Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Shanahan: RG3 won't play in preseason

Rambos is offline Registered User

Shanahan: RG3 won't play in preseason

RICHMOND, Va. (AP)

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan says there's "no possibility" Robert Griffin III will play in the preseason, rebuffing the quarterback's public lobbying effort from earlier in the day.

PAIN TRAIN
    Jeremy Maclin was the first big name to fall. What other NFL players have suffered major injuries in 2013?

Shanahan also said Monday he's made no deal with Griffin about being patient during training camp in exchange for a promise to play in Week 1 of the regular season.

The coach said the plan is for Griffin to play in Week 1, but it won't happen if there's a setback involving Griffin's knee.

Asked about Griffin's frustration over being limited in practice, Shanahan said: "I like people that want to go."

Shanahan said Griffin will take some 11-on-11 snaps for the first time on Wednesday, a day later than Griffin was expecting.
    Anyone else think RG3 needs to shut up about playing and how much work he wants to do in camp? The guy is coming off like he knows more about how to handle his injury then the coaching staff and the doctors. If RG3 gets rolled up on in 11 on 11 and has a huge set back it's going to be his fault IMO. I like the fact he wants to play but really dude get a clue.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Are there quotes or a video of his comments? It's kind of hard to make a judgment on how he comes across without that kind of info.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: Shanahan: RG3 won't play in preseason

Redskins' Shanahan nixes RG3's latest lobbying

By JOSEPH WHITE (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 1 hour 25 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- The opposing wills of a headstrong coach and an equally headstrong franchise player faced off again Monday, with Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan rebuffing Robert Griffin III's latest lobbying effort to play in the preseason.

Shanahan also said he has no private deal with Griffin about playing in Week 1 of the regular season, as implied by the quarterback. As far as Griffin's statements about neither liking nor fully understanding Shanahan's practice plan for the QB, the coach reiterated that it's not his job to do everything to Griffin's liking.

''First of all, I love it when somebody wants to play, I love it when somebody wants to be out there,'' Shanahan said. ''That's a good problem to have as a head coach. But my job is to make sure we do the best thing for Robert. ... Not to necessarily to do what he likes, but to do what's the best thing for him and this organization.

''My job is to get him ready for the first game, and that's what we're hoping can do.''

Shanahan spoke about six hours after Griffin. The to-and-fro is the ongoing fallout from the playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks in January, when Griffin clearly reinjured his right knee yet remained in the game. He didn't want to take himself out, and Shanahan left him in until the knee finally gave out, leading to reconstructive surgery. Griffin never hesitates to remind everyone that the coach made a mistake that day, and Shanahan is equally determined to not to repeat it, even if it makes Griffin unhappy.

The coach he could have brought Griffin back three weeks ago.

''I could (have brought) Robert back three weeks ago,'' Shanahan said. ''We could be sitting here right now, him practicing three or three weeks ago and all of a sudden something happens with that ACL and we're sitting here saying, 'Well, we should've waited an extra week or two.'''

Shanahan has allowed Griffin to run 7-on-7 drills during training camp but not full 11-on-11s, saying that the unpredictability of those plays could lead to sudden movements that could reinjure Griffin's knee. Griffin was psyched about getting to run his first 11-on-11 plays on Tuesday, saying it would make him feel like ''a football player'' again. However, Shanahan said Griffin's 11-on-11 work won't start until Wednesday and that it will be only a ''couple of reps'' to help the team prepare for Saturday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Griffin is so anxious to play that he suited up in full pads for last week's preseason opener even though he knew he wouldn't take the field.

''Let's get that straight: I want to play in the preseason,'' Griffin said. ''Coaches are saying if things go great these next couple of days and next week, then maybe. But it's a hard 'no' right now. It's my job to make that a soft 'no' and possibly a 'yes.'''

It's still a hard 'no.' The coach said there's ''no possibility'' Griffin will play in the preseason. He said Dr. James Andrews, who performed Griffin's surgery, recommended that the QB not play in the preseason and not practice at full-speed.

Griffin's news conference began with a new catchphrase - ''new phase, new hair'' - because he was wearing cornrows instead of his usual dreadlocks. He said he's proven he can protect himself, and that he's ''dang near close to 100 percent.'' He said he didn't like that his practice plan was ''fixed'' ahead of time without any regard as to how his knee was progressing in rehab.

''Like Coach said - he's 100 percent right - I don't have to understand it,'' Griffin said. ''I don't have to like it. But at the end of the day, if he plays me Week 1 and I'm ready to go, then I'll give him a salute and I'll go play my butt off for him.''

Griffin said he had a private understanding with Shanahan about going along with the practice plan as long as it led to starting in Week 1.

''There is no arrangement,'' Shanahan countered. ''Our game plan is to play him Week 1. But if there's a setback, we might not be able to play him Week 1. Maybe not 'til Week 5 or 6. ... If there's no setbacks, he'll be ready. He's going to have to trust me there.''

The public song-and-dance will continue until Griffin plays, and maybe beyond. Griffin even took to Twitter to clarify when he had said at his news conference minutes earlier.

''There is no friction,'' he tweeted. ''There is an understanding between coach and player. That is all. Don't have to like everything.''

RG3 just can't stop himself from working the media in his presser, how about you will play when they tell you too. Maybe it's just me and he rubs me the wrong way.

Link to Monday presser

Y! SPORTS
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.

I think what bother me is last year when he got hurt he kind of threw Shanahan under the Bus for not looking out for him and his career. RG3 said he would be smarter about his career and now it seems like he's making it harder on Shanahan to take it slow and be cautious with his knee.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I dunno, I feel like if it was Bradford doing this, we'd all be praising him for his toughness and dedication to the team and its success. The bottom line is players want to play, even if they're hurt. They want to be out there. Wasn't it about a decade ago that Kurt Warner concealed a broken hand from Mike Martz and went out to play against the Eagles in a regular season debacle? Guys just want to be out there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

AP Syndrome: The potentially mistaken and hazardous belief that all ACL tears will heal as rapidly and with as few lasting effects as Adrian Peterson's recent injury and recovery. Symptoms: Extreme bravado regarding one's body's ability to regenerate tissue following invasive surgical procedures. Enhanced risk of re-injury.
    Randart likes this.

This is what I see...

RG3 says there’s no rift with Shanahan
    Posted by Darin Gantt on August 13, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
    Washington Redskins v St. Louis Rams Getty Images

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III made a surprise visit with the media Tuesday, to help try to put out the fire he keeps feeding.

Griffin, who normally only talks to reporters on Mondays, stopped by the podium before Mike Shanahan’s press conference to say “there is no conflict” about the way his comeback is being handled, according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Of course, the whole thing started when Griffin said again Monday that he wanted to do more than he was being allowed to. But he said Tuesday that his words were “twisted and turned” into a controversy, and that he was ready to abide by his coach’s wishes.

“That being said, I’m excited about tomorrow,” he said of his scheduled return to 11-on-11 drills.

Of course, Griffin has kept this thing going by continuing to push, and talk about the pushing. Everyone now gets that he wants to do more in practice, to play in games, etc. And it should be equally clear that Shanahan’s not going to let him, for fear of another flap like last year’s in the playoffs.

I'm starting to get the feeling RG is a little insecure about Kirk Cousins. Cousins came in last year and pulled out a game when RG left due to an injury they where behind. Cousins also won another game that RG missed due to injury. Cousins in NOT RG but he's pretty good.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-14-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Randart is offline Registered User

RG III is undeniably talented... a bit too into projecting his media image yes but alot of youngsters love the bravado and lime lights! What I did not like was his complaining the Rams were too rough on him last year in the regular season game and that we cheap shotted the guy! I think Shanahan is a great coach and took the heat for Robert's injury in the playoffs. Also never responded negatively to his player reportedly throwing him under the bus for it. Surely can't blame the coach for being a bit gun shy for his franchise QB the guy does get injured this was not his first! If he does not change the way he plays he will go down again and sooner than later... imho

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Are there quotes or a video of his comments? It's kind of hard to make a judgment on how he comes across without that kind of info.
    Here you go Nick, I found the video...

Nick likes this.