Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Scott Linehan TURNS DOWN ***** OC job

Courtesy of Matt Maiocco's ***** blog for the Press Democrat

Scott Linehan turned down the *****' offer today to become the team's offensive coordinator. It was a decision he described as "excruciating."

"I wish in so many ways that I hadn't liked the people so much," Linehan said in a phone interview. "I really think the franchise is going in the right direction."

Linehan, the former Rams coach, was a successful offensive coordinator with the Vikings and Dolphins. He said he wants to remain in coaching, but he said he was not ready to make a decision about joining the *****. He did not want to hold up the organization, he said.

"I had two great visits with the organization and with coach (Mike) Singletary," Linehan said. "The timing is such a crucial thing for me. I was unable to make a commitment at this point, and I felt like I could not do that to him (Singletary).

"It was basically a really tough phone call to make. There is not a better guy in the business than Mike Singletary."

Linehan said his reasons for declining the job offer were "all personal." Linehan and his wife, Kristen, have three young boys, the oldest of whom will be entering high school. The family has never lived in the same place for more than three years since Linehan broke into coaching in 1989.

"When I was 25, these decisions were made and I'd grab my luggage and go," he said. "Now, at 45, with three kids, trying to figure out the right thing is different. It was a lot easier when I was 25 - it was not so complicated."

Linehan said everything about the *****, from a professional standpoint, seemed right for him. He mentioned the background he has with quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. He said he is conflicted as he tries to figure out the next move, and he did not think it was fair to let the process drag on any further. Linehan said Singletary did not pressure him into making a fast decision.

I asked Linehan why he went through two interviews if he was not fully committed to joining the *****' staff.

"I hadn't been offered the job until the end of the process," Linehan said. "Being interviewed is a two-way street, so we were looking at each other. Everything from a professional side was a really good fit for me.

"Maybe it's because of where I was the last three seasons (head coach of the Rams) . . . It doesn't mean that a week from now I won't be kicking myself. But it's just not fair to the ***** to hold up the process."

Linehan said he will probably attend the Senior Bowl in Mobile. He said he has not been offered any other jobs, though he said he has received "some interest" for other positions. "That all weighs into it," Linehan said.

"I don't know where this is going to go," he said. "This was really an excruciating decision for me."

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Linehan TURNS DOWN ***** OC job

It just demonstrates what an incredible loser this guy is. Why go out and interview for the job....TWICE....if you didn't want it? What is more excruciating is having to witness another nonsensical decision by this idiot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hear there's a second report out there that says the *****, who currently have five tight ends on their roster, would not give Linehan permission as OC to add five more. Thus, it was a deal breaker.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't really understand what the guy is doing. Family issues aside, coaching, like the military dictates that you're most likely going to move around and not have a stable living environment. Instability goes with the occupation you've chosen. Who knows, maybe he thinks he can do better or maybe he's looking at college, but like Randy mentioned, why go through two interviews if you're not sure you want the job? It's not like he's out there coming off a high mark on his reume either. Self inflicted battle fatigue I guess.

btimsah Guest

I don't think he wants to be n California, with the high cost of real estate, taxes and the fact that the local government is bankrupt. He'd rather stay out of that mess, I bet.

I know I would . . . It costs a lot less to live in the middle of the country right now.

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I don't think he wants to be n California, with the high cost of real estate, taxes and the fact that the local government is bankrupt. He'd rather stay out of that mess, I bet.

I know I would . . . It costs a lot less to live in the middle of the country right now.
    So then don't take the interviews. I think that's the part that has everyone a bit puzzled.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    It just demonstrates what an incredible loser this guy is. Why go out and interview for the job....TWICE....if you didn't want it?
    That's what I've been wondering. What a moron.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I hear there's a second report out there that says the *****, who currently have five tight ends on their roster, would not give Linehan permission as OC to add five more. Thus, it was a deal breaker.
    LOL....nice one, Nick.

Seriously though,I think this is a sad thing for Rams fans. Singletary looks altogether too competent for my comfort.

However, just the fact that The Whiners were considering Limpehan gives me hope that they'll manage to undermine Singletary's leadership yet.

I hope Billy D has Zyggy's old Rolodex and sends The Yorks Rich Brooks', Greg Olson's (sp?), et al's digits to encourage this sort of thing.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

How moronic is that? Interview twice, get accepted and then turn it down because you don't want to move. Why? Why? No wonder we have been so inept for the last three years...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Interviewed twice and WITHDRAWS FRON CONSIDERATION??????? Does his hair have "blond" roots?????????? No wonder he was a failure as a head coach. He just can not handle the stress of coaching in the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this helps explain it?

Linehan candidate for Bucs offensive coordinator
    January 18, 2009

Former Rams coach Scott Linehan has emerged as a strong candidate to become the Bucs offensive coordinator.

On Sunday, Linehan declined an opportunity to become the ***** offensive coordinator, saying the decision wasn't based on salary.

Linehan, 45, is believed to have several opportunities. In addition to the Bucs, he could be a candidate to join the New York Jets if Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is hired as head coach.

He says he has been contacted by other teams about positions and expects to attend the Senior Bowl in Mobile.

"I'm going to have to move some time,' Linehan told the Associated Press. "I've got to find a spot here sooner or later. I'm trying to figure out what's the best situation for the Linehans.''

"It's just timing right now. I'm just not ready to make a decision...I just wouldn't want to leave (***** coach) Mike (Singletary) or (general manager) Scot (McCloughan) or anybody hanging and drag this thing out.''

The hiring of an offensive coordinator is considered the most important decision that has to be made by new coach Raheem Morris, whose expertise is defense. And the Bucs have to fill the play-calling void left by the firing of coach Jon Gruden Friday.

Linehan was an offensive coordinator with the Vikings (2002-04) and Dolphins (2005). In Minnesota, his offense ranked second, first and fourth in the NFL.

Linehan was fired in the third season of a four year contract as Rams head coach after starting the season 0-4. He was 11-25 with St. Louis.

Morris and new general manager Mark Dominik did not return messages left by the Times Sunday night.

Linehan has had a history of building NFL offenses from scratch, having accomplished that in Minnestoa and Miami.

In Tampa Bay, he would inherit the second-youngest offensive line in the NFL, a puzzle at quarterback and top receiver Antonio Bryant eligible for free agency. Brian Griese and rookie Josh Johnson are the only quarterbacks under contract for the Bucs.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think he turned it down because he was afraid to come back to St. Louis once every season.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Scott Linehan hot comodity at OC... why?

He has already turned down the ***** job and is a front runner in places like Tampa. Didn't anyone see this guy call plays here?

HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Linehan hot comodity at OC... why?

I saw him lead the Rams offense to 6th in the NFL in 06' and watched Bulger and SJ have career years under him.

A couple of notes about that 06' offense that you don't hear often either. It was second only to the Colts in most 10+ play drives and fewest 3 and outs. It was also one of the top red zone offenses in the league that year. Bulger had 22 TD's and 0 INT's in the red zone that year.

His record as an OC in what he did in Minny and Miami speaks for itself also.

I don't know why it's so difficult for people to admit that just because he sucked as a HC he does have some serious creds as an OC. There have been many discussions about good coordinators that don't make good Head Coaches. Martz as another example.

Linehan is in demand as an OC because he's very respected as an OC, which is what got him a shot as a HC to begin with. Bad HC, good OC.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    How moronic is that? Interview twice, get accepted and then turn it down because you don't want to move. Why? Why? No wonder we have been so inept for the last three years...
    He has other teams courting him. I've interviewed twice for a job before, got an offer and turned it down for a better offer somewhere else. How is that moronic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast