tdog08 is offline Registered User

seahawks head coach mora is fired, pete carroll hired?

just heard it from the nfc west blogger from espn.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: seahawks head coach mora is fired

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    just heard it from the nfc west blogger from espn.
    Yahoo is reporting this as well...but it's not confirmed from the team ...yet.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

It's been confirmed on NFL.com, Leslie Frazier has already been lined up for an interview.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Mora fired; Carroll targeted, sources say
    By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN
    Friday, January 8, 2010

Seattle Seahawks coach Jim Mora has been fired, the first coach in team history to be let go after one season, and league sources say longtime USC coach Pete Carroll is being targeted as Mora's replacement.

Mora attended a meeting Friday morning with management, at which time he was told by Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke that he did not win enough games to save his job. The Seahawks lost their final four games to finish 5-11.

Mora was shocked by his dismissal, believing that when he was called to Lieweke's office that he they would be in discussion about the team's vacant general manager's job, Seahawks sources said.

"We've made a tough decision today," Leiweke said in a statement. "It became apparent after conducting an extensive internal audit that a new direction was needed to provide an opportunity for the organization to be successful. Today's decision, while difficult, is part of the process in building a franchise with a new vision in 2010."

As for the possibility of being courted by the Seahawks, Carroll said via text message: "You know I haven't responded to a NFL question in two years."

But a league source said Carroll is interested in the job and is trying to persuade USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to join him in Seattle -- as opposed to Bates pursuing the same position with the Chicago Bears.

Said another source close to Carroll: "You're about to see a big headline that shakes up the major college football world," in reference to the Seahawks' development. The Seahawks did not confirm Carroll as a leading candidate but also did not deny it.

The Seahawks are now charged with hiring a coach as well as a general manager; Tim Ruskell, who picked Mora to be Holmgren's replacement, resigned as GM during the season. Seattle spoke to Holmgren about the opening, but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement before the end of the regular season.

The Seahawks plan to begin interviewing general manager candidates next week.

"This team, more importantly this community, means so much to me that it hurts not being able to see this through," Mora said in a team-issued statement. "I am disappointed I did not get the chance to complete my contract. This is a tough business that sometimes demands immediate gratification."

Mora joined the Seahawks in February 2008 on a five-year contract that called for him to transition to head coach once Mike Holmgren retired. Mora was an assistant for the 2008 season, then succeeded Holmgren.

Seattle is 9-23 since its last playoff appearance in January 2008, after winning four consecutive NFC West titles.

Mora is believed to have about $12 million remaining on the final three years of his contract.

Once Mora was fired, the Seahawks called the Minnesota Vikings to seek permission to interview defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

However, a source said Frazier declined.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So after conducting an extensive internal audit Mora was fired.

What exactly is an extensive internal audit?

Did Mora rob a vending machine or something?

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So after conducting an extensive internal audit Mora was fired.

What exactly is an extensive internal audit?

Did Mora rob a vending machine or something?
    Sounds like a rubber glove could have been involved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: seahawks head coach mora is fired, pete carroll hired?

Now it seems the pete carrol from USC is on their wishlist. Not the first person i saw coming.

tdog08 is offline Registered User

They said Pete Caroll is hired basically already agreed in terms with them

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Wow, one year to make your mark and improve a team that went 4-12 the previous season is asking a lot. I guess the timing was right with "savior" Pete Carroll.

I hate Pete Carroll, so having him coach the Seahawks works perfectly!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Seahawks fire Mora, reach agreement with USC's Carroll
    NFL.com Wire Reports

The Seattle Seahawks fired Jim Mora on Friday after just one season, and have already reached an agreement with USC coach Pete Carroll, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora is reporting.

Carroll has reached an agreement with the Seahawks on the major principles in a contract to become coach and director of football operations, but has not signed a contract, according to La Canfora.

The Seahawks are moving forward with their GM search, as John Schneider and Marc Ross are still scheduled to interview for the vacancy, reports Jason La Canfora.
    Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was one of several candidates interviewed for the vacant position, league officials told La Canfora, putting the Seahawks in compliance with all regulations for their coaching search. Interviewing Frazier allowed Seattle to satisfy the Rooney Rule, in which teams have to interview at least one minority candidate for the job.

The Seahawks expect an announcement within a few days.

Carroll's agent, Gary Uberstine, did not return calls and e-mails from The Associated Press. The Seahawks are not commenting and chief executive Tod Leiweke did not return repeated messages Saturday.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reported that Seahawks chief executive Tod Leiweke and a staff of team executives, including legal counsel Lance Lopes, met with Carroll. The relationship started because of Lopes and his brother, Steve Lopes, who is on the USC staff as a senior associate athletic director, according to Lombardi.

Carroll was 6-10 in 1994 with the New York Jets and then 27-21 while twice reaching the playoffs from '97-99 with the New England Patriots. He restored a dynasty at USC beginning in 2001.

A month before firing Mora, the Seahawks forced general manager and president Tim Ruskell to resign. That left them without a coach, general manager or president less than four years after they reached the Super Bowl.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Seattle -- owned by Microsoft Corp. tycoon Paul Allen -- is believed to be offering Carroll a five-year contract worth $7 million a season to be president and coach. That would be a raise of more than $2 million annually on what Carroll is thought to be earning at USC.

University of Washington coach Steve Sarkisian, who left his friend Carroll and the Trojans 12 months ago for his first head coaching job, chuckled when asked if he'd like to be a head coach in the same city as his mentor.

Elaine Thompson / Associated Press
    Jim Mora was the first coach in Seahawks history to be let go after just one season with the team.

Seahawks' all-time coaches
    Coach Season(s) W-L
    Jim Mora 2009 5-11*
    Mike Holmgren 1999-2008 91-85
    Dennis Erickson 1995-1998 5-11*
    Tom Flores 1992-1994 14-34*
    Chuck Knox 1983-1991 80-63
    Jack Patera 1976-1982 48-69
    * Did not make playoffs
    "That'd be kind of fun," Sarkisian said.

"I'm so used to hearing people talk about Pete Carroll going to the NFL, they've been saying it for the last seven years when I was with him, so it's not new to me," Sarkisian said. "It doesn't surprise me at all. Every year. You can't find a year in the last seven years where it hasn't been brought up."

Leiweke, acting on the orders of owner Paul Allen, fired Mora during a morning meeting at team headquarters, ending a four-week internal evaluation the CEO conducted of his floundering franchise.

Hours later, the team confirmed the firing in a news release. On Sunday, Mora finished his only season in Seattle 5-11, after taking over his hometown team at the end of Mike Holmgren's tenure. Mora had three years and almost $12 million remaining on his contract.

"We've made a tough decision today," Leiweke said. "It became apparent after conducting an extensive internal audit that a new direction was needed to provide an opportunity for the organization to be successful. Today's decision, while difficult, is part of the process in building a franchise with a new vision in 2010."

Leiweke called Mora "truly a standup man, who gave his full effort to our franchise."

"Coach mora will be missed," Seattle defensive end Darryl Tapp posted on his Twitter page.

Seattle is 9-23 since its last playoff appearance in January 2008, after four consecutive NFC West titles.

"This team, more importantly this community, means so much to me that it hurts not being able to see this through," Mora said in the team statement. "I am disappointed I did not get the chance to complete my contract. This is a tough business that sometimes demands immediate gratification."

GM and president Tim Ruskell took the initial fall for the Seahawks' flop when he was fired Dec. 3. Leiweke noted then that Mora was steward of a rocky transition from Holmgren's regime to one with a new offense, new defense and almost entirely new coaching staff.

Leiweke said last month he expected Mora to return for a second season.

Seattle was one of eight teams to have a new head coach and largely new staffs in 2009. Half of those teams improved their win totals: the Browns and Seahawks each gained one win over '08; the Chiefs and Lions were plus-2.

"Maybe I oversold" optimism before the season, Mora said. "It was harder than we thought."

Mora's first season following Holmgren's mostly glorious decade in Seattle was in sharp contrast to his rookie season as a head coach in Atlanta in 2004. That year, Mora took what had been a 5-11 Falcons team to the NFC championship game.

This time, the Seahawks' injured and ineffective offensive line wrecked new offensive coordinator Greg Knapp's running game -- and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck's health. The three-time Pro Bowl passer missed 2˝ games, then played through broken ribs, a sore passing shoulder and thumb injury, while throwing a career-high 17 interceptions.

The defense, under rookie coordinator Gus Bradley, failed to generate a consistent pass rush and the small secondary often looked overmatched.

The 48-year-old Mora, who grew up and attended high school and college in the Seattle area, returned in 2007 to become Holmgren's assistant head coach and defensive backs coach with the Seahawks. He then replaced Holmgren, with the announcement coming in early 2008 a year before he took the job in what the team said was an effort to smooth the transition.

So much for smooth.

On Wednesday, Mora said he considered it a civic duty of his to bring the Seahawks their first championship.

"This is where I plan on living the rest of my life," he said, "and I want to be able to walk around this city and feel proud of the work I did for the Seattle Seahawks."

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Dunno which makes me happier; that The Hags are in disarray or that they might hire Carroll who pretty much sucked as an NFL HC. I don't think he was even that great at USC, he's a better recruiter than coach. Pretty hard to lose with all the talent that school amasses year after year. Not the same when you have to draft & then coach grown men.

I'd much rather face a Carroll team than one led by Leslie Frazier who was my fav candidate for The Rams job since I thought we had no chance to get the red-hot Spags.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-10-2010 at 06:03 AM.