Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Should The NFL Change It's Player Number System?

There has been a lot of discussion lately about Reggie Bush wanting to keep his college number 5, which is not allowed for running back's in the NFL. Edgerrin James petitioned the NFL to wear number 5, but was denied. Charles Woodson is apparently trying to get permission to wear number 2, and Keyshawn Johnson was given permission to wear number 19 as a reciever. Seems like the NFL has a conflicted history and probably has to seriously address the issue.

Should the system be changed?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Should The NFL Change It's Player Number System?

I have no problem with the current system, and I think it's fine as it is. That said, if they change it and expand the possibilities for certain positions, I probably wouldn't care. I'm rather indifferent about it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure how much freedom these guys get as far as their #'s go on their jerseys, but they're getting paid millions of dollars (most of them), why do they care? It's a system that the organization abides by, and I think it gets a little ridiculous with things like this. Just be happy that you're alive and be happy for the blessing you have by getting paid vast sums of money for playing a sport, its a dream come true for basically all these guys... but on the other hand, I don't think I'll care either which way, its just I don't see why people always gotta have their way and all this stuff! sheeesh

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If I am correct, there is 100 numbers per team, 0-99. (I can't say I have seen a 0 except in a B&W picture...) Each position is assigned certain numbers, as we all know. But, what happens when a player's number is retired? It is out of circulation, unless a team really wants to piss off the fans!
    Here's my understanding of who wears what number:
    Quarterbacks: 1-19
    Running backs: 20-49
    Wide receivers: 10-19 and 80-89
    Tight ends: 80-89
    Centers: 50-59
    Offensive linemen: 60-79
    Defensive linemen: 60-79 and 90-99
    Linebackers: 50-59 and 90-99
    Defensive backs: 20-49
    Placekickers and punters: 1-19
    With a 53-man roster, this means that between QB's, WR's, Punters, kickers, and TE's, as many as 12 or 13 of the assigned numbers are already going to be taken each season. If I counted right, 29 numbers are allocated for these positions in the aggregate. This leaves 16 or 17 'open' numbers per year. For the Rams, #7 and #85 are retired, as they should be, leaving 14 or 15 'open' numbers.
    If Ike's number is retired (which I expect), then Torry's, and Wilkin's, then we are down to 11 or 12. What about Bulger's? Doubtful, but could happen. This leaves 10 or 11.
    If a draftee comes onto the Rams, and expects his old college number, he'd be lucky to get it. Current players ae not likely to give up their number, and there really aren't that many open.

Sooner or later, the NFL will have to address this again. Just 3 or 4 years ago, the Jets ran out of "80's" for wide recievers. That's why 10-19 were made available for WR's.

Guys, I am trying like all heck to remember all of this, and even had to run to the basement to find an old book to make sure of the numbers for what positions. If I made a mistake, please correct me, OK?

This is all probably much ado about nothing, but if the NFL allows Bush an exemption, they might as well just change the number designation rules because I've got to believe there would be a backlash from those denied in the past. That said, my guess is the competition commitee is not going to open a can of worms here and will just deny the exemptions. You never know though.

In the meantime, Bush has been wearing a Saints jersey with number 5 on it at the New Orleans mini-camp. His number is being officially listed as TBD. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Here's my understanding of who wears what number:
    Quarterbacks: 1-19
    Running backs: 20-49
    Wide receivers: 10-19 and 80-89
    Tight ends: 80-89
    Centers: 50-59
    Offensive linemen: 60-79
    Defensive linemen: 60-79 and 90-99
    Linebackers: 50-59 and 90-99
    Defensive backs: 20-49
    Placekickers and punters: 1-19
    Don't put money on all of this, but I think tight ends can wear numbers in the 40s, centers can wearing anything from 50-79, and defensive ends can wear numbers in the 50s.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Don't put money on all of this, but I think tight ends can wear numbers in the 40s, centers can wearing anything from 50-79, and defensive ends can wear numbers in the 50s.
    you correct nick, Jerome Collins is 48 and there are other TE`s that wear 40 numbers ,there is a centre in the NFL with something like 58 tho his name escapes me at the moment;maybe Rioala or Babach??
    not sure about DE`s having numbers in the 50`s,perhaps if they start out as linebackers,tho i tend to think Leonard Little changed his number when he moved from LB to DE!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Drew4EverRams
    not sure about DE`s having numbers in the 50`s,perhaps if they start out as linebackers,tho i tend to think Leonard Little changed his number when he moved from LB to DE!
    But in today's game of hybrid defenses, it's kind of hard to tell the difference between a DE and a LB sometimes.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The only reason I bring up the DEs wearing numbers in the fifties is because of guys like John Abraham and Darryl Tapp who are both in the mid 50s.

Also...

NFL | League to change uniform number rules
    Mon, 15 May 2006 07:35:29 -0700

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I wish LBs could wear numbers in the 80's cuz My favorite number is 85 cuz Gates and Chad Johnson.... i like 81 too..... and Jack Youngblood too!!
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -05-15-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    I wish LBs could wear numbers in the 80's cuz My favorite number is 85 cuz Gates and Chad Johnson.... i like 81 too.....
    Your favorite number should be 85 because of Jack Youngblood, not Gates or Johnson. :tongue:

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

OMG i totally Forgot about Youngblood!!

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Why can't Reggie just wear 25,35, or 45.

If they were to change the number system I wouldn't be able to tell who is a LB or DE or TE or WR and S and LB.

NFL | League to change uniform number rules
    Mon, 15 May 2006 07:35:29 -0700

ESPN reports the NFL has decided to change their policy regarding uniform numbers. No details of the agreement have been disclosed.
    Doesn't any rule change have to be rubber stamped by the owners, who meet later this month?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast