always says the Rams don't spend serious money on defense instead they splurge it on luxury players...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Bob Sanders resigned

i almost cried when i heard this.

One of the most influential members of the Colts defense now is one of its highest paid.
    Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract that includes approximately $20 million in guarantees, a person with knowledge of the situation said Friday. Neither Sanders nor his agent, Tom Condon, could be reached for comment. A Colts spokesman said the team had no comment.
    Sanders, 26, would have been an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Now, he is the highest-paid safety in NFL history. Sanders' new deal surpasses the one Pittsburgh gave in July to Troy Polamalu: five years, $33 million, $15.375 million in guarantees.
    Sanders is the latest defensive player the Colts have targeted as a "core'' player and invested in accordingly. During the offseason, the team made end Dwight Freeney the highest-paid defensive player in the league by signing him to a six-year, $72 million contract that included $30 million in bonuses.
    Sanders was the Colts' second-round draft pick in 2004 who has emerged as one of the NFL's biggest defensive difference-makers. He earned his second Pro Bowl appearance this season and is a front-runner for NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.
    John Madden, NBC's expert analyst who is in town for Sunday night's Colts-Tennessee Titans game, considers Sanders the top defensive player in the league this season.
    "I don't have a vote," he said. "But if I did have a vote, I would vote for Bob Sanders."

Re: Bob Sanders resigned

A guy we could look at who wouldn't have been as expensive as sanders is Mike Doss. He had a great rookie year in Indianapolis and played well when he wasn't injured. He hasn't gotten that much playtime behind Darren Sharper, but he could make an impact

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

That certainly is dissapointing news.. alternatives could be the aforementioned Mike Doss, or Ken "The Hammer" Hamlin.

On the bright side:

Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott are potential UFAS, not sure where Indy's going to find the $$$ to resign them.

shower beers is offline Registered User

You almost had to expect this. He pretty much anchors that defense.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    That certainly is dissapointing news.. alternatives could be the aforementioned Mike Doss, or Ken "The Hammer" Hamlin.

On the bright side:

Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott are potential UFAS, not sure where Indy's going to find the $$$ to resign them.
    You're right. We could look at Doss or Hamlin. They would be a strong pick up, not as strong as Sanders, but definately would help our D in 08.

Sanders is pretty much a big part of the Indy defense, I was kinda upset when he got resigned. But there are more options, clearly not as strong, but close enough.

The cowboys gave Crayton and Romo a big deal. They are also trying to keep Flozell Adams and Chris Canty I don't think they have the cash for Hamlin so he is the # 1 option at Safety since Doss hasn't started forever. I bet he wants a shot at his former team twice next year