Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Re: Scott Linehan TURNS DOWN ***** OC job

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I think he turned it down because he was afraid to come back to St. Louis once every season.

That was my first thought too when I heard he turned it down. Playing the Rams twice a year must have scared him.

RAMPAGE! is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bulger Fan View Post
    That was my first thought too when I heard he turned it down. Playing the Rams twice a year must have scared him.
    Wishfull thinking, but lets get spags to work his magic first.

I like to think that he is slightly slow and thats why he declined

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with Hornit. The fact that he interviewed twice may well mean that he was conducting his own diligence to determine if the fit was the best for him and his family. He had made money, and he obviously doesnt need to work immediately. He has a good history of success as an offensive coordinator, why should he jump at the first job offer he gets?

People assume that just because he interviews twice it means that he is willing to take the job. I just dont follow that line of reasoning. Maybe he thought it over and changed his mind. Whats wrong with that.

Like it or not, linehan will have plenty of chances to get an OC job. Many of the same people that are bashing him today were just thrilled with the hiring in the first place and i didnt see anyone screaming when we finished his first season with three wins in a row at 8-8. Whether the failure as a head coach is relevant to a coordinator job is another story, but his track record speaks for itself. I just dont see how people can lay our injury plagued 2007 on him and our offensive line just doesnt have the talent to compete, especially with pace out so many games. People LOVED the saunders hiring, did it help much?

Good for you scott, stick to your guns. Meanwhile, you are a moron for cutting hedgehung.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Linehan has had a history of building NFL offenses from scratch, having accomplished that in Minnestoa and Miami.
    Anyone know what that is supposed to mean? As far as I know the Vikings picked up Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper in the 1998 and 1999 drafts respectively (before Linehan became OC in 2002) and they were the crucial centerpieces of the succesful offense Linehan had in Minnesota. As far as Miami he was only there for one year so I don't know how much he could have build up 'from scratch'?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What's surprising to me is that he has had several teams contact him.

I mean he only made it through our 4th game of the season before getting cut loose.

Gotta love the NFL.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Interviewing for other teams, especially twice, would almost certainly give you a bit of leverage to other teams, I would think. Maybe that's why he did it. Also, interviewing is always good practice.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If people dont want to give linehan credit for coaching good offenses just because he had good talent on those offenses, then why do they want to blame him when the offenses for the rams failed due in large part to terrible talent and/or rampant injuries to the offensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    If people dont want to give linehan credit for coaching good offenses just because he had good talent on those offenses, then why do they want to blame him when the offenses for the rams failed due in large part to terrible talent and/or rampant injuries to the offensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't know if that was directed at me or not. But I do give him credit for what he did in Minnesota and Miami, I was just curious about the 'built from scratch' quote. To me building an offense from scratch means both inventing the general scheme and playbook and then getting the players you need to carry it out - something that usually requires a couple of years in the same place. Shanahan in Denver would be one example of someone who 'built the offense from scratch' in my opinion. Linehan in Miami would definitely not, Linehan in Minnesota I'm not sure about (I don't know how much of the team he assembled, I just know he didn't get Culpepper or Moss) hence the question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12