throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Seahawks rookie WR Tate caught trespassing in donut shop over the weekend

NFL Star Rookie in Shady Donut Shop Debacle
    Originally posted Jun 8th 2010 10:40 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

Seattle Seahawks rookie wide receiver Golden Tate had an encounter with police this weekend, but this story has a serious twist ... because it all went down inside a donut shop.

TMZ has learned the former Notre Dame football star was caught trespassing inside a Top Pot donut shop in Bellevue, Washington at 3 AM Saturday morning.

Cops would only confirm that Tate was given a "trespass warning" -- and was not arrested -- but they wouldn't expand on why the 21-year-old was inside the store while it was closed.

We spoke to the manager of the Top Pot shop ... who said he would not be commenting on the matter. On a related note, Top Pot recently inked a deal to become the official coffee and donut partner of Qwest Field -- home of the Seattle Seahawks.

Calls to Tate's rep have not been returned.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Seahawks rookie WR Tate caught trespassing in donut shop over the weekend

This story is rather amusing...

Golden Tate and the lure of Top Pot maple bars
    Posted by Danny O'Neil

Seahawks rookie Golden Tate answered questions about the incident over the weekend. He was not cited nor arrested, but he did receive a warning for trespassing after he fell victim to the lure of Top Pot Doughnut's maple bars.

Now, one thing to clarify. Tate lives in the building where the donut shop is located.

"A buddy made the mistake of going in, grabbing a couple," Tate said. "We ate them. Nothing much to the story other than that.

"Very apologetic to it. This is the wrong type of media I want to bring to the organization. I apologize to the team, the coaches and even Top Pot. As of now, I think that's the end of it."

There was no ticket, just a warning Tate said.

"Just kind of said, 'Don't do it again,' " Tate said. "Which I won't."

So, was it the smell that lured him in?

"When I got here, it was one of the first things I had," Tate said. "I heard about it. They're irresistible. It was kind of a foolish mistake that won't happen again. If you ever want some maple bars, that's the place to go."

As for any lessons learned from the incident?

"I'm very embarrassed to even have my name a part of this," he said. "Before now, I've never had some trouble in any type of school or anything. I'd rather learn on this than have something a few months or years down the road that's a lot bigger and me being arrested or cited for something. So this is definitely a lesson learned for me, and next time, I'm just going to have my buddy go in and buy them instead."

Of course that will mean waiting until the shop opens.

As for the coach, well he understands the temptation. It was the timing of his receiver that was at issue, not his taste or sense of smell.

"I'm not disappointed in a guy being in a donut when they've got maple bars like Top Pot has," coach Pete Carroll said. "However, under the circumstances I think they were closed or they were trying to closed or something like that. "So that's definitely one we talked about it, and he's most remorseful about it and all that. I do understand the allure of the maple bars."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

What the heck is a maple bar? It doesn't even sound good.

Kind of a silly situation though, nothing that really seems like an issue that threatens problems in the future.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

All I can say is D-U-M-B!!

We spoke to the manager of the Top Pot shop ... who said he would not be commenting on the matter. On a related note, Top Pot recently inked a deal to become the official coffee and donut partner of Qwest Field -- home of the Seattle Seahawks.
    Wow, what a coincidence. No charges filed, donut shop owner has a deal with the Seahawks home field. Sounds like something that would happen in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Every donut shop has them. They're like a rectangular donut with maple icing on top. They actually are pretty good. You should try one.

chancelandusa Guest

Kind of a silly situation though, nothing that really seems like an issue that threatens problems in the future.

HEY BRO maple is the first word in maple bar (maple syrup)you definitely need to try one

seems like it worked out good for top pot amazing what professional players get away with

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

It's a pretty obvious publicity stunt between the seahags and their new sponsor. Just a creative form of advertisement I'd bet. And maple bars are delicious BTW, my favorite donut by a mile.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I'd try one except that I have a steep hatred of filling or anything on top of a donut other than glaze, chocolate or something similar. Not a big fan of maple taste either. Could really go for blue or gold donut right about now though for some reason.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

I'd try one except that I have a steep hatred of filling or anything on top of a donut other than glaze, chocolate or something similar. Not a big fan of maple taste either. Could really go for blue or gold donut right about now though for some reason.
    Me neither. I never was a fan of filling in donut. I prefer the original glaze.

Warm Krispy Kreme Doughnuts...mmmhmm

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

This doesn't sound like trespassing, it sounds like breaking and entering. Which is what police can charge you with even if you dont steal anything, all you gotta have is the intent, which in Tate's case, was maple bars. But I live in CA, so maybe WA is more lenient.