Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
  1. #16
    BlueTalon's Avatar
    BlueTalon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Seahawks | Three of the four disputed Super Bowl CL calls were correct

    I'm not sure if I disagree with you or not. If by "putting it in perspective" you mean quit trying to improve the officiating or accepting the status quo, I'll respectully decline to agree.

    Right now, there are two perspectives -- the officiating sucks, or the officiating doesn't suck. There's a lot of room for getting better before we should even be having the discussion of putting things in perspective, IMO.

    With regards to your goal-line/down-by-contact example, a ball tracking system would do two things -- it would tell the refs if the ball did in fact cross the goal line, and it would be another tool to add to replay to help them determine whether the down-by-contact occurred before the ball crossed the goal line or not.

    For an example of something I'd penalize refs financially for, I give you the Denver/New England game. When that turnover was being run back the entire length of the field, and that Patriots TE came out of nowhere and pummeled (I think it was Champ Bailey) out of bounds at the 1 and the ball went through the end zone, that should have been a touchback. One of the most brilliant athletic displays I've ever seen could have been a game turner, had it not been for some lazy/incompetent/distracted refs.


  2. #17
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,303
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Seahawks | Three of the four disputed Super Bowl CL calls were correct

    Quote Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX
    The Seahawks played good enough to win if the game was officiated down the middle.
    I really hope you're not serious.

    I agree with Pereira in that there was one completely incorrect call, and that was the call made on Hasselbeck after the INT. I also agree that the officiating needs to improve. But even after the penalties, the Seahawks had multiple chances to win this game and blew it themselves.

    Blaming others for your team's shortcomings and not recognizing their failures will get you no where. For your sake, I hope your coaching staff has a different mindset, but since Holmgren is still complaining about the officials, it's hard to say.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-02-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  3. #18
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,250
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Seahawks | Three of the four disputed Super Bowl CL calls were correct

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I really hope you're not serious.

    I agree with Pereira in that there was one completely incorrect call, and that was the call made on Hasselbeck after the INT. I also agree that the officiating needs to improve. But even after the penalties, the Seahawks had multiple chances to win this game and blew it themselves.

    Blaming others for your team's shortcomings and not recognizing their failures will get you no where. For your sake, I hope your coaching staff has a different mindset, but since Holmgren is still complaining about the officials, it's hard to say.
    Absolutely correct. Seattle fans need to accept the fact that the Seahawks did not play their best and it cost them. End of story.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -04-02-2006 at 05:53 PM.

  4. #19
    BlueTalon's Avatar
    BlueTalon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Seahawks | Three of the four disputed Super Bowl CL calls were correct

    The Seahawks played good enough to win if the game was officiated down the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I agree with Pereira in that there was one completely incorrect call, and that was the call made on Hasselbeck after the INT. I also agree that the officiating needs to improve. But even after the penalties, the Seahawks had multiple chances to win this game and blew it themselves.
    Do people get booted around here for disagreeing with mods? (Because your capacity for rational thought on this issue is suspect.)

    It took Pit 20 minutes just to get a first down. Their entire game consisted of 3 big plays and a TD gift. You can talk about Seattle not making plays, but Pittsburgh wasn't making plays all over the place, too.

    If the refs called the game as tight against the Steelers as they did against the Seahawks, that record breaking run gets called back. If they call the game as loose against the Seahawks as they did against the Steelers, the Jackson TD stands and the Seahawks have the ball inside the Steeler 5 yard line instead of throwing the interception.

    Either way, that original quote is accurate. I'm not saying that the Seahawks would have won for sure had the officiating been evenly applied, but they certainly would have had a legitimate shot at it.
    Last edited by BlueTalon; -04-02-2006 at 09:38 PM.

  5. #20
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Seahawks | Three of the four disputed Super Bowl CL calls were correct

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon
    Do people get booted around here for disagreeing with mods? (Because your capacity for rational thought on this issue is suspect.)

    It took Pit 20 minutes just to get a first down. Their entire game consisted of 3 big plays and a TD gift. You can talk about Seattle not making plays, but Pittsburgh wasn't making plays all over the place, too.

    If the refs called the game as tight against the Steelers as they did against the Seahawks, that record breaking run gets called back. If they call the game as loose against the Seahawks as they did against the Steelers, the Jackson TD stands and the Seahawks have the ball inside the Steeler 5 yard line instead of throwing the interception.

    Either way, that original quote is accurate. I'm not saying that the Seahawks would have won for sure had the officiating been evenly applied, but they certainly would have had a legitimate shot at it.
    When did they play tight against the seahawks? In the first quarter on the late hit by your lineman 4 seconds after the play was over? They didn't even call that penalty.

    There was four penalties that the Seahawks are complaining about, one of them was a mistake. Four plays don't decide a game.

    Willie Parker got a Rookie Record for the Superbowl on one play. Was that the Ref's fault?

    Was it the Ref's Fault when Randle El threw a long bomb down to Hines Ward, and he blew your Defender by over 5 yards? Was it the refs fault that the Roethlisberger touchdown was watched tons of times and they still came out with the same conclusion?
    Was it the Ref's fault that Stevens dropped 2/3 dead on passes, one which would have gotten a touchdown?

    That play where you say that the defender is offside on the Holding by the Seahawks. He was not offside, you're viewing the clip without sound, of course a Linebacker is going to start the play off faster than an O-Lineman.

  6. #21
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,303
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Seahawks | Three of the four disputed Super Bowl CL calls were correct

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon
    Do people get booted around here for disagreeing with mods? (Because your capacity for rational thought on this issue is suspect.)
    You can't get booted for disagreeing with them, but you're probably walking a fine line by suggesting any poster is irrational simply because he/she doesn't agree with how you see things.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon
    You can talk about Seattle not making plays, but Pittsburgh wasn't making plays all over the place, too.
    They weren't making them all over the place, but they did make the ones necessary to win the game.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon
    Either way, that original quote is accurate.
    Not in my opinion.

    Poor clock management, Hasselbeck's turnover, drops, an inability to finish off drives. All of those equated to Seattle not playing well enough to win, and all of them fall right in a lap colored not black and white, but navy and green.

    Let's look at one situation - the Jackson push off. Even after the penalty, Seattle had a first down and 20 to go on the Pittsburgh 26... and couldn't get into the end zone. Seattle's league MVP rushed twice for... minus three yards. Nice of him to show up. On third and 23, the conversion failed. Field goal.

    Later in the half, Pittsburgh's Heath Miller was called for offensive pass interference, which I guess Seahawks fans completely forget when they whine about the refs not calling Pittsburgh for the same stuff they were getting called for.

    Anyways, that penalty put the Steelers on the Seattle 32-yard line, second down and 20 to go. Roethlisberger gets sacked, and Pittsburgh faces a 3rd and 28 situation. How do THEY respond? Well, Pittsburgh found a way to get the first down, and eventually get the touchdown.

    Oh wait, it wasn't a touchdown. Nevermind that the video evidence was not conclusive enough to show it wasn't. You'd think something that was so blatently not a touchdown would come across on the video, but multiple viewings at even the slowest speed don't show it definitively either way. And even if it wasn't, Big Ben is on record saying they would have gone for it. And given their fourth down playoff conversion rate of 100%, chances are they would have gotten in.

    You're going to get no argument from me if you claimed that Pittsburgh's offense was not impressive. Big Ben had perhaps the worst game of his career. But the bottom line is they stepped up and made the plays they needed to to win the game, even when they were penalized and had to dig themselves out of a hole. Seattle did not. Therefore, IMO, they did not play well enough to win this game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •