Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Scottish Claymores fold

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1906615

GLASGOW, Scotland -- The Scottish Claymores NFL Europe franchise has folded due to falling attendance, leaving the league with only one team outside of Germany.

Shutting down the Claymores was the "toughest decision this league has ever had to make," NFL Europe managing director Jim Connelly said Thursday.

The Claymores had been in the league since 1995. The team averaged attendance of 10,800 over 10 seasons, but the numbers have dropped the past three years.

"The economics of our league and the interest shown by other cities have forced us to look at whether there are other markets that give us a greater opportunity of improving our business," Connelly said. "We believe at this time that such an opportunity exists."

The league said a new franchise will be announced "in the near future." Gelsenkirchen, Germany, has been mentioned as a likely venue.

NFL Europe, which serves as developmental league for the NFL, already has four teams in Germany -- the Frankfurt Galaxy, Berlin Thunder, Rhein Fire and Cologne Centurions. The only non-German franchise is the Amsterdam Admirals.

The league was launched in 1991 as the World League of American Football. The league, which originally featured 10 European and U.S. franchises, shut down after the 1992 season.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Scottish Claymores fold

It has always been my impression, that for anyone who has played rugby, players running around with an abundance of protection on aren't seen as particularly tough and thus not very entertaining. It's a tough sell to convince them that there is more enjoyable violence to be seen in watching men with pads on trying to hurt each other.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Am I the only one who gets a little uneasy over an organization that is made up primarily of Germans periodically invading the Netherlands?

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

The fact that the league is still around is good. I am sure the flights to the island were tough and maybe another team on the "mainland" will help.

Now, Dez and DOD can join the real fans of the Rhein Fire
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Am I the only one who gets a little uneasy over an organization that is made up primarily of Germans periodically invading the Netherlands?
    Good blitzing, though.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

LOL Bison!

elAcky Guest

NFL Europe, which serves as developmental league for the NFL
    I think this quote represents the underlying reason why NFL europe is unsuccesful...

in other words, we are going to send over our not so great players that can't make it onto an NFL squad, get you to pay to watch them and if they are any good we'll take them back thanks... and by the way, you can have one or 2 of your locals on secial teams to keep you happy.

ofcourse NFL europe is doomed.

afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    I think this quote represents the underlying reason why NFL europe is unsuccesful...

in other words, we are going to send over our not so great players that can't make it onto an NFL squad, get you to pay to watch them and if they are any good we'll take them back thanks... and by the way, you can have one or 2 of your locals on secial teams to keep you happy.

ofcourse NFL europe is doomed.
    I think you have touched on another reason why success is an uphill battle. People are much smarter than marketing executives want to give them credit for. When the Amsterdam Admirals are actually part of the NFL schedule playing teams like the Rams, then Ricky Williams can smoke dope and play football at the same time and fans are more likely to ante up their hard-earned Euros.

Lets get something correct here.

The Scottish Claymores did NOT FOLD

They were shut down even though the NFL promised that they would remain open for 2 years to allow a build up of a very sucessfull programme.

A programme that has been adopted by all the other european team.

The 10,000 fan base is very disapointed

elAcky Guest

afrightertoo, I agree.. if they want to make a go of the NFL in europe they should promote an extra conference in each of the NFL divisions i.e. 8 new teams from europe/russia/med in NFL etc... I think then they will get their attendences... besides the 4 or 5 german teams and the admirals.. the claymore, dragons, monarchs and others would bite.

the key would be making them competitive as they would also need to hav a certain number of home grown players.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Your absolutely right.....they should be invading France.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    Your absolutely right.....they should be invading France.
    Now that's what I would call politically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    afrightertoo, I agree ... if they want to make a go of the NFL in europe they should promote an extra conference in each of the NFL divisions (i.e., 8 new teams from europe/russia/med in NFL etc...), I think then they will get their attendees ... besides the 4 or 5 german teams and the admirals, ... the claymore, dragons, monarchs and others would bite.

the key would be making them competitive as they would also need to have a certain number of home grown players.
    Competition is a legitimate concern. The dilution of the level of competition would worry too many influential people. The National Hockey League of America is now facing the dilemma of how fast should expansion have been. I doubt the NFL wants to jeopardize its cash cow in favor of internationalism.

elAcky Guest

The dilution of the level of competition would worry too many influential people
    true.. but on the other hand it seems to have done basketball no harm !!!

maybe relocation of poor performing franschises to europe is an option i.e . the Berlin cardinals, Amsterdam Bengals !!

whats clear is that there current programme is failing miserably.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This may show my complete ignorance of NFL economics and infrastructure, but why can't the NFL adopt some form of a minor league system. Not as elaborate as MLB, but maybe one minor league team that is affiliated with one NFL team. That would give teams a chance to develop their fringe players and create more interest in smaller markets like Memphis, Birmingham, Portland, Orlando, Des Moines, etc.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast