Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Slug is offline Registered User

Re: SHANAHAN / The one that got away

FWIW, we 'skins fans get to do this dance every off-season it seems. We're perennial off-season champions. Rarely though, at least for the past decade or so, does it ever mean anything when it comes time to actually play football. So if I were you, I'd wait a bit before lamenting that ya missed out on the Shanahan wagon; it might end up not being a ride anyone really wanted to be on.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    FWIW, we 'skins fans get to do this dance every off-season it seems. We're perennial off-season champions. Rarely though, at least for the past decade or so, does it ever mean anything when it comes time to actually play football. So if I were you, I'd wait a bit before lamenting that ya missed out on the Shanahan wagon; it might end up not being a ride anyone really wanted to be on.
    I'd have to agree with that sentiment. You guys always seem to make a huge off-season splash, only to fall a bit short.

Orakpo seemed like a hit though, right? How was Haynesworth for you? I didn't hear anything about him until he started questioning the coaching, so I assume he wasn't living up to potential. (although who could with that kind of price tag?)

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I'd have to agree with that sentiment. You guys always seem to make a huge off-season splash, only to fall a bit short.

Orakpo seemed like a hit though, right? How was Haynesworth for you? I didn't hear anything about him until he started questioning the coaching, so I assume he wasn't living up to potential. (although who could with that kind of price tag?)
    Orakpo hit big, but FWIW our draft picks have largely been successful. Our college scouting is top notch and we've been able to find talent in the early and late rounds both. It's the signings outside of that, that seem to bite us in the rear. We trade away draft picks in nonsensical trades for veterans with little regard to team chemistry. So while we draft well we generally don't have many selections to work with. This model results in a team that is top-heavy in talent, but thin on quality depth and developmental potential. An environment where starting injuries aren't just inconvenient..they're crippling. Another symptom of this model is a large roster turnover every season which throws things like cohesion and continuity out the window. Gibbs mellowed out Snyder a lot. Now with the hiring of a real GM in Bruce Allen, I'm hopeful that we can begin team building properly, with an eye to the future and not just the "right now".

Haynesworth has been a mixed bag. I certainly can't say that I believe he's lived up to the expectation of his contract due to how much time he has missed with random, nagging injuries. However when he has played he has been effective. I'd like to see how he does after a full off-season in our conditioning programs and gelling with the rest of the guys on the D-Line. Andre Carter + Albert Haynesworth + Brian Orakpo year 2..that's got scary potential.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Just to reiterate basically what a lot of others have said, Spags has been great in my book. A new coach isn't a panacea that can come in and turn a team around in less than a year. A coach provides the guidance and long-term direction that can lead a team in the right (or wrong) direction, but it doesn't work overnight. Give Spags a chance - in my mind, I like his calm, focused, unwavering approach to the clueless Linehan or a "fiery" Haslett. I'd also take Spags over Shanahan any day.

Funny that you mention the mood in DC, because I work in DC and just this morning we were talking about Shanahan's hiring and somebody said "well he's managed to win 1 playoff game without Elway his entire career, so we'll see I guess." That was in line with what other Skins fans thought as well. Pretty much the consensus among those I talked to was "meh."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Funny that you mention the mood in DC, because I work in DC and just this morning we were talking about Shanahan's hiring and somebody said "well he's managed to win 1 playoff game without Elway his entire career, so we'll see I guess." That was in line with what other Skins fans thought as well. Pretty much the consensus among those I talked to was "meh."
    Yeah, we're gun shy about getting too hopeful. We've learned to be cautiously optimistic. I mean, I don't have any problem with the guy and I'm sure he'll be an improvement, but you aren't going to be able to skate on rep alone with this crowd. You gotta put up.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Hopefully, with Shanahan and Allen coming in, the Skins fans wont have to put up with such ridiculous offseason moves as giving the most expensive contract ever for a safety (at the time) to Adam Archuleta!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12