Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Seahawks sign FS Deon Grant

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/

Free-agent safety Deon Grant has signed a six-year deal with Seattle that could pay him more than $30 million. Grant apparently accompanied his agent, Mitch Frankel, to Seattle tonight so they could finish this deal. I don't have all specifics, but it's clear Grant is going to be a starting safety for the Seahawks in 2007. That kind of money would make him among the highest-paid safeties in the league. ESPN.com's John Clayton notes that Grant's bonus exceeds the $11.1 million paid to Cowboys safety Roy Williams.

----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Seahawks sign FS Deon Grant

Pretty solid addition for Seattle. I'd say they overspent a bit but in this market who hasn't?

No kiddking though. The spending has been CRAZY this offseason. Anyway, good signings on both Bennett and McMichael. At least on offense, the Rams are seriously re-loading.

I think the NFC West is goona be a lot better this year. The only offseason I'm not impressed with so far is the Cardinals. They been pretty stagnent.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Is he an upgrade over what the Hawks had now that Ken Hamlin seems to be leaving? I thik Hamlin and Grant play different positions though, but im not certain

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant View Post
    No kiddking though. The spending has been CRAZY this offseason. Anyway, good signings on both Bennett and McMichael. At least on offense, the Rams are seriously re-loading.

I think the NFC West is goona be a lot better this year. The only offseason I'm not impressed with so far is the Cardinals. They been pretty stagnent.
    Mind boggling that last season the Cardinals main problem was the O-line. Yet Dallas signs the Moose from the Cards. Meaning the Cards best O-lineman got away and they haven't done anything about it????

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think its an excellent pickup for the hawks. However, they havent addressed the loss of hutch and they will be paying the price for that for years. I really think the front office completely screwed that situation up, they were so shortsighted.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think its an excellent pickup for the hawks. However, they havent addressed the loss of hutch and they will be paying the price for that for years. I really think the front office completely screwed that situation up, they were so shortsighted.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I have a whole different take on that. I actually think they did the right thing in good faith in an attempt to avoid the same snafu that they went through with Walter Jones. If they had franchise tagged him, they'd be right back in the same situation this year with him only the price for one year of service would have been $9.5M. I think they gave him the opportunity to see what his market value was and intended to match, only to be screwed by the most ill-spirited poison pill of all time. I think their intention was good. Anyway, they would have of course offered him the $7M a year that he got if they had known what the market would be this year but hindsight is 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Is he an upgrade over what the Hawks had now that Ken Hamlin seems to be leaving? I thik Hamlin and Grant play different positions though, but im not certain
    They actually play the same position and Grant is believed to be an upgrade because he can cover better and wraps up when tackling rather going for the "woo" hit. But they do play the same position. Some have discussed the possibility of bringing Hamlin back as a SS but at them moment - for whatever reason - the organization doesn't appear interested in bringing Hamlin back at all.

general counsel is offline Registered User

But my point Large Ant was the hutch was way too valuable to allow him to go into his free agency year unsigned. He should have been locked up the year before. I dont believe its 20-20 hindsight at all to say that its been foreseable all along that the cap would continue to go up in a material way. Maybe not quite to the extent that it has, but soaring league revenues havent exactly snuck up on anyone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant View Post
    They actually play the same position and Grant is believed to be an upgrade because he can cover better and wraps up when tackling rather going for the "woo" hit. But they do play the same position. Some have discussed the possibility of bringing Hamlin back as a SS but at them moment - for whatever reason - the organization doesn't appear interested in bringing Hamlin back at all.
    Does the Squawks distaste for Hamlin have anything to do with his off field bar fight incident? Just a few years ago it was being said that Kenny was on his way to upper echelon, if not elite status at the safety position. What in the world happened?

WHAT SAY YE?

Seahawk_For_Life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    But my point Large Ant was the hutch was way too valuable to allow him to go into his free agency year unsigned. He should have been locked up the year before. I dont believe its 20-20 hindsight at all to say that its been foreseable all along that the cap would continue to go up in a material way. Maybe not quite to the extent that it has, but soaring league revenues havent exactly snuck up on anyone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Your right, he was valuable, and the use of the transition tag was used to facilitate a long term contract. Instead of the year to year franchise scenario's you see teams and players get locked into.

Too bad Hutch showed no class or loyalty to a team that tried to let him discover his market value with the intention of matching it.
    "We were facing the No. 1 offense in the National Football League", Vitt said.