Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Mike Shanahan has just been named the new head coach of the Washington Redskins, a 5 year deal. There's already much opitimism, in the nations capitol, for upcoming 2010 NFL season.
    Many believe that Mikes' hiring puts the Redskins back in the playoff picture. The Rams hiring of Steve Spagnuolo last off season (out the blue), may have caught some by surprise and after a less than thrilling (1-15) first season as Rams head coach, many Saint Louis fans are left with mixed emotions about his ability to lead the Rams in a positive direction.

    The Rams had their chances when it came time to make the moves that would point them in that right direction. Shanahan should have been given the most consideration when the Rams were looking to hire a HC last year. In fact, at least 5 other choices should have been sought after before Spags.
    In Washington its "Happy days are here again!", Meanwhile, In Saint Louis they can only kick themselves thinking about the 'One that got Away!'

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Mike Shanahan is one of those coaches (Bill Cowher is another) who can pretty much name the place where he will coach. St. Louis as a market does not bring enough to the table to sway him. The Rams rightly recognized this and went after a guy they could hire.

  3. #3
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    I may be remembering this wrong, but I remember Shanahan being adamant that he was not coming back last year.


    gap

  4. #4
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,086
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Spag's was one of the most coveted coaches for our last year...

  5. #5
    DieHard23's Avatar
    DieHard23 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Peters
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    With the state of the post-2008 rams and the relatively small market in St Louis, we should consider ourselves lucky to have been able to hire one of the hottest candidates on the market at the time. Certainly someone I didn't think we had the firepower to bring in. For all the hoopla in Washington right now, at this point in the offseason Shanahan is just this year's Jay Cutler.

  6. #6
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,020
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Mike Shanahan has just been named the new head coach of the Washington Redskins, a 5 year deal. There's already much opitimism, in the nations capitol, for upcoming 2010 NFL season.
    Many believe that Mikes' hiring puts the Redskins back in the playoff picture. The Rams hiring of Steve Spagnuolo last off season (out the blue), may have caught some by surprise and after a less than thrilling (1-15) first season as Rams head coach, many Saint Louis fans are left with mixed emotions about his ability to lead the Rams in a positive direction.

    The Rams had their chances when it came time to make the moves that would point them in that right direction. Shanahan should have been given the most consideration when the Rams were looking to hire a HC last year. In fact, at least 5 other choices should have been sought after before Spags.
    In Washington its "Happy days are here again!", Meanwhile, In Saint Louis they can only kick themselves thinking about the 'One that got Away!'
    I can't believe I'm responding to one of your rediculous threads but here goes.

    Where do you get this stuff? Spags was not out of the Blue as you called it. Rex Ryan and Spags were the two hottest head coaching canidates after last season ended. Shannahan also stated he was not ready for a coaching position last year. He would not have come here anyway, we have no peices to the puzzle he wants to work with. The Redskins already have a tough defense and a good offensive line.

    Go be a Redskin fan if this is really how your feel. I'm not sure your allegiance is to the Rams anyway with some of this crap you post on this site half the time. In St. Louis who besides you is even thinking this non-sense?

    What's the sense, I should have just kept ignoring your posts but no I got sucked into the stupidity again..
    Just Fix It

  7. #7
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,093
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I may be remembering this wrong, but I remember Shanahan being adamant that he was not coming back last year.


    gap
    I believe that you are correct. Shanniy wasn't going to coach anywhere last year after getting kicked in the gut by Denver.

    Looks like he has recovered and is ready to get back in the saddle again.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  8. #8
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    i love this guy...I guess shanny would have came in and turned us into a superbowl competitor...

  9. #9
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I can't believe I'm responding to one of your rediculous threads but here goes.

    Where do you get this stuff? Spags was not out of the Blue as you called it. Rex Ryan and Spags were the two hottest head coaching canidates after last season ended. Shannahan also stated he was not ready for a coaching position last year. He would not have come here anyway, we have no peices to the puzzle he wants to work with. The Redskins already have a tough defense and a good offensive line.

    Go be a Redskin fan if this is really how your feel. I'm not sure your allegiance is to the Rams anyway with some of this crap you post on this site half the time. In St. Louis who besides you is even thinking this non-sense?

    What's the sense, I should have just kept ignoring your posts but no I got sucked into the stupidity again..
    Not sure I could have said it any more clearly than that.

    Some posters seem to have taken a left at Controversy Avenue and continued all the way through to Trollville.

    At this rate we can expect that everytime a team in the NFL makes an off-season move of whatever description, the usual suspect is going to appear on the boards and portray it as another Rams gaffe irrespective of how ridiculous it makes them appear.

  10. #10
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    many Saint Louis fans are left with mixed emotions about his ability to lead the Rams in a positive direction.

    If by "many" you mean you and a hand full of logically challenged fans... then I agree with this statement.

  11. #11
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,268
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    Mike Shanahan, Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren were all guys who had enough clout to dictate where they wanted to land- and that immediately left St. Louis out of the mix. The recent state of their organization made it an unattractive job to a proven coach. As others rightly pointed out, Spags was one of the top "hot" candidates of a year ago, and many felt we had no shot at even him. I don't recall too many people being utterly disappointed when we hired him. I for one applauded the move.

    While the jury is certainly out on whether or not Spags is the guy to lead the Rams back to respectability, second guessing the hire is ridiculous and thinking we could have gotten Shanahan instead is delusional.

  12. #12
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    He was hardly the "one that got away". The Redskins job is attractive for him because he expects to be able to pick his own players, and Snyder has the money to get just about whoever he wants. The Rams would not have given him that authority and don't have the deep pockets to spend so cavalierly.

    And for that matter, at least some accounts in the D.C. newspapers suggest that part of the reason Zorn got the Skins head coaching job in the first place was because Spagnuolo turned it down.

  13. #13
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,045
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    The one who got away? Were we ever pursuing him? Has he even coached a game for Washington yet? I'm so confused...

  14. #14
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    46
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    I think everything is going as planned, the Rams hired this bum we have now knowing he would fail so that in 2011 when Cowher decides to coach we can fire Spags and hire him. But if Bill decides not to come back then I read the other day that Bowden has decided he doesn't want to stop coaching and may come here instead, unless Paterno beats him to it. It's also been rumored that the Rams have been sold and are moving to Anchorage for the 2012 season in which case Sarah Palin is going to be the coach, that's why she had to step down as governor. Conflict of interest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  15. #15
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,739
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

    This is ridiculous. Shanahan didn't want to coach last year, and this year he was either going Washington or holding out to see if the Cowboys job would open up. I don't get some "fans" who think that if the Rams want someone they can just go out and get them. We were lucky enough to get Spags, who was one of the hottest names on the coaching market last offseason. I also don't think Shanahan, Cowher or anyone would have done much better than Spags did with this roster devoid of talent as it is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
  2. Mike Shanahan?
    By laram0 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-09-2009, 05:26 PM
  3. Shanahan?
    By RamsFanSam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: -01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
  4. Broncos Fire HC Shanahan
    By smizzhfx in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: -01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
  5. For the "Jackson Stinks" Crowd: Explain This
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: -12-27-2005, 08:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •