Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Say what you want about Mike Martz...

Say what you want about Mike Martz...but at least the Rams were fun to watch when he called the offense. His worst record was 7-9 in 2002. I think most of us would be pretty happy with a 7-9 season compared to what has transpired this last season (and the start of this year) On the bright side at least we won't have to watch Brady and Patriots go 18-0 again this season.

sunflame is offline Registered User

Re: Say what you want about Mike Martz...

This is what happen when your team have bad front office. They hire the worst head coach that they can find. I mean come on someone from Miami!!! I was never please with our coach through all these years from the beginning.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Martz isn't blameless but he put a far better product on the field than what's being offered now. Remember, Martz was heavily criticized because he wasn't winning playoff games and Super Bowls. Linehan's group can't seem to win games period. There's a big difference. Martz and the FO could certainly not co-exist so obviously the FO isn't going to fire itself but I think their decision just further illustrates(that illustration is in vibrant 1080p at this point) that the problem continues to be management. The Rams won't catch lightning in a bottle again and if they're not careful, they will lose even more fan support.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

We got rid of Martz for Linehan, am I right on this? Can anyone honestly say that Linehan is a better coach for the Rams than Martz was?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

well we got rid of Martz because of a breakdown in relationship between him and certain members of the F.O. dont know who to blame there as wasnt privy to what went on..only hearsay...but he done a good job in Detroit and left because of a personality clash..again not privy to what transpired but Martz being the common denominator.....

these peeps should be man enough to pull together for the better of the team..but i guess it wasnt to be...

Martz strengths was his skill of getting the best out of QB`s & WR`s & Marshall Faulk...his weaknesses was everything else,including other aspects of the O...

Linehan`s strengths are....er.....um.................

blitzah is offline Registered User

I remember when we had Martz, i wasnt too happy at times, but i was far happier with the Rams then than i am now. Most thought he should have called more running plays, but he won games, Linehan struggles to do that.

Martz > Linehan

As the saying goes...Be careful what you wish for. As it turns out, us Rams running Warner out of town was one of the best things that could have happened to him. Now he's slinging the rock for 350+ yards to Fitzgerald And Boldin.

moklerman is offline Registered User

O'Sullivan's 300+ yard performance today was the first 300+ yard game for a SF QB since 2004!!! I knew they were bad but that's almost unbelievable to go 3 years without a 300 yard game at QB. O'Sullivan's looked pretty good in his first two starts.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Like most things in life, you rarely appreciate them until you dont have them anymore, and such is the case with martz. Martz lost the power struggle with the front office. The rams lost a high quality head coach.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It is understandable that some would wish Martz were back here given the embarrassment Scott Linehan has proven to be, but truth be told, Martz had some major shortcomings as a head coach. His frivolous use of timeouts, poor clock management, his curious tendency to get conservative at the worst possible time, and his failure to improve the special teams coverage unit every year were weaknesses. His teams also always had a lot of penalties. He, more than anyone else cost us the Super Bowl- a game we should have never lost. He only ran Faulk- a hall of fame running back- 12 or 13 times the entire game. So while its easy to now have a love affair with Martz given the recent state of the team, let's not have short memories. Martz was an outstanding O-Coordinator, but had some deficiencies as a head coach.

Some say Martz lost us the Superbowl but that is pure speculation. Who knows what would have happened if they ran Faulk more. I do know that he was the coach that had us in the Superbowl in the first place. There's nothing to speculate about that

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It is understandable that some would wish Martz were back here given the embarrassment Scott Linehan has proven to be, but truth be told, Martz had some major shortcomings as a head coach. His frivolous use of timeouts, poor clock management, his curious tendency to get conservative at the worst possible time, and his failure to improve the special teams coverage unit every year were weaknesses. His teams also always had a lot of penalties. He, more than anyone else cost us the Super Bowl- a game we should have never lost. He only ran Faulk- a hall of fame running back- 12 or 13 times the entire game. So while its easy to now have a love affair with Martz given the recent state of the team, let's not have short memories. Martz was an outstanding O-Coordinator, but had some deficiencies as a head coach.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    well we got rid of Martz because of a breakdown in relationship between him and certain members of the F.O. dont know who to blame there as wasnt privy to what went on..only hearsay...but he done a good job in Detroit and left because of a personality clash..again not privy to what transpired but Martz being the common denominator.....

these peeps should be man enough to pull together for the better of the team..but i guess it wasnt to be...

Martz strengths was his skill of getting the best out of QB`s & WR`s & Marshall Faulk...his weaknesses was everything else,including other aspects of the O...

Linehan`s strengths are....er.....um.................
    Privy? Privy!?! Speaking of privy, that is where our team is right now... hopefully they can crawl back out before someone flushes...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey View Post
    Some say Martz lost us the Superbowl but that is pure speculation. Who knows what would have happened if they ran Faulk more. I do know that he was the coach that had us in the Superbowl in the first place. There's nothing to speculate about that
    I seem to vaguely recall an interview with Faulk in which Faulk said it was basically the same game plan which got the Rams to the SB and he had about the same number of touches as was usual in that game plan. Problem was (at least partly) that sometimes one needs to deviate from a game plan if the flow of the game dictates it. I think.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!