ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Seahawks | Team reportedly leaning to matching Hutchinson's offer sheet

Seahawks | Team reportedly leaning to matching Hutchinson's offer sheet
    Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:00:41 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports it now looks like the Seattle Seahawks are leaning towards matching the offer sheet that transition free agent OG Steve Hutchinson (Seahawks) signed with the Minnesota Vikings. The team has until Monday, March 20, to make its decision, but if it were made today, it would be match.

BRUUUUUUUUCE

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Seahawks | Team reportedly leaning to matching Hutchinson's offer sheet

i would love for the seahags to match the offer so they have to give the man 50million in guarenteed money which is totally alright with me,... they could not sign juian peterson or anyone else if this happens... im all for it

general counsel is offline Registered User

They will still have money left to sign other guys. It will however, limit them for sure. Keep in mind that while its cap oppressive this year, it will give them plenty of room next year and beyond and the contract is very user friendly after year one cap wise. I think i would prefer to see them let him go. the key to their team is their o line and i dont see replacing this guy. as we have learned here, the line is a unit and this is a key guy, worth a lot more than just one guy out of five. if they have to go into the free agent market to spend the money, there is a lot higher crap out value. peterson for example has been hurt quite a bit. i would much rather see him on the hawks than hutch.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

I'm completely on the fence on this one. I'm just gonna let it play out and accept it either way. I'm gettin' tired of the rumors and I just want to know what's ultimately going to happen.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant
    I'm completely on the fence on this one. I'm just gonna let it play out and accept it either way. I'm gettin' tired of the rumors and I just want to know what's ultimately going to happen.
    Am I correct in that the deadline to match is Monday?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

i would like to see them let him go also. I thought the deal was too rich for the hawks to match.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Seahawks | Hutchinson's fate delayed
    Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:34:00 -0800

Gregg Bell, of the Associated Press, reports the future fate of Seattle Seahawks transition free agent OG Steve Hutchinson will be decided by an arbitration process. That will delay the Sunday deadline, March 19, for the team to match an offer to Hutchinson by the Minnesota Vikings. The NFL Players Association said Friday, March 17, that the league has filed a claim on behalf of the Seahawks contending a clause in the offer sheet Hutchinson signed with the Vikings last weekend circumvents the league's labor contract. The clause in question would guarantee Hutchinson the entire contract sum if Hutchinson is not the team's highest-paid offensive lineman. NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed that the NFL had filed the case. Richard Berthelsen, general counsel for the NFLPA, said the union will argue against the Seahawks' and league's claims. "They say the clause circumvents our collective bargaining agreement. It is our belief that it does not," Berthelsen said. Berthelsen said the union's interpretation of the issue is that the clause is permitted by the CBA because it is a "principal term" of the agreement.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE